Sponsored by:

So a couple newb questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK230, E55, Trail Jeep
So a couple newb questions

Got my 06 e55 a month ago, and have put about 40 miles on it in that time, but have a couple questions about some noises. I searched around, and found that this engine has a history of odd sounds, all of which are normal. So here is my question. When I start up the car I can hear a sound of and air leak kind of what you would hear from a bicycle tube with a small puncture in it coming from around the power steering pump area. It seems to go away as the engine heats up, after a 10 mile drive today, I could not hear it when I got home. Does anybody else have this sound with theirs? I had another small question too, before I bought the car, the dealer changed the battery with an aftermarket one, (no name I had heard of) when the car sits for a week plus, its too low to start it. For example, today when I did the 10 mile drive, I had to hook it up to the charger for only about 45 min to get the car to start, but this gets old. Read that a MB battery is best, does it make enough difference that it could be the source of my problem?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
The "hissing" could possibly be an exhaust leak and the battery issue could be not a battery issue at all and an altenator. The fact that the dealer replaced it right before the sale and its already bad points at this. A standard battery test can confirm or deny this of course.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I got my 06 E55 a few months ago and had been concerned about the noises from under the hood. This thread reassured me quite a bit, it sounds like your noises are normal. Although you may just need to get a new battery.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
The air leak sound maybe your secondary air injection pump.
Even a aftermarket battery should not die after 10 days in normal weather conditions. Drive it daily to see if the problem persists.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK230, E55, Trail Jeep
One other question I guess I have, is about my parking sensors. All I can seem to find on searching is how to retrofit parktronic, but thats not my issue. The car has parking sensors on the front and back, and makes a couple quick beeps when you shift into reverse. The dash indicators (front and back dash) are not there though. Also you can put it in reverse with something just behind the car and there is no difference than what you have with nothing behind the car. With the battery, maybe the voltage regulator? I might have to get it looked at, since I don't want to just throw parts at it.