W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Key Won't Turn In Ignition, Keyless Go is Now "Keyless No Go"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2013 | 10:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 Sedan (Peuter)
Key Won't Turn In Ignition, Keyless Go is Now "Keyless No Go"

Guys, I'm having a problem getting the key to turn in the ignition of my 05 E55. Besides the key not turning, the Keyless Go will also not work. Both of these problems started happening at the same time. The remote still operates the door locks.

Here's what I've tried to fix the problem. Replaced key fob batteries with brand new ones from the store. Gave the ignition LED and the key LED a good wipe down with rubbing alcohol. Charged car battery, which is now at 14.5 volts (just tested with voltimeter). Checked to make sure gear selector is all the way in park. Tried moving the wheel back and forth, pressing the lock/unlock several times (both on the dash and FOB), and disconnecting the car battery. Don't know what's causing this!

More info: problem started happening after I parked the car for about two weeks without starting it. Car battery didn't get all the way drained, but I think it may have been a little low. Don't know if that helps diagnosis.

Anyway, what gives? Anyone got any tips?!?! Trying to get this baby sold and something tells me nobody will buy it if they can't actually turn the key :-P
Old 01-07-2013 | 10:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
It is probably the small transponder chip in your key. It is bad and the car does not detect it. That is way is not unlocking the steering wheel. You will need a new key.
Old 01-08-2013 | 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
Is your steering wheel at full lock?

Mine did exactly the same thing when the steering wheel was at full lock and the steering column lock couldn't release. Had to have 2 people crank the wheel to get it to release!
Old 01-08-2013 | 11:38 AM

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
E63s s213 2019 ,SOLD E63 Weistec, E55, C36
Id go with Justins answer

I dont the same, full locked the wheel and shut the car, what happens is that the steering bounces back a little and puts pressure on the steering lock, so you have to turn the steering hard the other way whilst turning the key.

it was embarassing when the MB breakdown guy came and took him 5 secs to do it!
Old 04-11-2016 | 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55
Kurtwz, I too have the same problem you describe with my 05 E55 i.e. Remote ignition sensor and entry doesn't respond, ignition key won't turn, no electrical's what so ever.

The car was working just fine until this. Did you manage to get yours resolved? If so, can you please share the details?

Thanks
Old 04-11-2016 | 04:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 Sedan (Peuter)
Originally Posted by E55F1
Kurtwz, I too have the same problem you describe with my 05 E55 i.e. Remote ignition sensor and entry doesn't respond, ignition key won't turn, no electrical's what so ever.

The car was working just fine until this. Did you manage to get yours resolved? If so, can you please share the details?

Thanks
Ahhh, nuts! I can't remember. Sorry, brother. I got it working somehow. Anyone else have an update on this known issue? Maybe I just replaced the battery. I seem to remember buying batteries like crazy for the key fob and even found an online source for them to get them cheaper. Maybe I thought that it couldn't be the batteries because I had just replaced them like a month ago or so, but it ended up using them that fast. Anyone with ideas?
Old 12-16-2016 | 07:46 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
I have keyless go option. Two keys, one doesn't work to keyless open door/start car/wont even work when inserted. Other key all functions work properly. Is there a way to make the car recognize the nonfunctioning key , a "reboot" if you will? Maybe try a new battery?

Last edited by Dublinoh; 12-16-2016 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 02-15-2017 | 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E55
I dropped my key fob in the garage the other day and when i picked it up, it will lock and unlock doors, but won't do anything when inserted into ignition. After reading your posts (Think you) I called MB of Sarasota and went in and ordered new key. $298 two days later got new key fob (newer design also) and car works fine!! Thanks for your posts!!