Sponsored by:

Any cautions on buying a used Timeport?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 11:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
16V190, E55, Porsches several
Any cautions on buying a used Timeport?

Obviously alot of phone threads and it's a complicated issue but.... does a guy have to be concerned about buying a used MB Timeport as to whether the MB firmware (for Command integration) is still OK & in tact?

I seem to recall a story way back about a carrier that tried to reflash firmware and then affected the phones functionality.........I could be off on this and just overly concerned.......(but needless to say, the reason you'd pay the premium for these phones, is not the MB badge on the top, but rather the firmware within).........TIA

Last edited by GreggT; 08-05-2003 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:47 AM

Let me add, if I might..........anyone selling a CDMA P8767 from a Command equipt car....please give me a holler. TIA.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of the above
Hi greg,

As far as buying a used "Mercedes-Benz" timeport.

Only MB phones will work in a MB equiped with the phone system.

The phones are also programmed to a specific carrier. i.e.: If you use Verizon you need a Verizon phone (or AT&T, Sprint)
Of course if you get a good deal on a Sprint phone just sign up for a Sprint plan.

As far as the software being intact we sell a lot of used Benzes with phone kits in them and I have never seena phone that was "deprogrammed". If it is a MB phone it should work in any MB that originally had a timeport.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:52 PM

Thankyou.

The last two sentences were dead-on for my question, but the rest was all good info to reiterate.
Guess I would possibly question the 'programming' for a specific carrier though.............when I bought the AMG, all the out-of-state dlr wanted to know was.... whether I wanted TDMA or CDMA (not the carrier).

Point is........I took the phone in and my carrier brought it up on their system. THAT flash of that carrier's protocals & I.Ds is partially what I was concerned with..........we have at least 3 CDMA carriers currently in our market........each would have to do this (if they would allow me on their network).

Last edited by GreggT; 08-06-2003 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by GreggT

Point is........I took the phone in and my carrier brought it up on their system. THAT flash of that carrier's protocals & I.Ds is partially what I was concerned with..........we have at least 3 CDMA carriers currently in our market........each would have to do this (if they would allow me on their network).
They don't "flash" it to bring it up on their system. They just program the system ID and the phone number. This is all accessed through menus on the phone, or through the "quick programming" keystrokes.

Also, your phone does not have to be from a "COMAND equipped" car. My CLK had a CDMA Timeport in it (8767) but no COMAND. (Of course now, it has COMAND and a Nokia phone...)

-s-
Old 08-06-2003, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The flash that the carrier does loads the PRL (Preferred Roaming List) in the case of CDMA phones or the IRDB (Intelligent Roaming DataBase) in the case of TDMA phones. That's all. It won't change the firmware that is Benz specific so no worries there.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55 & 1988 BMW M6
does anybody know if there's a way to convert/adapt the existing system, so that I may use my nokia[w/verizon svc] phone, rather than swapping my nokia for the out-dated motorola?
Old 08-07-2003, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by kaneman
The flash that the carrier does loads the PRL (Preferred Roaming List) in the case of CDMA phones or the IRDB (Intelligent Roaming DataBase) in the case of TDMA phones. That's all. It won't change the firmware that is Benz specific so no worries there.
That's not a flash, it's an OTA program. Unless the Timeport is different, then I am incorrect.

-s-
Old 08-07-2003, 09:42 AM

OK.......I'll admit "flash" was a poor choice on my part.......I just recall it was something the rep did not want to program at the counter and the tech took it in back and whatever........still a little unclear about the comment about phones being pre-programed for a particular carrier (for life) per my example of the dlr only asking if I wanted TDMA or CDMA (not Verizon, US Cellular, Einstien, ATT&T, yada, yada)..........now, I guess it's possible that Sprint is the 'odd duck' here?.......as I think I've heard people say those phones are pretty much alone in use/flexibility as applies to MB?

Bottom line is..........if I guy needs an old MB CDMA P8767 to go on Verizon.......does he have to be looking for one that's been on Verizon (or just a MB CDMA that's not Sprint, or whatever)..........hey, I enjoy technology as much as the next guy but