Command with DVD Navi
Power Rear-windows sunshade
CD Changer
Keyless go
Hands Free Comm w/VCS
Std Standard Edition
319 Lighting Package
Drive Dynamic Seats

Do you think I am missing anything important? I thought the cruise control was too expensive and didn't want the possible creeking on the big sun roof.

amgB
Old 08-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
Nope, I think you have covered all the right bases!!! Did they tell you when you should expect to take delivery? BTW, congratulations!!!
Old 08-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Banned

Almost forgot, any reason that you did not opt for the Trunk Closer? It seems that you got everything else and it is not that expensive of an item.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Re: Am I missing anything

Originally posted by AMGB
I have optioned out my 04 E55. Build date 9/20

Black Opal
Charcoal Nappa
Parktronics
Rear Side-Windows Roller Blinds
Active Ventilated Seats
Tire-Pressure Monitoring
Command with DVD Navi
Power Rear-windows sunshade
CD Changer
Keyless go
Hands Free Comm w/VCS
Std Standard Edition
319 Lighting Package
Drive Dynamic Seats

Do you think I am missing anything important? I thought the cruise control was too expensive and didn't want the possible creeking on the big sun roof.

amgB
E1? Is this 319 lighting package above?
Illuminated door sills? Cool or just too trendy?
Trunk closer? Cool but another item to break.

Personally, I'd dump the Parktronic. IMHO, Parktronic looks terrible on the bumpers and it malfuntions quite often if the sensors get dirty. My dad is ready to rip it out of his S500 Sport. Besides, how hard is it to park a small sedan like the E?

Also, will the $2000 worth of telephone equipment include UHI? If not, I'd be wary of dropping that much cash for outdated technology.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:53 PM

2003 E55,2005 Ferrari F430 Spider, 2005 Corvette 427 TT, 2005 Range Rover
The Panorama doesn't creak. If cost is not an issue, I would definitely add it and the solar panel on a black car. I would not waste the money on the Tire monitor. It still needs work.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Does anyone know if the rumors about TP monitoing becoming standard? I read someplace that the US gov't will require it.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Where did you hear that the pano would creak? You're scaring me!

Burl is a no cost option. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:07 PM
D-5

2003 E55
anyone find the power sunshade useful? With the sunshade on, I can't see clearly on what's behind me.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your input.

Trunk closer. I think I can close the truck the normal way. Didn't want to spend money on that.

Lighting package is for the bi-xenon lights.

Pano roof. I was just afraid of creaking down the road in a few years. I don't use my sun roof much so I didn't want to spend the money.

The comment about 2K for the phone option without UHI or bluetooth is a totally valid one. It kills me to think I am spending around 2K just so I can talk in my car. Do you think we can add the new phone technology to the car later?

I am thinking about leasing it for 4 years then picking up the E63.

amgB
Old 08-12-2003, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
D-5, I'll be using the rear shades while the car is parked, not while driving. I think that's what they had in mind.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:25 PM
air

Re: Re: Am I missing anything

Originally posted by E55AMG99
Personally, I'd dump the Parktronic. IMHO, Parktronic looks terrible on the bumpers and it malfuntions quite often if the sensors get dirty. My dad is ready to rip it out of his S500 Sport. Besides, how hard is it to park a small sedan like the E?
Is there a way to turn off or mute the Parktronic feature? Or is it always on whenever you backup?
Old 08-12-2003, 05:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Am I missing anything

Originally posted by air
Is there a way to turn off or mute the Parktronic feature? Or is it always on whenever you backup?
Yes--there's a button next to the shifter.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
The S500 has a button on the dash above the NAV screen that will disable the Parktronic as will driving faster than 11 MPH. The E has one too. However, if you slow down again, the system will enable itself.

We were in Italy for a month and had to drive on some very dusty roads at slow speeds. Every time the car would drop below 11 MPH, it would beep for 2-3 seconds. Normally, it is not suposed to do this but with the dust and some high speed bugs plastered into the sensors daily, it was almost a constant annoyance.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:49 PM
air

Originally posted by E55AMG99
The S500 has a button on the dash above the NAV screen that will disable the Parktronic as will driving faster than 11 MPH. The E has one too. However, if you slow down again, the system will enable itself.

We were in Italy for a month and had to drive on some very dusty roads at slow speeds. Every time the car would drop below 11 MPH, it would beep for 2-3 seconds. Normally, it is not suposed to do this but with the dust and some high speed bugs plastered into the sensors daily, it was almost a constant annoyance.
Wow... if this is the case, has anyone here had any (or heard of any) bad experiences with Parktronic in the rain or snow where the sensors would be partially or fully covered?

BTW, aren't the sensors in the back? I would think splattered bugs wouldn't be an issue... (unless you were driving backwards really fast)
Old 08-12-2003, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by air
Wow... if this is the case, has anyone here had any (or heard of any) bad experiences with Parktronic in the rain or snow where the sensors would be partially or fully covered?

BTW, aren't the sensors in the back? I would think splattered bugs wouldn't be an issue... (unless you were driving backwards really fast)
They are in front and back. I think there are 3 or 4 sensors on each corner.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Banned

I think Parktronic is a neat feature, but something I would pass on IMO! BTW, they have made the sensors in the front & rear bumpers a lot less noticable on the MY03 and newer models!!!!
Old 08-12-2003, 06:02 PM

I would get the pano roof but dump the parktronic.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:24 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 174 Posts
Had the park T on my 03 CLK 500, it was about a second or two too late to react...pass on it and get something else. Since you like the black opal check out the new color cadet blue ( its a new color for the 04 w209's) its very nice.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:46 PM

I have to disagree on this one. I have parktronic (this is my first MB with this option) and its been great. Have not had it in snow yet but no problems with activating or beeping in the rain (and we've had some very heavy rain here in the past week). In any event, it only beeps when you hit the red LEDs when you are very close (i.e. time to stop the car). Otherwise, its just yellow indicator lights and no sound (at least that's the way mine is working). The system has the distance down perfect too. When you hit the red lights and hear the sound you are very close but not too close. I have found that its best to stop right before the red lights come on and you hear the beep, particularly when backing into a spot. Another nice part about it is that it has some "side range" so that when you are pulling into a tight spot but can't quite see the front (or rear) corner of the car, if you get too close to the front corner the lights will start to light.

I'd say the only potential problem is that if you are backing into a spot that has one of those concrete "stoppers" (don't know the technical term) and it is a high one, you could potentially back over it and scratch the bottom of the rear ground effects without having had the parktronic warn you because it doesn't seem to warn for objects that low. The same could happen in the front. I remember with the CLK 430 I almost tore the front air dam off on one of the parking curb things because I pulled too far over it and when I backed up it got stuck. I don't think parktronic would protect against that. Otherwise, I like the option but maybe the novelty factor will wear off.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:31 PM

2003 E55,2005 Ferrari F430 Spider, 2005 Corvette 427 TT, 2005 Range Rover
I love Parktronic. It's great for backing into garage. For regullar parking I really don't get much use though.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
I'm a minimalist and here's my spin on option selection.

CD changer-must have.

Xenons-must have

Keyless go-cool toy but pricey

Tire pressure monitoring system has been problematic. With these low profile tires, you'll likely know when the tires are significantly low on pressure. Not recommended.

High quality window tinting costs about $200, looks cool, and blocks out most of the heat. This would eliminate the need for any sunshades.

Parktronic is nice for $400, not what MB charges for it.

Active ventilated seats are not very effective according to most posters.

Drive dynamic seats are pretty cool, but they are expensive. The standard AMG seats are GREAT! No need to upgrade here.

The remaining options AMGB chose are all based on preference and need( nav, phone).

I love the pano roof, but for the non-AMG cars. Why pay $1500 more to get a glass roof for the backseat that doesn't even open. Creaking should not be an issue for fixed glass in the roof. The issue is that MB builds the price of a moonroof into the base MSRP for the E55. They don't credit you $1000 when you upgrade to a panoramic roof. The pano roof is great for an E500 where no moonroof is standard and you can either pay $1500 for the pano or $1550 for the E2 package with moonroof and premium sound system.

As long as it has an AMG supercharged V8, it's an E55 regardless of the options. The power is the thing!

Last edited by Dr Chill; 08-12-2003 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
the pano roof is worth every penny...even if you dont open it at all. i have it on my c coupe and its what makes the car. the 2002 pano roof on the coup did creak but i took it into service and they fixed it no problem. they corrected the problem with the 2003's so you shouldn't have any problem. let me just say that every passenger that gets into you car will first admire your roof and then admire your performance. just my .02
Old 08-13-2003, 02:27 AM

Re: Re: Am I missing anything

A small sedan?? Not quite the way I would describe the E55. I think parktronic is essential on a car of this value. I have had no trouble with it whatsoever.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:21 AM

Thanks for all the input. This has been very helpful. In all honesty, I think all of MB's option are way over priced.

amgB
Old 08-13-2003, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Re: Re: Re: Am I missing anything

Originally posted by JasonC
A small sedan?? Not quite the way I would describe the E55. I think parktronic is essential on a car of this value. I have had no trouble with it whatsoever.
By today's standards, I guess it would be called a midsize but overall, the car is fairly small compared to SUVs and such. I'm used to parking much larger things into some very small spaces.

To me, it's not worth the $ nor the ugly bumpers for something we have been parking without for all our lives.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Am I missing anything