W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-pipe eliminates exhaust drone?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jcjmw
Hulk you were able to fit that magnaflow muffler in location of resonator?
Originally Posted by Hulk
I have seen it done
I also believe jonncy had that as well
Here's what I have found from my personal experience:

Resonator and muffler delete = ear bleeding drone!

Magnaflow tru-x fits perfectly in resonator location (see pic) but does very little to eliminate drone.

"J" pipes installed in the location of deleted mufflers eliminates all drone and car has incredible exhaust note. One of the other members here pointed me in the right direction but I can't recall who it was now. If you search for "J pipe" you should be able to get some great info on the subject.

Regards

X-pipe eliminates exhaust drone?-magnaflow.jpg
Old 01-27-2013, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by Kickem
Here's what I have found from my personal experience:

Resonator and muffler delete = ear bleeding drone!

Magnaflow tru-x fits perfectly in resonator location (see pic) but does very little to eliminate drone.

"J" pipes installed in the location of deleted mufflers eliminates all drone and car has incredible exhaust note. One of the other members here pointed me in the right direction but I can't recall who it was now. If you search for "J pipe" you should be able to get some great info on the subject.

Regards
I too was going to install a j pipe where my mufflers were. But, since I still have my secondary cats and stock H pipe in place, the Borla in place of the resonator got rid of almost all my drone.

I am assuming you deleted your 2ndary cats and all that oem H piping by the transmission?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jcjmw
I am assuming you deleted your 2ndary cats and all that oem H piping by the transmission?
Correct. Deleted 2nd cats and replaced the H pipe with an X pipe. Later added the Magnaflow tru-x so I actually have two crossovers.

Last edited by Kickem; 01-27-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:26 PM

e63
@Kickem

Why not go from your first X, straight to the mufflers?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
05 E55, 06 Audi S4
How do these cars sound if basically stock exhaust besides headers, and second cat delete? I don't want anything too loud. Only exhaust upgrade I have is headers. Was thinking about removing secondary cats and calling it a day.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:47 PM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
Has anyone tried second resonator delete, with Borla replacing the stock mufflers?

Smog management is strict here in CA so I don't want to mess with cats.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:04 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ehaze
@Kickem

Why not go from your first X, straight to the mufflers?
That certainly would be one option and some of the guys here have done exactly that and been happy with the results. I was looking for a little more aggressive exhaust tone so I removed the 2nd cats, resonator and stock mufflers and then started adding components back. The x pipe basically does nothing to reduce drone or overall noise level and we knew from the beginning we wanted to try the Magnaflow in place of the resonator. After installing those two items the drone was still deafening somewhere between 1800 and 2300 rpm so I put some 12" bullets toward the rear of the car. The bullets reduced the drone slightly but the cabin noise was still too unrefined for such a nice car so I started looking for other solutions. Other members had success using J pipes and after talking my exhaust guy into trying them I was amazed at the results. The drone was completely gone and all that was left was a very aggressive throaty exhaust that absolutely roars at WOT. I am completely pleased with the results and do not plan to make any changes to the exhaust anytime soon.

Last edited by Kickem; 01-27-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09 SL63 AMG
That certainly would be one option and some of the guys here have done exactly that and been happy with the results. I was looking for a little more aggressive exhaust tone so I removed the 2nd cats, resonator and stock mufflers and then started adding components back. The x pipe basically does nothing to reduce drone or overall noise level and we knew from the beginning we wanted to try the Magnaflow in place of the resonator. After installing those two items the drone was still deafening somewhere between 1800 and 2300 rpm so I put some 12" bullets toward the rear of the car. The bullets reduced the drone slightly but the cabin noise was still too unrefined for such a nice car so I started looking for other solutions. Other members had success using J pipes and after talking my exhaust guy into trying them I was amazed at the results. The drone was completely gone and all that was left was a very aggressive throaty exhaust that absolutely roars at WOT. I am completely pleased with the results and do not plan to make any changes to the exhaust anytime soon.
Kickem, that is great!

Would you please show us pictures of your exhaust set up, and detailed location and dimension of the J pipe?
Please!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ygha
Kickem, that is great!

Would you please show us pictures of your exhaust set up, and detailed location and dimension of the J pipe?
Please!
I don't have ramps at my house so I won't be able to get a picture of the x pipe or collector area but I'll try to get a shot of the J pipes and corresponding dimensions. I believe to sweet spot for the J pipe was right around 23" long and they curl up into the void where the stock mufflers used to be.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 AM

09 SL63 AMG
I don't have ramps at my house so I won't be able to get a picture of the x pipe or collector area but I'll try to get a shot of the J pipes and corresponding dimensions. I believe to sweet spot for the J pipe was right around 23" long and they curl up into the void where the stock mufflers used to be.
Thank you Kickem!
Looking forward to your J-pipe photo.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:28 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ygha
Thank you Kickem!
Looking forward to your J-pipe photo.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I kept thinking I would have an opportunity to stop by my buddies shop and get it on the lift and take some better pictures but it never happened.

The circled area and arrow show where the J pipe is split off from the rest of the exhaust. As you can see, it parallels the exhaut pipe for a bit before it curls up into the void where the stock mufflers used to be and is capped at the end. I couldn't really measure the overall length of the J but looked back at some of the other posts regarding this setup and it looks like 29" was the preferred length. I tried to get a better shot of the actual J pipe itself but the rest of the exhaust is blocking it and without it being in the air this is as good as it gets. Hope it helps.

X-pipe eliminates exhaust drone?-jpipe_zps78e63826.jpg
Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 AM

07 E63. 07 STi limited #606/800
I still don' thave an X pipe, but yet removed my secondary cats and resonator. I still have no drone.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:04 AM

09 SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by infantry
I still don' thave an X pipe, but yet removed my secondary cats and resonator. I still have no drone.
You will have no drone, if you keep the stock mufflers.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:05 AM

09 SL63 AMG
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I kept thinking I would have an opportunity to stop by my buddies shop and get it on the lift and take some better pictures but it never happened.

The circled area and arrow show where the J pipe is split off from the rest of the exhaust. As you can see, it parallels the exhaut pipe for a bit before it curls up into the void where the stock mufflers used to be and is capped at the end. I couldn't really measure the overall length of the J but looked back at some of the other posts regarding this setup and it looks like 29" was the preferred length. I tried to get a better shot of the actual J pipe itself but the rest of the exhaust is blocking it and without it being in the air this is as good as it gets. Hope it helps.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
e63 p30 estate
May I ask you how much you spent, in total, removing second cats, adding the x-pipe, adding the bullet, then finally adding the J-pipe? Just curious.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by TonyC
May I ask you how much you spent, in total, removing second cats, adding the x-pipe, adding the bullet, then finally adding the J-pipe? Just curious.
It wasn't that much really because my buddy owns the muffler shop.... I would say from start to finish I was into it for maybe $500 which included the Magnaflow muffler, x pipe, bullets and j pipes. Would guess it would be a couple hundred more if all the labor was included. I also made most of that back when I sold the factory exhaust and stock mufflers that were removed.