Sponsored by:

Ported 55k heads anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
And that first time we raced, I got molested sooooo bad.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but here are some pics of the ported heads that I got from Shardul.

I actually wanted a beefed up engine with weistec s/c from EC but there was no way I could get that idea past the money crunchers. A compromise was reached and that was ported heads. I do not yet have a tune to maximize the ported heads (the current tune was extremely rich and it is still very rich, although not as rich as before the ported heads). But, even with the very rich tune, I can feel more power in the car. From my butt, it feels like there is more power up top vs lower rpms. There is more power at all rpms but it feels like its pulling more at higher rpms. I wish (stupid of me not to) I would have remembered to get a before dyno...but oh well. For those of you that have maxed out other bolt-ons and are looking for more, I would say try the ported heads.

Just in case you are wondering, I paid $1,500 to have the heads installed. The final bill was more, as I had other work done on the car (lke the f'ing airbag...urgh) but that was the total amount they told me was for the ported heads and my indy gave me a discount since I am loyal customer. Some of you can do this work..but I am not one of those and paid a trusted indy shop to do it. For my indy, this was nothing to him as he has done this type of work 40+times...not all of them E55s but all mercedes.

This is not exactly an inexpensive mod but it is worth at this stage (where I am keeping my car until 200k miles, right now I am at 119k miles). I am extremely happy that I got them...now I just need to get the right tune to take better advantage of it.

Also, my esp now blinks at 55 mph and 60 mph when I just stop on it. I never noticed that before the ported heads.
Attached Thumbnails Ported 55k heads anyone?-photo-1.jpg   Ported 55k heads anyone?-photo-2.jpg   Ported 55k heads anyone?-photo-3.jpg  

Last edited by jcjmw; 06-30-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
Yes, get that updated tune and raise the rev limiter to 6,800. Does your TCU have the torque limiters raised? I ran into that problem after the heads.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by Denroll
Yes, get that updated tune and raise the rev limiter to 6,800. Does your TCU have the torque limiters raised? I ran into that problem after the heads.
No, I don't yet have TCU tune, so no raise in rev limiter. Does TCU tune REALLY make that much of a difference?
Old 07-01-2014, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
Honestly, I didn't have much time in my car before I got the TCU tune. I do remember thinking that it shifted faster and firmer afterwards and definitely reacted better to the paddle shifters. The other biggie is raising the torque limiter in the TCU. Once you hit that, it starts cutting power.