Sponsored by:

WEISTEC: Setting the record straight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
Weistec
In the years of business, we have never left a customer in the rain whether it was our fault or theirs. It is important to make a few things clear, and this is the intention of this message.

The tune was in fact edited. The tuner did run the engine lean, and add about 4-5 degrees of ignition advance. These are two major issues that can cause an engine failure.

We do in fact set fail safes in our tunes. The clutch assembly being removed does not mean we remove all fail safes. How do many OEM's such as Ford, GM, Audi, etc. do this? We have been running our M156 supercharger system with no clutch and no engine failures for the past few years. When intake air temperatures start to get hot, ignition timing is retarded. Not to mention fuel is then added as well. When global changes are being made to timing and fuel, the result can be catastrophic.

In terms of this particular car running very hot intake air temperatures, we are positive there were issues with the existing cooling system. One as an example was the fact that 12mm hose was ran from the trunk tank (that was not provided by us) to the supercharger system. This hose should be at least 19mm or 3/4". We assisted the owner and the shop throughout the re-installation of the lines, and we needed more information to understand if this was something that was an issue with our system, or the parts that were installed on the car.

Things like, please install the larger upper pulley on the car. (This car is ran in high elevation and the customer wanted to match the boost. We sent him a different pulley combo to do so.) Although the car might not make the same boost because of air density, it is still spinning faster than our test cars, and we wanted apples to apples comparison.

Buy a new IAT sensor and install it. They installed a used one.

We wanted to see if the two pumps (one in the trunk and one in front) were fighting each other. We asked how they were wired.

We also asked if the owner can run the car on the dyno once again, and perhaps put some ice in the tank. This gauges weather our intercooler system is actually transferring heat. If the ice were to stay cold, there might be an air bubble in the system.

NONE of these were done, for the exception of installed a used IAT sensor. We reached out here just like we always do. It is the customers choice weather they want to take the advice of the company who manufactured the product and has quite a bit of knowledge in this particular field.

We also want to state that the compressor and intercooler core used on the M113K system is the same exact part as the M156 system. In both applications, if all directions were followed we have never seen such high intake air temperatures, not even on a summer day in Dubai.

Weistec Engineering

Last edited by Weistec; 02-08-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
My recommendation to AJM was the same as he said to me: keep it off the forums until you know what is wrong! People are going to do what people do and around here that seems to speculate and point fingers prematurely. When my engine blew, it took me over a month before we could tell what caused it. I had more fingers pointed in more directions, everything from the tune to the parts. When it turned out to be a clogged injector, that was that and everyone who had something to say was wrong. Nobody ever acknowledged that they were wrong, of course.

It takes time to figure out what went wrong. AJM assured me that he wanted to find out exactly what went wrong before going public to avoid exactly what is happening now.

Best of luck with the rebuild project and my offer for help still stands. I'm sure Weistec will work this miscommunication out with you and help you get back on the road. I think this kit is a quality piece and has potential for these cars.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Originally Posted by Hulk
thats when the iats were at 185-195*...

so that means that the car was already pulling timing
According to the OP the car didn't pull any timing, unless I misunderstood his comments.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
maybe I misunderstood also bro, but if you are looking at high iats like that the car had to be pulling timing
Old 02-08-2013, 01:16 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
185-190 deg of AIT won't kill the motor itself. On my turbo truck I had 188 deg AIT with 19 deg timing on 10 lbs of boost and never had a problem. I run 100 octane and my AFR is around 11.5 though. I have since got a bigger intercooler and got the AIT down to 150... My point is, I don't believe the AIT alone is what killed the motor.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

maybe I misunderstood also bro, but if you are looking at high iats like that the car had to be pulling timing
I completely agree it should have been pulling timing, once AJM get's back on we can find out what it was actually doing.

Weistec, how do you know 4-5 degrees of timing was added to the tune?
Old 02-08-2013, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Ajm was very sure that the tune was not touched
Old 02-08-2013, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge
185-190 deg of AIT won't kill the motor itself. On my turbo truck I had 188 deg AIT with 19 deg timing on 10 lbs of boost and never had a problem. I run 100 octane and my AFR is around 11.5 though. I have since got a bigger intercooler and got the AIT down to 150... My point is, I don't believe the AIT alone is what killed the motor.
I would agree with you that it may not have been the only problem, but comparing what I'm assuming has a built motor in it to a stock E55 motor isn't exactly apples to apples. Plus different motor designs can safely take different amounts of timing.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:22 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Jerry, Jake pmed me earlier, I didnt start this crap with tuners between you and OE, I could care less because you BOTH have blown engines, so if you wanna continue this because your pigboy wanted this, then thats your choice
I could care less about OE... you're not understanding my complaint.

You said above (and many other times) that "you BOTH have blown engines". What you are insinuating is that the software (either by OE, Weistec, EC, Etc) is to blame for the motor failure. These types of slanderous comments need to stop. I WILL FILE A LAWSUIT against this forum and the people involved if these accusations continue.

I have been the only tuner on this forum to admit that I tuned a car that had motor failure. I'm upset that it happened and I wish there was something I could do, but the FACT is.....it wasn't software related.

Just for the record.... I have tuned one members car on this forum 3 times and all 3 times have ended in motor failure. The owner of this car is a friend, fellow car lover, and also someone that I buy parts from. The last time the motor went we were running a 10 AFR and near stock ignition...it happened the first pull on the dyno.

I have no problem with speculation and I'm even willing to help figure out the issue, but I will not tolerate someone pointing fingers at me or my company....

Thank you!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
so then whenever anyone says that OE, or EC or weistec blew up their motor, they have to be afraid of a lawsuit?
Old 02-08-2013, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
PA, its a combo of the hardware and tune...
How can you say this if you don't know...which you don't know.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 PM

2005 E55 AMG
"so then whenever anyone says that OE, or EC or weistec blew up their motor, they have to be afraid of a lawsuit?"

You are 100000% correct and if you don't realize this, you are playing with fire!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
lol..ya ok, then at least 50% of people all over the internet should be getting sued, give me a break

You have to show damages, its not so simple
Old 02-08-2013, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Originally Posted by GT-ER
How can you say this if you don't know...which you don't know.
ok....

well if the iats climbed that high then the hardware (IC) wasnt working well and if the timing wasnt pulled fast enough then the sw didnt do its job
Old 02-08-2013, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by forcefed4door
I know ill be staying away from weistec. Best of luck on getting your issues resolved.
lol..ya ok, then at least 50% of people all over the internet should be getting sued, give me a break

You have to show damages, its not so simple
The quote by forcefed4door can be interpreted as "loss of income" and therefore shows damages that were caused by you. Just listen to blackbenz and run your car, not your mouth.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ok....

well if the iats climbed that high then the hardware (IC) wasnt working well and if the timing wasnt pulled fast enough then the sw didnt do its job
The problem is there are a lot more parts to the IC system then just the IC itself. Without us seeing a log how would we know that timing wasn't pulled in a acceptable manner?
Old 02-08-2013, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
i know that...but something went horribly wrong

hey Lenin, I have a lawyer on retainer if anyone wants to sue me, go ahead, thanks for the advice
Old 02-08-2013, 01:47 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Hulk, why do you have a lawyer on retainer if you know you can't be sued?
Old 02-08-2013, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
ok....

mercedes factory hoses that were leaking could of caused this, mercedes factory ic pump (or aftermarket johnson or miezer pump), air bubbles in the lines from not being properly bleed, etc etc etc all of which are not weistec hardware...

so if you know 100% that it is the weistec intercooler then prove it .... if not, it can be many other pieces of non-weistec hardware that cause iat to climb
Old 02-08-2013, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
for business reasons, I didnt go out and get one now because I got scared lol
Old 02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Originally Posted by gaspam
mercedes factory hoses that were leaking could of caused this, mercedes factory ic pump (or aftermarket johnson or miezer pump), air bubbles in the lines from not being properly bleed, etc etc etc all of which are not weistec hardware...

so if you know 100% that it is the weistec intercooler then prove it .... if not, it can be many other pieces of non-weistec hardware that cause iat to climb
Why are you so much into protecting weistec when now they come out and say that the tune was modified when Ajm said that it was NOT are you guys serious?? Ajm said that if weistec said that it would be basically putting down his integrity because he knows it was NOT touched but you guys wanna protect weistec when Ajm is the victim and weistec is slithering out of this
Old 02-08-2013, 01:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Weistec
In the years of business, we have never left a customer in the rain whether it was our fault or theirs. It is important to make a few things clear, and this is the intention of this message.

The tune was in fact edited. The tuner did run the engine lean, and add about 4-5 degrees of ignition advance. These are two major issues that can cause an engine failure.

We do in fact set fail safes in our tunes. The clutch assembly being removed does not mean we remove all fail safes. How do many OEM's such as Ford, GM, Audi, etc. do this? We have been running our M156 supercharger system with no clutch and no engine failures for the past few years. When intake air temperatures start to get hot, ignition timing is retarded. Not to mention fuel is

then added as well. When global changes are being made to timing and fuel, the result can be catastrophic.

In terms of this particular car running very hot intake air temperatures, we are positive there were issues with the existing cooling system. One as an example was the fact that 12mm hose was ran

from the trunk tank (that was not provided by us) to the supercharger system. This hose should be at least 19mm or 3/4". We assisted the owner and the shop throughout the re-installation of the lines, and we needed more information to understand if this was something that was an issue with our system, or the parts that were
installed on the car.

Things like, please install the larger upper pulley on the car. (This car is ran in high elevation and the customer wanted to match the boost. We sent him a different pulley combo to do so.) Although the car might not make the same boost because of air density, it is still spinning faster than our test cars, and we wanted apples to apples comparison.

Buy a new IAT sensor and install it. They installed a used one.

We wanted to see if the two pumps (one in the trunk and one in front) were fighting each other. We asked how they were wired.

We also asked if the owner can run the car on the dyno once again, and perhaps put some ice in the tank. This gauges weather our intercooler system is actually transferring heat. If the ice were to stay cold, there might be an air bubble in the system.
NONE of these were done, for the exception of installed a used IAT sensor. We reached out here just like we always do. It is the customers choice weather they want to take the advice of the company who manufactured the product

and has quite a bit of knowledge in this particular field.

We also want to state that the compressor and intercooler core used on the M113K system is the same exact part as the M156 system. In both applications, if all directions were followed we have never seen such high
intake air temperatures, not even on a summer day in Dubai.

Weistec Engineering

Some of what is recorded here is accurate, some not. As I indicated in the opening thread, I'll post two further threads, one articulating a performance review and one dealing with the engine failure. I'll give you guys as much info as possible in both so that you can form your own view about both matters.

I don't know what caused the engine failure. I've never said to anyone it was definitely linked to the Weistec charger. There are certainly some issues which I find perplexing. I've posed questions to Weistec about these issues on various occasions (in a bid to acquire an understanding of what
happened here) and these have not elicited any response. More later. All I will say for now is that the allegation that the tune was altered is hotly disputed.

I'll post when I get a gap. No point providing an incomplete picture so I must find the time to do it properly.

This thread however concerns the false accusations and the decision by Weistec to extracate itself from the discussions on the basis of these trumped up charges. I haven't read the post under reply closely but at a quick glance, I didn't see a single word covering the thread topic.

Last edited by ajm55; 02-08-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why are you so much into protecting weistec when now they come out and say that the tune was modified when Ajm said that it was NOT are you guys serious?? Ajm said that if weistec said that it would be basically putting down his integrity because he knows it was NOT touched but you guys wanna protect weistec when Ajm is the victim and weistec is slithering out of this
How could anybody at this point know whether or not the tune was modified, perhaps the shop AJM goes to made changes and didn't tell him. I'm only saying that to make a point, not because there's any evidence of it. I think what you're confusing for everyone's "defense of Weistec" is simply our desire to find out what happened rather then blame Weistec without knowing all of the facts. If it turns out to be Weistec's fault then blame away, but nobody, not even the guy it happened to know's what exactly caused the problem.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
i am not protecting anyone, but i also am not into slandering tuner's without proof....

even the OP is NOT saying its weistec's fault but somehow you know more then the OP about his own car situation and cause of failure?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
weistec is blatantly calling this guy a liar by saying the tune was modified when Ajm said NO WAY...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WEISTEC: Setting the record straight