EC Supercharger pulley failure... :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Originally Posted by PACougar
In know when I got my pulley, which was one of the first the straps were made out of mild steel. Dave and I replaced them with the factory spring steel straps off of the OE pulley.
Smart man! I wish I did that.

Also please add me to the list too. I was in the original first ten people to get the sc pulley. Mine did not break but the pin got loose and I constantly have to re-shim. At one point I think I had up to nine shims. I sent the pulley back to Shardul and he sent me back another unit. With the new unit I didn't even have to use any shim. It's been about a year and all good, but I'll check it tonight.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
I was also surprised to see these made from plated steel as opposed to the black spring steel.
BINGO was his name-o! They are acting as springs and should be spring steel, just like the factory ones.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, G55, 1987 Kasten Wagen (2 door LWB G WAGON) 1991 e30 vert with euro M3 motor
BINGO was his name-o! They are acting as springs and should be spring steel, just like the factory ones.

/\

THIS!!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
This is really pissing me off. I have been putting these on cars since I had a crank pulley issue on a customers car and now this. Eurocharged did take care of me, but I can NOT afford to keep having issues with my customers cars. I'm not doing any more of this **** to these cars.

Period.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
05 E55, 06 Audi S4
Are the new ones that are being sent out updated in some way to avoid this issue?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
Let's not go on a witch hunt here.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
Originally Posted by forcefed4door
Are the new ones that are being sent out updated in some way to avoid this issue?
so i've heard
Old 05-07-2013, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I think I have the most recent one unless it came out of an old batch

I just received mine 3-4 days ago and have less than 150 miles on it yet
Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I know no ones going to want to hear this, but here I go. The truth is this is a tiny market and these companies can only do so much R&D. It's not like we're looking at a get rich quick scam, if you have a problem I'm sure the vendor you purchased from will try to make it right. For the most part guys like Shardul aren't out there getting rich off any of us, he's spending his time trying to help all of us. Something to keep in mind and use for perspective. Hopefully this will turn out to be a isolated problem for only a few and won't turn into a huge deal. I might be able to find the solid rivets we used to replace the springs straps if anyone is interested in doing on their own.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by viren.89
I think I have the most recent one unless it came out of an old batch

I just received mine 3-4 days ago and have less than 150 miles on it yet
Are you saying you have mild steel straps vs spring steel straps?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:12 PM

944 Turbo S w/camed LS1; 03 E55 AMG; 05 Honda Pilot
I know no ones going to want to hear this, but here I go. The truth is this is a tiny market and these companies can only do so much R&D. It's not like we're looking at a get rich quick scam, if you have a problem I'm sure the vendor you purchased from will try to make it right. For the most part guys like Shardul aren't out there getting rich off any of us, he's spending his time trying to help all of us. Something to keep in mind and use for perspective. Hopefully this will turn out to be a isolated problem for only a few and won't turn into a huge deal. I might be able to find the solid rivets we used to replace the springs straps if anyone is interested in doing on their own.

Totally agree...these mentioned vendors have gone above and beyond for this community....support them and they will support us..... just my humble opinion.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
93' 500E, 95' Corolla
So Adam and I drilled the pulley apart like he said, and replaced the straps with the OEM ones - Problem solved! You will have to sacrifice your OEM pulley for the swap...

-Dave
Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Originally Posted by DavesMeanE's
So Adam and I drilled the pulley apart like he said, and replaced the straps with the OEM ones - Problem solved! You will have to sacrifice your OEM pulley for the swap...

-Dave
What kind of rivets did you use? Seems like a good fix.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
Originally Posted by DavesMeanE's

-Dave
^ this guy Dave is the real deal-
Old 05-07-2013, 10:23 PM

2006 E55
+1. hopefully it will be isolated to a few but from this we can take from the problems and learn and adapt. Now that we know where the weak points are we are one step closer to a perfect product.
personally, I'm still waiting to see the results of the clutch less pulley that is in development now.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Are you saying you have mild steel straps vs spring steel straps?
I literally have no clue what you just asked me lol
I'll take a picture and post it up soon
Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes Benz E63
Shardul has been very helpful to me. Eurocharged has also been a very good company to deal with when there have been issues. This is no way bashing any one. I think it is very cool that people spend their time and invest their money to make performance parts for these cars. They are a great platform. If the R&D or quality control is not affordable/realistic I think the customer should be informed.

When you work on people's cars that spend between $30-60k, you need to have 100 percent confidence in any parts put on the car. Especially performance related things because everyone knows there is some risk involved.

IF this is true that spring steel was not used in this aftermarket pulley, I would really like to know why. I can partially blame myself for not doing a thorough enough inspection before installing the part, but now I'm going to have to call back a few customers as well as the person that owns the company I work for to tell them the part I installed on their car has a design flaw that was just recently realized. That is strike two with my customer who spent a lot of money on one of the earlier bolted hub 180mm crank pulleys, and it had an issue on its second installation. Eurocharged took their pulley back, and sent me a supercharger pulley free of charge. I do believe the technician that installed the pulley may have been partially to blame, but the new bolt was torqued correctly. I went in to detail with Jerry about what happened and in no way would I have blamed him for not wanting give me a free S/C pulley.

When I put this part on their car I told them it is a completely reliable part that uses a factory bearing, and talked up the part up pretty good. Now we know what has been brought to light in this thread. I'm very frustrated with this.

Knowing what I know now I FIRMLY believe that pinning the crank pulley is an absolute must, as well as using the AMG pulley holder.
Hopefully there is an easy fix for the supercharger pulley issue that is starting to appear.

Last edited by layzie12g; 05-07-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I totally feel for you, it sucks having to go back to a customer! Consider this the OEM's who spent billions of dollars on R&D to make sure nothing goes wrong having freaking recalls all the time and that doesn't count all the things they don't recalls on "cough" gas tank "cough". My point is simply that no one can be 100 percent in the products they sell and if anyone ever tells you otherwise they just lied to your face. If we can help in anyway let me know!

Originally Posted by layzie12g
Shardul has been very helpful to me. Eurocharged has also been a very good company to deal with when there have been issues. This is no way bashing any one. I think it is very cool that people spend their time and invest their money to make performance parts for these cars. They are a great platform. If the R&D or quality control is not affordable/realistic I think the customer should be informed.

When you work on people's cars that spend between $30-60k, you need to have 100 percent confidence in any parts put on the car. Especially performance related things because everyone knows there is some risk involved.

IF this is true that spring steel was not used in this aftermarket pulley, I would really like to know why. I can partially blame myself for not doing a thorough enough inspection before installing the part, but now I'm going to have to call back a few customers as well as the person that owns the company I work for to tell them the part I installed on their car has a design flaw that was just recently realized. That is strike two with my customer who spent a lot of money on one of the earlier bolted hub 180mm crank pulleys, and it had an issue on its second installation. Eurocharged took their pulley back, and sent me a supercharger pulley free of charge. I do believe the technician that installed the pulley may have been partially to blame, but the new bolt was torqued correctly. I went in to detail with Jerry about what happened and in no way would I have blamed him for not wanting give me a free S/C pulley.

When I put this part on their car I told them it is a completely reliable part that uses a factory bearing, and talked up the part up pretty good. Now we know what has been brought to light in this thread. I'm very frustrated with this.

Knowing what I know now I FIRMLY believe that pinning the crank pulley is an absolute must, as well as using the AMG pulley holder.
Hopefully there is an easy fix for the supercharger pulley issue that is starting to appear.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by viren.89
I literally have no clue what you just asked me lol
I'll take a picture and post it up soon
From looking at your other post it just sounded like you knew you had a problem with your new pulley. Hopefully it's updated and all will be well.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes Benz E63
You should ask Audi about their coil packs......

I work with the warranty end of all of the European companies and you guys would NOT believe some of the things they will not warranty. Brand new Jaguar with a rattle in the headliner. Sounded absolutely horrible. Not covered under warranty. If I had bought that car it would have landed some where in their showroom via their showroom window.

From what I have seen BMW is the best to work with. It seems they care the most about customer satisfaction.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
93' 500E, 95' Corolla
Originally Posted by Shifter
What kind of rivets did you use? Seems like a good fix.
They are solid body rivets I found - You have to drill one side on the strap a few thou larger to fit the rivet, and use press to sqish em'. I think I have a bunch left if anyone is interested...

-Dave
Old 05-08-2013, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
In know when I got my pulley, which was one of the first the straps were made out of mild steel. Dave and I replaced them with the factory spring steel straps off of the OE pulley.
+1

my hero!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes Benz E63
Dave I read a couple of your posts on another thread. Keep the info coming. This forum needs more people like you that have the proven technical experience with these cars.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC63s, W222 S63, W223 S580
Mine was the first one ever.. Just checked mine today and no issues! Im sure all parties involved will be taken care of.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Guys keep your hands off of my resource, I mean best friend

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EC Supercharger pulley failure... :(