W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Macht schnell E55 project

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
I had those same marks from the oil pump drive chain when I replaced my bad pump. We definitely need a stronger chain tensioner spring for that bad boy. Tear down is looking good. I'm impressed how fresh these motors look after racking up so many miles. I know mine looked just as good as yours when I opened it up at 71k.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:56 PM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
Great job, Sir Boost. At some point you need to post pics of your Camaro.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:04 PM

SL55 AMG EC Stage 5 Beast / ESS S/C E92 M3
Man I am so glad you posted up!!!! I have been wanting to tell the world what you have been up to haha! Looking good Chris... looking damn good brotha
Old 05-11-2013, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Looks good, thanks for taking the time to document and show pictures.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Looks like it is coming along nicely. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Aaron
Old 05-12-2013, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E55
Nice to see. After all, it's just another motor!.
Keep up the nice work.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
Thanks all! I've been mapping all this out for a while, it's fun to actually put it all to use! I've got some cool adaptive engineered parts that I'll be using that will help to build 55k engines to the next level without taking the financial uppercut to the jaw that is known as "one-off parts"

Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
No kidding. How's about offering a rebuild service
I could, but aren't you in Texas? Brooke and Shardul are much closer and have more experience with this engine than I do.

Originally Posted by urbamworm
All I know is these bigger blower cars have my mind swirling again. I had lost interest since it took so long to come out then bought some 20" wheels/tires for dang near $4k and figured I would be better off just having what I have power wise and keeping my money since that is a good chunk of change to drop on the blower.

If I happen to meet up with Chris on my next visit home end of July and get a ride or do a comparison run it might just have me sold. I freaking love speed and my car is the fastest car I have ever been in and it isn't really fast in my opinion, at least not consistently. I want to be fast all the time and on the next level. Make it happen Chris, make it happen!

After seeing the difference in traps from Gadget's car though on cooled down runs to hot lap runs I say these setups need a killer chiller still like the stock supercharger. Might need to get one of those too.
I personally like a meth/water setup over a killer chiller because the killer chiller can't keep up with the heat. It just cools your reservoir down and then your IATs keep climbing until you rest for a while, producing inconsistent results. I like an IC system that is suited to do what it needs to do. As in I have this much heat to remove, what will it take to remove it. Weistec did the best they could do with the space they had to work in, but it's still a compromise because the valley between the heads isn't big enough to accommodate a large core, and the blower will hit the hood if you space it up any higher to gain room that way.

The Weistec intercooler core as you can see isn't much biggest than the stock one, but its design looks similar to the high performance Garrett cores I use when building an A2A intercooler so volume/volume it will transfer more heat. Also it's a single pass from the top which will eliminate the restriction of the front to back flow of the stocker. In a perfect world, this blower would have a 40mm or so spacer on it and double the intercooler core like the ford mod motors do.

Here's a comparison. Ford modular V8 lower manifold

Weistec Mercedes
Old 05-12-2013, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's the fresh crank back from CRE racing engines. Dave told me he had to recalibrate his balancer because he couldn't remember the last time a V8 ran such a featheresque 1546 bobweight. A light polish on the mains and a moderate polish on the rods to allow a few ten-thousandths more oil clearance.

Look at the end counterweights and you can see the holes drilled into it to lighten the rotating mass. For those not familiar with engine internals, when the rods and pistons become heavier or lighter than stock, the weights of the crankshaft counterweights must be adjusted accordingly or severe vibration and bearing damage will occurr. Since the new SLR pistons are signifigantly lighter than stock anchors, the crank gets drilled. If the new parts were heavier, large portions of the steel counterweight are drilled out and round slugs of "Mallory" metal are pressed in which have much more weight per a given volume.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
The black pieces in your oil strainer are not silicone, they are the rubber surroundings from the intermediate sprocket in the timing chain. It's normal for it to get detached from the sprocket and get stuck on the oil strainer.

The wear on the timing cover from the oil pump chain is also normal.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M3, E55, SL55
Originally Posted by GT-ER
The black pieces in your oil strainer are not silicone, they are the rubber surroundings from the intermediate sprocket in the timing chain. It's normal for it to get detached from the sprocket and get stuck on the oil strainer.

Correct
Old 05-13-2013, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ah I see. I just looked at the donor engine I used for the MID block build and see the timing chain idler coating. That engine had 1/3 the miles the one from the car does.

Don't say that the wear on the cover though is normal. We could say " it's a design flaw that ails most M113 engines" but in no IC engine on earth is it acceptable for a steel chain to beat the aluminum cover while the engine idles, spewing metal shavings into the oil. I understand hat the metal grinding is minimal and the filter element will remove most of it from oil circulation but that's a problem that needs some aftermarket love.

If for no other reason just to cure that embarrassing clacking sound. My neighbor has an 06SL500 w 45k on it and his sounds the same way.

Originally Posted by GT-ER

Last edited by Sir-Boost-a-Lot; 05-13-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
No sir, I wish I was in Texas. I'm in Columbus, Ohio.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
Ah I see. I just looked at the donor engine I used for the MID block build and see the timing chain idler coating. That engine had 1/3 the miles the one from the car does.

Don't say that the wear on the cover though is normal. We could say " it's a design flaw that ails most M113 engines" but in no IC engine on earth is it acceptable for a steel chain to beat the aluminum cover while the engine idles, spewing metal shavings into the oil. I understand hat the metal grinding is minimal and the filter element will remove most of it from oil circulation but that's a problem that needs some aftermarket love.

If for no other reason just to cure that embarrassing clacking sound. My neighbor has an 06SL500 w 45k on it and his sounds the same way.
So true. By normal I mean they all do it at some point apparently, but you are correct...it's not OKAY by any means.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 AM

Location: Gainesville, FL: In a garage or in a bar, or a garage with a bar in it.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55, 2011 Honda Push Mower (21 inch deck bishes)
Don't say that the wear on the cover though is normal. We could say " it's a design flaw that ails most M113 engines" but in no IC engine on earth is it acceptable for a steel chain to beat the aluminum cover while the engine idles, spewing metal shavings into the oil.

If for no other reason just to cure that embarrassing clacking sound
THIS
SH*T
RIGHT
HERE

When I pull my 55 into a drive thru, and the person that works there leans over and goes "your car doesn't sound right", it just KILLS me, and it happens A LOT. "Yeah, nice Benz buddy. Sounds like it's about to die". I've heard it all, and I've only owned this thing for a month. So am what I'm seeing from this, there is no upgraded tensioner assembly (like the all steel ones I use in my Ford builds), or some sort of shim we could work into the mix, or is the only option to literally shave down the timing cover in that area, because damnit I'm the type of guy that will yank an engine to fix something like this. I HATE IT.

Back on topic though, GREAT write up so far man. I wouldn't mind swinging down to lend a hand or take a look sometime since I'm right up the road in Gainesville. Keep up the great progress, and please keep the pics coming. I'm reeeeeeal familiar with 5.4 Supercharged Ford Mod motors, but these 5.4 SC Benz setups are a whole different animal.

Keep it rolling man.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Awesome write up sir! Good luck with the rest of the build. Should be a monster
Old 05-13-2013, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Nice project. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Are you going with the included ring pack? Iirc, the pistons are Mahle?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Badass BuIld!!!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
Thanks for posting and looking forward to seeing you run at Orlando Speedworld!!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:08 PM

'03 E55 Estate
Excellent read. Subscribed!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks! I'll have another update later tonight.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you and Yes , using the rings from Mahle.

Originally Posted by lowprofile
Nice project. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Are you going with the included ring pack? Iirc, the pistons are Mahle?
Old 05-16-2013, 06:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by berti_00
respect my friend... and lots of it

it looks amazing and posting pics and DIY is takes it to huge new level for me and probably some others. I get to learn new things, and stand up gentlemen like yourself, keep me from experiencing the learning curve to it's entirety. You have all my respect!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Thanks all! I've been mapping all this out for a while, it's fun to actually put it all to use! I've got some cool adaptive engineered parts that I'll be using that will help to build 55k engines to the next level without taking the financial uppercut to the jaw that is known as "one-off parts"

I could, but aren't you in Texas? Brooke and Shardul are much closer and have more experience with this engine than I do.

I personally like a meth/water setup over a killer chiller because the killer chiller can't keep up with the heat. It just cools your reservoir down and then your IATs keep climbing until you rest for a while, producing inconsistent results. I like an IC system that is suited to do what it needs to do. As in I have this much heat to remove, what will it take to remove it. Weistec did the best they could do with the space they had to work in, but it's still a compromise because the valley between the heads isn't big enough to accommodate a large core, and the blower will hit the hood if you space it up any higher to gain room that way.

The Weistec intercooler core as you can see isn't much biggest than the stock one, but its design looks similar to the high performance Garrett cores I use when building an A2A intercooler so volume/volume it will transfer more heat. Also it's a single pass from the top which will eliminate the restriction of the front to back flow of the stocker. In a perfect world, this blower would have a 40mm or so spacer on it and double the intercooler core like the ford mod motors do.

Here's a comparison. Ford modular V8 lower manifold

Weistec Mercedes
Can`t wait to see you put a 3.3 whipple on.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 05-20-2013, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whose got one of those? Sounds big?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Btw lotta good it did redlabeling in pistons... Main caps bolts gotta come from Germany ....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Macht schnell E55 project