Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 12:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 W211 E55
problems with drivers seat

Hi

I am having some issues with my drivers seat in my 2003 E55 Kompressor:

1) The electronic seat adjusters do not work for the driver seat, but work ok for the passenger side seat.

2) The M,1,2,3 buttons still work as they adjust the side mirrors still which is what I programmed them to do.

3) The steering wheel electronic adjuster does not work.

4) STAR diagnostic also stated there was a problem with my CAN bus network and the ESA drivers seat displayed the word "ERROR"

Anybody got any ideas on what the issue is or maybe or how to fix it?

Regards,

OZZYAMG

Last edited by OZZYAMG; 05-19-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 estate
Hi mate
I had huge problems with my drivers seat (rhd) playing up about 4 years ago . After many trips to mb they were unable to fix it . The complaint was eventually handled by mb in Germany who suggested disconnecting it !
Took me about an hour to sort , the problem for me was caused by the floor mats catching the under side of the seat when it moved forward and causing a over load on the electric motor and tripping / disconnecting through the can bus .
I cleared the obstruction , reset the fault code and had no problem since .
Old 05-19-2013, 05:59 AM

03 W211 E55
Hi

Thanks marc.l for your response above. I did in fact remove my floor mats the other day and vacuumed the car carpets and floor mats and then put them back in the car. I just went and removed the floor mats and tried to clear the "error" using Star Diagnostic and I am still having the same issues.

Anybody else have any other advice to offer?

Regards,

OZZYAMG
Old 05-19-2013, 11:10 AM

2003 E55
So the memory function still moves the seats/mirrors/steering wheel, or just the mirrors?

Is it just the seat and steering wheel that you can't adjust independently?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:20 PM

03 W211 E55
Hi

To: 211.076

The memory function still moves the side mirrors as this is all I programmed the memory function to do. I never programmed the memory function to shift the seat or steering wheel. I can also adjust the side mirrors independently.

It is just the drivers seat and steering wheel that I can't adjust independently.

Regards,

OZZYAMG
Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 AM

03 W211 E55
Hi

Now that I have had a day or two to think about it somewhere in the car the the electronic adjuster for the steering wheel and drivers seat must be a common point...be it a fuse or relay or wiring connector somewhere and this is obvious where my issue has to be? Does anybody have a wiring diagram for these cars and know or can confirm the common wiring between the steering wheel adjuster and drivers seat adjuster?

Regards,

OZZYAMG
Old 05-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
have you tired swapping the modules under the seat?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:12 AM

03 W211 E55
Originally Posted by shardul
have you tired swapping the modules under the seat?
Hi Shardul

Would I have to remove the seats to do this?

Regards,

OZZYAMG
Old 05-20-2013, 12:23 PM

2003 E55
Originally Posted by OZZYAMG
Hi

To: 211.076

The memory function still moves the side mirrors as this is all I programmed the memory function to do. I never programmed the memory function to shift the seat or steering wheel. I can also adjust the side mirrors independently.

It is just the drivers seat and steering wheel that I can't adjust independently.

Regards,

OZZYAMG
This is what I was trying to get to. The steering column module passes through the driver front seat control module. I'd start with checking the fuse that supplies power to the seat control module first. Its Fuse 34 (30A in the fuse box in the left side of the dash). If that is ok, I would next check power at the pins from the steering wheel adjustment motors and seat adjustment motors at the control unit. Let me know if you need test values.

At this point, I would almost bet that the left front seat control module is at fault, as this is a fairly common failure point on MB's with this problem. Check those things out and report back with your findings and we can work this out.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Hi Shardul

Would I have to remove the seats to do this?

Regards,

OZZYAMG
yes
Old 05-20-2013, 05:28 PM

03 W211 E55
Originally Posted by 211.076
This is what I was trying to get to. The steering column module passes through the driver front seat control module. I'd start with checking the fuse that supplies power to the seat control module first. Its Fuse 34 (30A in the fuse box in the left side of the dash). If that is ok, I would next check power at the pins from the steering wheel adjustment motors and seat adjustment motors at the control unit. Let me know if you need test values.

At this point, I would almost bet that the left front seat control module is at fault, as this is a fairly common failure point on MB's with this problem. Check those things out and report back with your findings and we can work this out.
Hi

Thankyou so much for this. I will attempt this today and it sounds very much the issue I am having will be diagnosed by doing this. May I ask do you have the test values on hand?

If I have to swap test modules as per Shardul's recommendation I am going to need some external help from a mechanic as that is out of my expertise!

Thanks everybody for your assistance.

Regards,

OZZYAMG
Old 05-20-2013, 07:30 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Hi

Thankyou so much for this. I will attempt this today and it sounds very much the issue I am having will be diagnosed by doing this. May I ask do you have the test values on hand?

If I have to swap test modules as per Shardul's recommendation I am going to need some external help from a mechanic as that is out of my expertise!

Thanks everybody for your assistance.

Regards,

OZZYAMG
Yes, seat modules do fail a fair amount these days.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 05-20-2013, 10:18 PM

03 W211 E55
Hi

Ok I checked all I could do and an auto electrician has checked voltages and can confirm that it is my drivers door electronic adjuster module. Now I have a question.

This module is nearly $450 USD in Australia from our local Mercedes Benz dealership which seems to be very expensive, what I want to know is if I order the passenger side door electronic adjuster module from somebody in the US because cars in Australia are right hand drive, do people know if the steering wheel adjuster will work as it is supposed to because 211.076 mentions above that the steering wheel adjuster passes through the drivers seat control module and I am worried that if I order the passenger side control module from the US it may not allow this for right hand drive cars in Australia.

Does anybody know?

Regards,

OZZYAMG
Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 AM

03 W211 E55
Hi

It seems my mechanic/auto elec friend gave me the wrong advice. I just replaced the drivers door module with the seat adjuster buttons and M,1,2,3 buttons on it and my drivers seat still doesn't move.

I noticed when the door trim was removed their was another electronic module inside the door with 10 electrical plugs on it...does anybody think it could be this or would it be the module underneath the drivers seat as Shardul has mentioned a few posts earlier?

I really need help on this matter.

To Shardul: do you have a part number for the module under the seat?

Regards,

OZZYAMG
Old 06-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Hi

It seems my mechanic/auto elec friend gave me the wrong advice. I just replaced the drivers door module with the seat adjuster buttons and M,1,2,3 buttons on it and my drivers seat still doesn't move.

I noticed when the door trim was removed their was another electronic module inside the door with 10 electrical plugs on it...does anybody think it could be this or would it be the module underneath the drivers seat as Shardul has mentioned a few posts earlier?

I really need help on this matter.

To Shardul: do you have a part number for the module under the seat?

Regards,

OZZYAMG
will let you know when i look at it in the evening
Old 06-05-2013, 08:06 PM

03 W211 E55
Hi

I have been reading on the internet about the module under the 2 front seats and I thought that they couldn't be swapped between each other because I was thinking the drivers module would also look after the steering wheel electronic adjuster where as the passenger one doesn't do that.

Remember I am looking for the link as to why the drivers seat adjusters and steering wheel adjusters both stopped working at the same time. I also double checked every fuse inside the side panel of the rear trunk, inside the dashboard when the front door is open and also in the fuse box under the front bonnet.

I have not checked any fuses near my main battery under the trunk carpet as I can't reach them and they don't look like conventional fuses to me such as the 200amp fuse etc.

Does anyone know if any of the fuses next to the main rear battery powers the drivers seat adjuster and steering wheel adjuster?

Regards,

OZZYAMG
Old 06-05-2013, 09:34 PM

03 e55 02 c32
If you need a part number for the seat module I have one for sale. Check out my post. https://mbworld.org/forums/parting-o...arts-sale.html
Old 06-14-2013, 08:40 PM

03 W211 E55
Hi

Ok my problem still remains. So far I have replaced:

1) The electronic seat adjuster buttons that also have the M,1,2,3 buttons on the drivers door.
2) The electronic module hidden behind the drivers door trim with 10 connectors on it which is like a network type of hub.

After fitting both parts above my problem still remains that my drivers seat can't move and my steering wheel can't move. I have just ordered the electronic module that goes under the drivers seat and will have it in about a fortnight's time and I sincerely hope after I replace it with a new one everything will work.

After using Star diagnostic and searching for the modules directly in the drivers door directly through the menu's I was surprised to see that it mentioned that both ESA adjusters (drivers and passengers) were classed as "ERROR" even though the passenger side works 100% correctly.

Also when doing the "Quick Test" in Star diagnostic the drivers side ESA is no longer in the list when a couple of weeks ago it used to mention it with a - f - which I belive meant failed or fault but now it is removed from the list.

But a new error I got was:

"Specified actual config of interior CANBUS - F -"

Any advice in this matter is appreciated. Also can anybody confirm that too remove the drivers seat the nuts or bolts are located outside and underneath the car?

Regards,

OZZYAMG
Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 PM

03 W211 E55
Hi

My problem is finally fixed and my drivers seat and steering wheel electronic adjusters all work perfectly now. All it was was a single connector was not plugged in correctly on the DCM-FR which is the electronic module underneath the drivers seat. You do not have to remove the seat to get at the connector you simply access if from the front of the seat and remoe the front panel and a couple of little plastic pieces and stick your hand in and feel the wires/connector and you will find a total of two of them. Simply push the connectors towards the rear of the vehicle and you will feel one more ever so slightly and a very faint click noise. Then you turn the car on and test it and all is fine. Now I am going to sell all the items I have purchased and didn't need such as the right hand front door ESA, a connector inside the front door that is only visible with the trim removed and the Door Control Module itself that can be used for either of the front seats. What I relief it is all fixed but it cost me so much in parts I did not need.

Regards,

OZZYAMG