Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 AM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by adianaty

Thanks brotha. Promised myself that I won't mod it until the E55 is running like a swiss watch. Its really been hard to keep the wrenches off of it since they respond so well to mods. But lets just say I'm in the accumulation stage of the mods. I think my garage is good for an easy 250hp bump on that thing .
That's a great plan and I can't imagine how much discipline that takes Just as long as we don't loose you from this community! Hmmm, the V is tempting...
Old 06-10-2013, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
I'll check mine out and let you all know.

before I find a cliff and break the 1/4 mile record by free falling the car.
Low 9's at over 190mph!!
Old 06-15-2013, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
I haven't installed my 82mm yet...but there is something else all these cars have in common- The supercharger, intake manifold, supercharger inlet, injectors and vacuum lines were all removed and reinstalled. This leads to numerous opportunities to introduce a vacuum leak. It's easy to damage an intake gasket, have a cracked vacuum hose or many other places for a small, hard to detect vacuum leak. Also with all the different methods of bolting on the 82, there is another chance for a vacuum leak at any adapter plate. The injector o-rings are another place to look. Those with problems I would be extra vigilant in checking for vacuum leaks, or a gasket not seated properly. Unfortunately it's not easy to do or to see on our engines. MB has a special tool, basically guide pins that hold the intake gaskets in place and guide the heavy supercharger down straight. I can see one of the thin intake gaskets being damaged by not using this. Recently I replaced an intake manifold on a 272 Mecedes engine, and although I was extremely careful with the gasket, it ended up slipping out of place and caused a very minor vacuum leak.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
I haven't installed my 82mm yet...but there is something else all these cars have in common- The supercharger, intake manifold, supercharger inlet, injectors and vacuum lines were all removed and reinstalled. This leads to numerous opportunities to introduce a vacuum leak. It's easy to damage an intake gasket, have a cracked vacuum hose or many other places for a small, hard to detect vacuum leak. Also with all the different methods of bolting on the 82, there is another chance for a vacuum leak at any adapter plate. The injector o-rings are another place to look. Those with problems I would be extra vigilant in checking for vacuum leaks, or a gasket not seated properly. Unfortunately it's not easy to do or to see on our engines. MB has a special tool, basically guide pins that hold the intake gaskets in place and guide the heavy supercharger down straight. I can see one of the thin intake gaskets being damaged by not using this. Recently I replaced an intake manifold on a 272 Mecedes engine, and although I was extremely careful with the gasket, it ended up slipping out of place and caused a very minor vacuum leak.
very very on point.. thats why i had the benz tech do mine, and plus i replaced all my injector seals too. My car idles perfect
Old 06-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
I beleive Savman posted he had his taken apart 3 times looking for leaks and replacing gaskets to no avail. Mine has been gone over thoroughly and no vacuum leaks were found, also done professionally by Speedriven. Also I believe a vacuum leak would cause the TPS at idle to be low, mine is spot on as are the others.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:44 PM

13 997 turbo s,07 G55,58 apache
Originally Posted by SavMan
Anyone with a working 82 TB going to check there ECU number?

We should also compare SW and HW version

still need I can look tonight ?
Old 06-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
please do
Old 06-16-2013, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Ok, I give up. I run fine with the 80TB with a grinded shaft, after I do that adaption with Star that Alid showed me. I reinstalled the 82tb and its a problem. I can not get to idle right. I took a vid of what it was doing and sent it to Shardul. I cant post the vid with my ipad but maybe Shardulw will be kind enought to post for me and all of you can see this demonic 82tb high idlimg in my wagon. I am 100% certain there are no vac leaks and have sprayed soapy water everywhere to make sure. I have used all the Star ways to get the 82tb to work on my car but to nothing helping. I have tried over and over again the hard tb reset. Maybe I was sent a bad 82 tb... at this point I give up, will put back on my proven 80 tb and will set the 82tb on fire.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, CTS-V Wagon, Duc 1098R
Jcjmw, I have a Audi 82 that worked fine on my car that you are welcome to try so that you know for certain that its the tb. If the bolt pattern is different from the mb then you can at least swap the caps to see if the problem is there.

Update for everyone else, I went ahead and bought one of these and I'm debating whether or not to install it.

http://www.splitsec.com/products/psc1/PSC1003.htm

Basically what it does is take the signal from the map sensor, and will alter it going to the ecu if certain parameters are met. Based on the logs I have, I am thinking of using throttle position and rpm to adjust. For those of you that are logging, I'd be interested in knowing if you have isolated it to a low map reading (excessive vacuum) or a high map reading (more flow). What I see on my car it is excessive flow for a given throttle opening causing it. Given that its in closed loop, I believe the map sensors reading in this range can afford to be off by quite a bit since the other sensors will get the afr and timing right. So I'm thinking of altering the signal in a way where the stock ecu doesn't fall off the map, but is still able to adjust in closed loop. Talking to others, you would think that this could be fixed in the tune directly but it turns out the closed loop operation of the ecu is vastly more complicated than the typical open loop maps the tuners are adjusting. Still a few other things to consider before installing it but I would be interested in hearing if others see the same in their logs.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 Wagon
Jcjmw, I have a Audi 82 that worked fine on my car that you are welcome to try so that you know for certain that its the tb. If the bolt pattern is different from the mb then you can at least swap the caps to see if the problem is there.

Update for everyone else, I went ahead and bought one of these and I'm debating whether or not to install it.

http://www.splitsec.com/products/psc1/PSC1003.htm

Basically what it does is take the signal from the map sensor, and will alter it going to the ecu if certain parameters are met. Based on the logs I have, I am thinking of using throttle position and rpm to adjust. For those of you that are logging, I'd be interested in knowing if you have isolated it to a low map reading (excessive vacuum) or a high map reading (more flow). What I see on my car it is excessive flow for a given throttle opening causing it. Given that its in closed loop, I believe the map sensors reading in this range can afford to be off by quite a bit since the other sensors will get the afr and timing right. So I'm thinking of altering the signal in a way where the stock ecu doesn't fall off the map, but is still able to adjust in closed loop. Talking to others, you would think that this could be fixed in the tune directly but it turns out the closed loop operation of the ecu is vastly more complicated than the typical open loop maps the tuners are adjusting. Still a few other things to consider before installing it but I would be interested in hearing if others see the same in their logs.
Thanks for the offer, but I will just stock with my 80. But, I plan on setting the 82 on fire!
Old 06-16-2013, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Originally Posted by jcjmw
Thanks for the offer, but I will just stock with my 80. But, I plan on setting the 82 on fire!
Definitely make sure you get a video of that!
Old 06-16-2013, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 Wagon
I just reinstalled the 80tb, did hard reset and with Star. All is fine. I guess either my car does not like the 82tb or I purchased a bad one.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by jcjmw
I just reinstalled the 80tb, did hard reset and with Star. All is fine. I guess either my car does not like the 82tb or I purchased a bad one.
Where did you get the 82 from? A junkyard or from someone else used? These rarely go bad so if you didn't buy it new, or from a wreck, it may be suspicious as to why it's not on a car
Old 06-16-2013, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
I'm about to install a larger TB, and all this talk is making me wonder if I should skip installing the shaft grinded 82mm I have, and instead use a factory 80mm I bought a while back. How much better is the 82 over the 80?
Old 06-16-2013, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 Wagon
Where did you get the 82 from? A junkyard or from someone else used? These rarely go bad so if you didn't buy it new, or from a wreck, it may be suspicious as to why it's not on a car
I got my 82 from forst gump 9 and he assures me it is good. I think it just my car.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
For those of you that have problems with the 82mm tb, have you try to swap the tb electronic cap from a stock 74mm tb? Try that before you guys throw in the towels.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
So consensus is........
Old 06-25-2013, 10:49 PM

2005 E55
Go with the 80. It is the best safe upgrade. My car runs like a raped ape, but it will throw codes from time to time. The 80mm tb from an 07 sl55 will not throw codes.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes

Last edited by JoeNobody; 05-01-2022 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Originally Posted by DonnieD
Go with the 80. It is the best safe upgrade. My car runs like a raped ape, but it will throw codes from time to time. The 80mm tb from an 07 sl55 will not throw codes.
What does your car through a code for exactly?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:08 AM

E55, CTS-V Wagon, Duc 1098R
Originally Posted by jonkean
Any update on swapping the cap from an 82 to an 80?
Just to be clear, you can swap a 74 to an 82. The 80 opens in the opposite direction and I'm pretty sure that makes the caps not swappable.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Just to be clear, you can swap a 74 to an 82. The 80 opens in the opposite direction and I'm pretty sure that makes the caps not swappable.
The 80 is swappable with the 82, but you'll have to swap the wire 1&4 to make it works. Or you can just use the tps harness that designed for the 80 (wires already swapped in that harness from MB).