I Think I'm Gonna Cry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Porcelain Bus
I Think I'm Gonna Cry

Just dropped my daughter's boyfriend off at his house and upon leaving his driveway, ran up against one of the shrub lights and caused a 3 foot gash a few inches below the driver and back door protecting strip. I can't believe it. I go 10 years without a single scratch and my 3 week old baby is damaged. Oh well, just a little more work for the body shop when they paint and install my grille and spoiler. I suppose my daughter's friend must have thought I had Tourette's syndrome.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch, my sympathies go out to you, mon.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Sorry Chill. You must feel terrible. I hope you keep enjoying the car in spite of this.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
ouch man... really sorry to hear that...
Old 09-05-2003, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
I know how you feel. I backed my E into one of my other cars while trying to close a deal on the cell phone. I politely asked the person on the phone if I could put him on hold for a minute. I pressed mute and proceeded to scream obscenities at myself for about 2 minutes before calmly picking up the phone again. Unfortunately, I never pressed the mute button! DOH!
Old 09-05-2003, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
That totally sucks. I feel your pain.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
Re: I Think I'm Gonna Cry

Sorry to hear that.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:38 AM

It was not your fault, go beat up the boyfriend.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:42 AM
alz

Better that you did it than someone else

I usually like to give my new babies their first scratch. For some reason I feel better when scratch 2, 3, 4, etc. happens after that.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Porsche, Mercedes & MINI
Dropping boyfriends???

that is certainly out of my list of priorities, let the damn kid walk or ride a bike, certainly your daughter is worth that and more.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:06 PM

one of seven
Unhappy

condolences .......... next time drop him off at the curb!! but don't get too close to that curb (like I did)!
Old 09-05-2003, 01:29 PM

CLK55, Mini S
Who the cap fits, let them wear it...
Old 09-05-2003, 05:37 PM

one of seven
... if the glove don't fit you must ....... oh never mind ........
Old 09-05-2003, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
Re: Dropping boyfriends???

Originally posted by Frissen
that is certainly out of my list of priorities, let the damn kid walk or ride a bike, certainly your daughter is worth that and more.
This is the 21st century. Teenagers don't walk or ride bikes anymore.

I was just trying to save the kid's father (who drives an S55 and will soon take delivery on an SL55) a trip while also affording myself the opportunity to drive on the local street dragstrip once again (only 120 mph last night due to an oncoming car).

Anyway, I looked at the scratch in daylight today and since it is low down it is not that noticeable. I seem to have gotten over it. I hope I don't do any more damage at Sebring next Saturday.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
Re: Dropping boyfriends???

Originally posted by Frissen

I was just trying to save the kid's father (who drives an S55 and will soon take delivery on an SL55) a trip while also affording myself the opportunity to drive on the local street dragstrip once again (only 120 mph last night due to an oncoming car).

Anyway, I looked at the scratch in daylight today and since it is low down it is not that noticeable. I seem to have gotten over it. I hope I don't do any more damage at Sebring next Saturday.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:55 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
Re: Re: Dropping boyfriends???

Originally posted by Dr Chill

I really hope I've read into this wrong. ONLY 120 mph on a local street that has some occassional traffic and at night? You'll have a lot more than a long scratch if you have a blow out etc, a possible jail term not to mention physical harm to you and an insurance nightmare...maybe not the best idea

Last edited by RJC; 09-05-2003 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:22 PM
Mug
Almost a Member!

Re: Re: Re: Dropping boyfriends???

Originally posted by RJC
I really hope I've read into this wrong. ONLY 120 mph on a local street that has some occassional traffic and at night? You'll have a lot more than a long scratch if you have a blow out etc, a possible jail term not to mention physical harm to you and an insurance nightmare...maybe not the best idea
Hope we don't read a story like this about you Doc....

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/faenza1.html

:p
Old 09-06-2003, 12:30 PM

2008 BMW 335xi Coupe
Re: Re: Re: Re: Dropping boyfriends???

Originally posted by Mug
Hope we don't read a story like this about you Doc....

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/faenza1.html

:p
lol 182mph drunk driver... holy ****..lol
Old 09-06-2003, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
Re: Re: Re: Dropping boyfriends???

Originally posted by RJC
The street I was referring to is 1 mile long and has no side entances. The only way in is at the two ends of the street. It's a 2 lane smooth road with no place for cops to hide. It is essentially a public dragstrip. I didn't top out because another car entered the road 1/2 mile ahead in the opposite direction. By the time I passed him I was going about 60 or 70. Sorry, but a blowout is unavoidable and does not deter me from driving fast. One thing I don't do is exceed the speed limit significantly around any other vehicles or in populated areas. Why own a vehicle with 469+ HP if not to use it?
Old 09-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Banned

'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg

Why own a vehicle with 469+ HP if not to use it?

I completely agree with you on that one!! If you are breaking the law in a safe place that you know very well, then why not? Also, the car needs to be driven fast every once in a while, if you don't then you are disgracing the engineers who built the powerplant!!!
Old 09-06-2003, 01:24 PM

The street I was referring to is 1 mile long and has no side entances. The only way in is at the two ends of the street. It's a 2 lane smooth road with no place for cops to hide. It is essentially a public dragstrip. I didn't top out because another car entered the road 1/2 mile ahead in the opposite direction. By the time I passed him I was going about 60 or 70. Sorry, but a blowout is unavoidable and does not deter me from driving fast. One thing I don't do is exceed the speed limit significantly around any other vehicles or in populated areas. Why own a vehicle with 469+ HP if not to use it?
My man!! Well put.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:20 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dr Chill

[B] I didn't top out because another car entered the road 1/2 mile ahead in the opposite direction. By the time I passed him I was going about 60 or 70. ////What would have happened if he entered and forgot to put his lights on (maybe a Lexus driver, they do that alot due to the electroluminesant dash) and you did not see him and or he swerved in front of you? and 120mph was a slow night for you.

Sorry, but a blowout is unavoidable and does not deter me from driving fast ////A blowout at 120, 130, 140 mph or more is a lot worse and a lot less controlable than at 80.

Why own a vehicle with 469+ HP if not to use it //// Becuase it's highly illegal and very dangerous to you and others. That's why you go to the track. Or enjoy the great feel of acceleration in short reasonable spurts.

Listen, I used to own some very, very fast Porsche 930 turbos when I was in my late 20's and thirties, I did some really stupid things like you and drove in deep triple digits at places I thought were safe...I'm a lot smarter now and I would not want my girlfriend or my family to be pushing me around in a wheelchair or have been responsible for killing someone getting in the way of my 3000lb missle going 150 mph at night on a deserted road.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way and be very careful and fearful of Murphy's law, it always strikes when you least expect it, then you'll really have something to cry about.

Last edited by RJC; 09-06-2003 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
The only problem I see with your logic is that a blowout at high speed will likely have the same result whether on the track or on a vacant road in an unpopulated area. I consider myself a very capable driver who doesn't take unnecessary risks. I will be driving the 3.7 mile circuit at Sebring on Sept 13 and will definitely get my share of hot laps. Yes with age comes maturity, but also diminished eyesight and reflexes. The moral here is-enjoy it while you can-SAFELY.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:05 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dr Chill
[B]The only problem I see with your logic is that a blowout at high speed will likely have the same result whether on the track or on a vacant road in an unpopulated area. //// My concern was for your safety, at least on the track if you "wipe out" others will be present, it will be daylight and not on a deserted road. Do they require you to wear a helmet?

I consider myself a very capable driver who doesn't take unnecessary risks. I will be driving the 3.7 mile circuit at Sebring on Sept 13 and will definitely get my share of hot laps. ////Enjoy the 13th and take some pics for us.

Yes with age comes maturity, but also diminished eyesight and reflexes.//// Unfortunate, but very true
Old 09-07-2003, 01:06 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RJC
[B]
The only problem I see with your logic is that a blowout at high speed will likely have the same result whether on the track or on a vacant road in an unpopulated area. //// My concern was for your safety, at least on the track if you "wipe out" others will be present, it will be daylight and not on a deserted road. Do they require you to wear a helmet?

I consider myself a very capable driver who doesn't take unnecessary risks. I will be driving the 3.7 mile circuit at Sebring on Sept 13 and will definitely get my share of hot laps. ////Enjoy the 13th and take some pics for us.

but also diminished eyesight and reflexes.//// Unfortunate, but very true for us all

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I Think I'm Gonna Cry