W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82mm TB months of problems

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by Robert AMG
Is there anyone having the hiccup on stock injectors ?
I am suspecting the bigger injectors.
I have bigger injectors and the hiccup with my bigger TB, so you could be right.
How many have stock injectors with bigger TBs?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jcjmw
I have bigger injectors and the hiccup with my bigger TB, so you could be right.
How many have stock injectors with bigger TBs?
I'm running the injectors that come with the Weistec kit - 650, I think
Old 12-15-2013, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
I doubt that since 2 things would not make sense, there are some with aftermarket bigger injectors with no problems and by going with smaller injectors you will likely go lean at high rpm and pop, does anyone have a connection to Renntech?
Old 12-15-2013, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
Mine was completely glitch free with the Weistec blower /bigger injectors/82mm TB on the stock engine with headers.

Recently, I swapped the long block for a slightly larger engine with ported heads, and installed a new tune file on the same ECU. Everything else remained the same and now I have the hiccup.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:52 AM

E55
Might be on to something now sba, might be some sort of tiny vac leak or unmetered air going in the motor and the ecu freaks out btw have you gotten your motor back from Blackbenz?
Old 12-15-2013, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
I have 82mm Benz TB and stock injectors no hiccup
Old 12-15-2013, 12:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
I think you guys are going in the wrong direction.
You need to be looking at the bypass flap that's where I think the problem lies.
The bypass flap work in conjunction with the main TB and opens as the main closes.
If they are not matched the boost will be to low under a slight load.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:32 PM

E55
Could be the unmetered air is screwing with the stft and it leans out ,maybe different types of O2 sensors are needed for those with problems
Old 12-15-2013, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Roverron
I think you guys are going in the wrong direction.
You need to be looking at the bypass flap that's where I think the problem lies.
The bypass flap work in conjunction with the main TB and opens as the main closes.
If they are not matched the boost will be to low under a slight load.
Agreed. The hiccup has been around a lot longer than larger injectors.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts
mgLipGD
2005 E55
OEM MB 82mm
Modified SC snout (welded)
NO hiccup

Those with the hiccup are you using an adapter plate to bolt the TB on or is your SC snout modified and have the plate welded on? If the issue was due to an air leak a non-welded adapter plate could certainly cause the issue.

But I think Berti didn't have any issues with his and he made his own plate to bolt on!?!?!
Old 12-15-2013, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
I'm using an adapter plate and I know I have a good seal. I took extra good care to get a solid seal all around on both sides with Permatex.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
Gentlemen, is any of the tuners working with anyone of you to get that solved?
Old 12-15-2013, 11:55 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Crissus
Gentlemen, is any of the tuners working with anyone of you to get that solved?

Good question. Weistec are of the view that this is not tune-related, so not at my end
Old 12-16-2013, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Obviously by my sig I am BIP tuned, but since I know EC has tuned many more cars I would not think its tune related. Not to say anyone is a bad tuner but I think many have EC tunes and there are some that have the issue and some don't. So not sure its tune related.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
I don't have all the stuff to log like Dennis and others but I would assume they have many logs and nothing has been spotted to help in the tune??!?!?
Old 12-16-2013, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
Take cover! Wall of text incoming!!

I had been keeping a lot of my work under wraps because I know how practically anything can ignite a war between tuner fanboys and I didn't want to be responsible. Seriously, some of you are like the guards on the North/South Korean border. But eff it, here's my experience so far.

I have logs, videos, and all that other good stuff to go along with it. I was working closely with EC to get this fixed and we tried many different things to no avail. Talked to Jerry regularly on several occasions and he was about at the end of his rope with the problem. I had contacted several other tuners to see if anyone else wanted a shot at it. Emails went out to OE, Weistec, and LogicLab. I sent one to OE first, since I had worked with Jeremy in the past and they are somewhat local to me. I got an email that day asking for more specifics, so I typed up a novel, provided logs and videos of the problem in action, a thorough description of my findings, and sent it within 30 minutes of receiving the email. After a few days of not hearing anything back, I sent emails to LogicLab and Weistec (should have included BIP!!) to see if they wanted to try it. Got an email back from Aleks at LogicLab within five minutes asking me to give him a call. I did, we talked, and he agreed to overnight me a MyGenius. I got it the next day and we went through the initialization and I uploaded the tune. I was doing a big drive to Tucson and back the next day and this would be a good time to test. Weistec had responded like 2 days later and said they were interested, but wanted the car there. I did get the hiccup on the initial LL tune and before I could get an updated tune, Aleks had a catastrophic hard drive failure and lost his software. It would take him a while to get back online. He did email me this week to say he was going to reinstall the fixed pulley on his car to see if he could replicate the problems we were having with the fixed pulley. His car has a very similar setup to mine and he said he had no problems when he was running the fixed pulley before. This was several days ago. I emailed twice and asked if he was back up and running so I could get an updated tune, and then sent a text asking if he saw my email. Still waiting on a response, but I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, especially at the busy end of year/holidays time. Aleks did agree in our initial discussion that if the tune couldn't fix the problem, I would be refunded everything except shipping. I do want to try a few more of his files and I'm hoping I hear from him tomorrow.

In the mean time, PM me if you are a tuner, you want the next shot, and you meet the following criteria:
-You have experience tuning these cars
-You have reasonable expectation that you can fix the hiccup and other issue (i.e. cold start "lean mode") with the fixed pulley
-You have top-notch communication skills and will respond to an email, call, or text the same day if during business hours!! Can't stress enough how important this is.
-You understand we are experimenting with an issue and that may require numerous tunes and that I am willing to be the guinea pig in order to get this resolved. I would like payment deferred until issue is fixed or a money-back guarantee. There's my ulterior motive, out in the open for all to see.
-Your tunes can be uploaded by the user (the BAMF writing this).
-You want the extra business that will come from being the one to fix the hiccup and get the fixed pulley to run properly.

That last one is the big allure. These couple of issues are the only thing keeping the fixed pulleys from going under the hood of half the cars on this board. There's a reason I'm still running it and that is because when it's running right, it's freaking awesome. The pulley is like the last power-up you needed in that old Sega game Altered Beast, the one that turned you from the muscled-up dude into the ***-stomping werewolf, bear, dragon, or tiger.

I will provide you with data logs, videos of the hiccup and cold start videos in action, and a thorough description of the problem.

Maybe this post will get something going

Old 12-16-2013, 03:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
I did a poll for data collection:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ssue-poll.html
Old 12-16-2013, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
Thread died...
Old 12-17-2013, 05:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
Im suprised the cars run as well as they do since most get a tune emailed to them without having the person right there tuning. From tuning superchips custom way back everyone just dropped the vehicle off to the person tuning especially modded ones. I like where i got my tune because we have a good system down as far as getting my tune done right and safe and i dont have to chase anyone.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by black06c230
Obviously by my sig I am BIP tuned, but since I know EC has tuned many more cars I would not think its tune related. Not to say anyone is a bad tuner but I think many have EC tunes and there are some that have the issue and some don't. So not sure its tune related.
Thats a good question. For those w the P0106 hiccup, what tune are you? I have EC. Does anyone with BIP or other tune have this issue from a bigger TB?
Old 12-17-2013, 09:49 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jcjmw
Thats a good question. For those w the P0106 hiccup, what tune are you? I have EC. Does anyone with BIP or other tune have this issue from a bigger TB?
I have a Weistec tune and am experiencing the hiccup issue. When it shows itself, the P0106 code will usually (but not always) feature.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
Same here, same code, also from Weistec. However the first tune from Weistec with the same throttle body (on the stock engine) drove flawlessly across the country and everyday for four months until I swapped longblocks and loaded this second tune file into it. It throws the code more frequently when it's cold out, hardly ever when warmed up, and almost always with the throttle closed on decel.

Im swapping to the 90mm TB this week and having Weistec live tune it on a dyno since what I've got was only intended to be a starting point, was written for the engine with the bigger cams that I didn't install yet so I didn't expect it to even run as good as it does ( minus the hiccup) let alone be ideal. , I'm hoping the glitch goes away at that point.

I think I'm going to add a thick ground strap from the block to the frame just for grins too.

Last edited by Sir-Boost-a-Lot; 12-17-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:16 AM

2006 E55 AMG
May be way off the mark, but is it possible that the hiccup has something to do with the location of the O2 sensors? I have LTHs on my car (as I'm sure do most, if not all, of those experiencing the issue). My cats have also been removed. It seems that on the installation of the LTHs, the pre-cat O2 sensors were positioned a lot further down the exhaust than where they were originally located and I'm wondering whether their location could intermittently result in mis-information being fed to the ECU
Old 12-17-2013, 10:46 AM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
It throws the code more frequently when it's cold out, hardly ever when warmed up, and almost always with the throttle closed on decel.

I think I'm going to add a thick ground strap from the block to the frame just for grins too.

I was thinking the same on the ground strap.
I also noticed the same thing on decel it would dump fuel making the stft's go into -15 through -25% then it would load up on idle to correct itself.
On the warm thing also when it really hot outside and engine temps are up . it does it less frequent
Old 12-17-2013, 11:11 AM

E55
Sir boost alot going to a bigger tb will not fix the issue as denroll went bigger and it didn't go away it actually might get worse be carful bud

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 82mm TB months of problems