Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi RS7 vs E63/CLS63 vs M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by TMC M5
I agree ..the rear end of the RS7 is its visual downfall as well.
I agree also. I visited the Penske Audi dealership in my neighborhood in the hopes of test driving one but had none obviously. They are special order.

But they had a red A7 on the showroom floor that had some sports package on it. I think it was lowered a bit but it looks GORGOUS from the front but the back side was definitly deflating.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
I just got my Road and Track magazine in the mail today and I see that the 2015 M3s will have 3 turbos! I wonder if the 2015 M5s might do the same.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by JumpinJim
I'm taking my M5 to the track tomorrow. Do you remember what settings you were using for tranmission, suspension, throttle, etc. There's so many combinations it's hard to figure out where to start.
I left everything in Sport Plus and did MDM....and hit the throttle right off-idle. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:47 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I never experienced any heat soak in my M5 ... but there goes a lot of cooling air through at top speed ... even over the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse (about 8200ft altitude and 30 miles long) racing motorcycles there was no sign of heat soak. That's first hand real world driving ... not some dyno run
Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by AMGSC
I just got my Road and Track magazine in the mail today and I see that the 2015 M3s will have 3 turbos! I wonder if the 2015 M5s might do the same.
I doubt it ... 6 divided by 3 works ... 8 divided by 3 not so much
Old 08-08-2013, 01:02 PM

SL63
I left everything in Sport Plus and did MDM....and hit the throttle right off-idle. Good luck!
Awesome, thanks! I doubt I'll be as fast as the high tomorrow is 103. I'll give it a go though.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:03 PM

SL63
Originally Posted by AMGSC
It was said the 991 Porsche turbo would be tri-turbo too, but it didn't pan out. Will have to wait and see.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by SMP
I doubt it ... 6 divided by 3 works ... 8 divided by 3 not so much
Well, it depends on how it's set up. I heard rumors a while back about 2 traditional turbos for the top end and some mechanical turbo for the initial hit. That doesn't sound like 1 turbo for every 2 cylinders.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
PORSCHE PANAMERA TURBO LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO SL600 E55 BRABUS*SOLD*
[QUOTE=JumpinJim;5741848]I'm taking
Originally Posted by Style_Front
It would be BMW or Benz for me.

Then theres the Panamera. I love this car. Proper transmission, well sorted handling, AWD, exterior speaks well enough to me, plenty of power potential. This car is the no brainer for me. Its a more complete package geared towards performance while still being a quality luxury sedan you can drive to vegas, the store, down the 1/4 and around a road course fairly well in.
best overall 4 door i've owned...... and i loved my BRABUS E55

Old 08-08-2013, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
In DC metro heat and humidity (82+degrees) my F10 M5 trapped 120.87mph without launch control....my 240+lbs, a 5/8 tank of gas (tank holds 21.1 gallons) on a track not known for high trap speeds (ask Benzo-Rama how his traps are at 75-80 Dragway). Yes my car has Supersprint race mufflers (which weigh about 1lb more than the stock piece I cut out and probably give tiny hp increase) and K&N drop-in filters. This is real world info...not on a dyno where they purposely didn't allow a cool down and the M5's ECU pulls timing when it starts to sense air speeds that don't match the indicated speed of the car. Even at a drag strip you get to cool down when coasting back down from 120mph +... and get the benefit of the return lane to move some air into the heat exchangers while not under load and under boost. The Evolve test is rigged to show the absolute worst case scenario that wouldn't play out the same way on the street... they are planning to make products (and money) on just dyno info without actually testing the IATs out on the street where it will move much more air over the heat exchangers and radiators...

Can someone show me a non-tuned E63 Biturbo with PP that traps 120+mph in 2k'+ DA?
It was my first time on a track ever and on a humid high 80s Florida day, I ran 119mph (CLS63PP). I think both cars are identical stock and it is a driver's race. Now the M5s do not seem to respond as well as the AMG when it comes to tuning.

Originally Posted by JumpinJim
The M157 heatsoaks just as badly. My CLS could only get 1 run in before it was heatsoaked and couldn't recover on the highway in the TX heat. Dyno results would also vary wildly.
I had 3 runs at PBIR and no heat soak issues. I have made multiple (more than 5s) highway pulls and no issues at all. I understand MB changes something on the intercooler in 2013 so that may have helped.

Back to the OP's point, you can't go wrong with any of the cars you mentioned. The RS7 will probably be the rarest of all cars and that counts a lot in my book. The M5 is a bit blend IMHO (look and aural feedback) and would be on bottom on my list (RS7 and CLS tied for 1st) and BMW 3rd. The issue with RS7 is you will likely have to pay MSRP for it and Audi also has a very strict tuning policy. If they catch it, your entire warranty is voided. Both facts were a deal breaker for me and reason why I ended up with CLS.
The Panamera is a contender performance wise but not price wise. You have to get a Turbo to compete power wise and they are at least $40K more new. I did drive extensively a 2010 Turbo. It would not start in 1st (I tried every mode and was told it was because I did not have sports chrono package). I did not like the invasion of buttons but it does feel sportier probably because you sit lower in a tight bucket seat.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:55 PM

C63 Coupe
Yes i understand dyno will cause more heatsoak than a run on the street/track. Their is no doubt tho turbo cars suffer heatsoak more than N/A cars unless they have the proper intercooler setup. I have dyno sheets that ive posted previously of my C63 and I did 7 runs with 3 being done back to back to back and than a rest and then the other 4 in a row. All my numbers were within 10hp and sometimes the next run made more than the last run. I also know from running an f10 m5 how much it plays an affect. My car is now FBO and i should be in the +/- 500 whp range when i ran an f10 (with axle back) the only close runs were the first 2 and after that i was walking away pretty hard so that tells me he was losing power at a much faster rate than i was.

Havent gotten a chance to run an M157 yet so i cant add any first hand experience
Old 08-09-2013, 02:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
ez-go
If I was getting the E I would certainly get the wagon also. The ultimate grocery getter.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:13 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by Ezec63
Yes i understand dyno will cause more heatsoak than a run on the street/track. Their is no doubt tho turbo cars suffer heatsoak more than N/A cars unless they have the proper intercooler setup. I have dyno sheets that ive posted previously of my C63 and I did 7 runs with 3 being done back to back to back and than a rest and then the other 4 in a row. All my numbers were within 10hp and sometimes the next run made more than the last run. I also know from running an f10 m5 how much it plays an affect. My car is now FBO and i should be in the +/- 500 whp range when i ran an f10 (with axle back) the only close runs were the first 2 and after that i was walking away pretty hard so that tells me he was losing power at a much faster rate than i was.

Havent gotten a chance to run an M157 yet so i cant add any first hand experience
I'm somewhat confused ... I don't see any indication in the OP's post that he's looking for a drag stripper ... rather a comparison between a few cars, which the C63 is not under consideration

I still own my CLK63BS, so I'm pretty familiar with that engine. If you read my post, it was about real world driving, not staging a drag race. Besides, you obviously have headers and full exhaust with tune etc. How can you compare this to a stock (axle back exhaust on the F10 M5 has no performance advantage except sound) M5?

In my post I mentioned driving my M5 up the Grossglockner ... you can do the math how much power you would lose in your C63 compared to a force fed M5 at an altitude of 8200ft ... not to mention how your MCT would go into limp mode from getting too hot.

Anyway, back to comparing OP's cars of choice.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Ezec63

I agree turbo cars will heat soak more than N/A cars. What would be more relevant is a heads up race against the E/CLS63 V8 Biturbos, Audi RS7 or Panamera Turbo which are all turbos.

You had mentioned that the M5 put up some good magazine times but wouldn't perform in hot weather which I disputed with my actual drag strip times. Also, please note that drag strip trap speeds are lower than magazine GPS trap speeds given that timing lights are used at the drag strip to come up with the average speed over the final 66' of the run. Having run my vbox at the track with various other cars, the timeslip trap has been 1.35 mph to 2.31mph SLOWER than the GPS trap at 1,320'. Unfortunately, I was on my way to the track before remembering that the vbox was at home otherwise my GPS trap would have been in the 122-123 mph range on the same run.

Originally Posted by SMP
I'm somewhat confused ... I don't see any indication in the OP's post that he's looking for a drag stripper ... rather a comparison between a few cars, which the C63 is not under consideration

I still own my CLK63BS, so I'm pretty familiar with that engine. If you read my post, it was about real world driving, not staging a drag race. Besides, you obviously have headers and full exhaust with tune etc. How can you compare this to a stock (axle back exhaust on the F10 M5 has no performance advantage except sound) M5?

In my post I mentioned driving my M5 up the Grossglockner ... you can do the math how much power you would lose in your C63 compared to a force fed M5 at an altitude of 8200ft ... not to mention how your MCT would go into limp mode from getting too hot.

Anyway, back to comparing OP's cars of choice.
I probably sidetracked things myself with drag strip #'s... but I agree...the discussion isn't about C63 vs F10 M5 but should be about the other cars mentioned by the OP
Old 08-09-2013, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
After looking at thread like this I have to say

"Developed country problems - Which car should I spend $100,000 on ? " lol

Old 08-11-2013, 01:55 AM

C63 Coupe
I agree turbo cars will heat soak more than N/A cars. What would be more relevant is a heads up race against the E/CLS63 V8 Biturbos, Audi RS7 or Panamera Turbo which are all turbos.

You had mentioned that the M5 put up some good magazine times but wouldn't perform in hot weather which I disputed with my actual drag strip times. Also, please note that drag strip trap speeds are lower than magazine GPS trap speeds given that timing lights are used at the drag strip to come up with the average speed over the final 66' of the run. Having run my vbox at the track with various other cars, the timeslip trap has been 1.35 mph to 2.31mph SLOWER than the GPS trap at 1,320'. Unfortunately, I was on my way to the track before remembering that the vbox was at home otherwise my GPS trap would have been in the 122-123 mph range on the same run.

I probably sidetracked things myself with drag strip #'s... but I agree...the discussion isn't about C63 vs F10 M5 but should be about the other cars mentioned by the OP
Yupp totally agree I was just trying to bring some first hand experience on my point of heat soak from my runs with the f10. Not a fair fight anyway he had a axle back I have to many things to list no doubt they are straight line beasts straight off the showroom floor.

Btw good choice on the evoque it's my daily driver and I love it for that purpose. Plus with Blizzak DM-V1 on it in the winter it's becomes unstoppable