W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just did brake pads. Still have the wear warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 10:26 PM

Location: Gainesville, FL: In a garage or in a bar, or a garage with a bar in it.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55, 2011 Honda Push Mower (21 inch deck bishes)
Just did brake pads. Still have the wear warning

I went into the service menu but didn't see anything listed for brakes, so I tried confirming a full service. Still have the message. Grrr.

NOW, here's the interesting part. When I went to the driver's side rear after doing both fronts, there wasn't a wear sensor. I thought maybe only the fronts had them. Then I did the passenger rear and there was a sensor. Should I assume my sensor somehow fell out? I mean there's not even a bolt in the caliper where the passenger side one is. I assume that's why I still have the brake wear warning? The pads were LOW, so I'm glad I have Akebonos all the way around now, but lord do I hate clearing the messages every time I start my car. So is there a sensor missing? If so I'll order one up tomorrow.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 2012 GL550, 2000 Ford Lightning, 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Pretty sure there is only one sensor on the rear as my new pads only came with one for the rears...Have not changed them yet so I have no idea on clearing the message.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
One on the front pad and one on the back pad.
If the sensor either front or back has touched the rotor" in case of very low pad " then the sensor face is damaged and must be replaced, for a few bucks do both and make sure connection is clean when installing. Yes good pads usually come with the sensor.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211
Some vendors include the brake wear sensors while others sell a la cart. I would get a couple to replace the front/rear.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:55 PM

Location: Gainesville, FL: In a garage or in a bar, or a garage with a bar in it.
Originally Posted by Critter
One on the front pad and one on the back pad.
If the sensor either front or back has touched the rotor" in case of very low pad " then the sensor face is damaged and must be replaced, for a few bucks do both and make sure connection is clean when installing. Yes good pads usually come with the sensor.

Hmmm, My fronts DEFINTIELY have sensors on both driver's and passenger's side. It was the driver's rear that had no sensor, sensor bracket, hell I didn't even see a wire for the plug. Can anyone confirm? I need to know whether to order 3 or 4.

THANKS!
Old 08-06-2013, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Lets go back to square one, if the pads were very low on the rear and the sensor face has been damaged from rotor contact, then that's the issue. If the front sensors never touched the rotor face then they are okay. Start with the rear, but if you are going through the motions do all three. One sensor rear passenger side only.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Critter
Lets go back to square one, if the pads were very low on the rear and the sensor face has been damaged from rotor contact, then that's the issue. If the front sensors never touched the rotor face then they are okay. Start with the rear, but if you are going through the motions do all three. One sensor rear passenger side only.

Thanks for helping me "put the brakes on" and breathe a little. I see what you're saying. The rears were MURDERED.
Can you spot the difference between the old one and the new Akebonos? LOL!

I did get a little overzealous removing the front passenger sensor and it pulled the rubber away from the inductor though. I'm not even mad now. Just hit RockAuto and I got all 3 sensors for 15 bux shipped. Talk about the cheapest parts I've ever seen for this car

Last edited by typhoon43; 08-06-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 08-06-2013, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
You got your monies worth out of them. nice even wear, like to see that.
Part of the reason for the sensor on the passenger rear (wear) is that when the wheel starts to spin then that brake is applied to send some power over to the other side, sort of a cheap posi ha ha , so in effect the passenger rear will wear more than the drivers side
Glad all is well now.