Sponsored by:

Fixed Pulley Review and Findings...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Shifter I thought you were an MB tech or something? I would think you would know more about these cars. The supercharger isn't engaged under a certain throttle position angle and load. Have you even ever logged your car? I felt the need to show you in a video since I don't think you still believe what people are saying.

I went out and got on the highway running around 80mph and almost 90 as I was slowly accelerating and the car isn't making boost because the clutch is not engaged. That is the whole purpose of the clutch being their as part of the design, to aid against heat if there is a problem to shut the blower off and that along with the bypass valve to also make no boost and get better fuel mileage while cruising.

The video isn't the best since the camera phone kept needing to focus going back and forth but you can see it running like -6.5psi at the beginning aka vacuum and not in boost, kind of hard to see in the video at the end due to the poor focusing and lower quality of video from photobucket.

And for what it is worth, my CTS-V that has a "clutchless" pulley by design shows zero boost as well with only a bypass valve at high speeds if you are just cruising, even if I am going 85mph.

Might want to actually have facts before you start making statements that are not facts while trying to show them as such. To much dang misinformation gets thrown around.

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/Urbam...3047f.mp4.html

Last edited by urbamworm; 08-09-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
To me , from reading all of the above until now it just seems like this mod isn't going to be good for DD. Why ?

Well, first off- even now not everyone has an updated bosch pump

Some who have a Bosch pump don't necessarily have a bigger HE

And those who have both (I do , bosch and bigger H/E) I only have S/C pulley as a mod (I was advised against getting a crank pulley cuz of heat issues

and bad installation) , so if the first and second group of people start putting on this pulley which is equal to (180mm crank) it'll make the car heat soak

and will affect DD capabilities.

Who here has only like S/C pulley or just a bigger crank pulley and has done Meth, split, bigger H/E , trunk tank and what not ? I'd say none. Only

people who have done that are the ones with extensive mods.

For above -correct me if I'm wrong anywhere

I have a simple question though 180mm pulley vs 77mm pulley (equal to 180 crank) only mod on the car, which would make more hp ? and safe ?
Old 08-09-2013, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Originally Posted by viren.89
I have a simple question though 180mm pulley vs 77mm pulley (equal to 180 crank) only mod on the car, which would make more hp ? and safe ?
It is an easy concept, it don't matter how you make the boost, if a supercharger pulley or crank pulley are making the same boost they are going to make the same power.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 PM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
I wouldn't draw any conclusions until the tune is done. Would imagine that Jerry is going to actuate the bypass valve under vacuum to lower cruising & light load IATs and cavitation. Assuming the ECU has this capability.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
Originally Posted by DVC
I wouldn't draw any conclusions until the tune is done.
I agree. I'm not posting for or against the product, I just want to accumulate the data and get people to share their's.

I'm currently running the 77mm pulley. If after some testing and tweaking the 77 generates too much heat, I may consider the 80mm pulley as an alternative.
Either way, I need more data before I can conclude for or against it. It does feel very powerful after the reflash and I love the peppiness. Also comforting that I don't have to worry about a bad crank install that could cause expensive engine damage.

Hopefully someone with an 80 or 83mm pulley will chime in with some info. Curious to hear what they're experiencing.

Last edited by Tech-Tune; 08-09-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
Originally Posted by Tech-Tune
...It does feel very powerful after the reflash and I love the peppiness...
So you have the EC tune for the fixed pulley already?

To all, i really would like to see how the bypass-flap is working with the new tune for the fixed pulleys and IF and WHAT fail-save measures are implemented if IATs getting to high (pump failure while hard accelerating or highspeed highway driving, etc) by Eurocharged.

Ideal would be bypass-flap fully open (ie. no boost) and timing pulled when IATs to high.
However i have no idea what can be done in the ECU software we use, besides changing Hex-values for fuel and ignition timing.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:20 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Shardul and I drove Jerry`s @ EC stock E55 with our 80mm Fixed SC pulley on it. Car is all stock but his FSCP tune and EC heat exchanger. It was 100-101 degrees and IAT`s on a heat soaked car stayed in the 130 to 136 deg range. We were all suprised how radical the car felt with the pulley being fixed. Lot of fun to drive, very responsive and you could almost bounce the front tires off the ground by doing rolling throttle blips When it cools down here, going to a lot of fun. 80mm is = to a 175mm crank pulley but lot less weight. Tune feels real good and Jerry said he had burned a lot of overtime working on FSCP tune.

Also have a stock fixed pulley size, for the people that want to leave boost the same, but lighten rotational mass and get the quicker throttle response.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 08-10-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:17 PM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
I agree. I'm not posting for or against the product, I just want to accumulate the data and get people to share their's.
Thank you for starting the thread and please update if you can when you get the tune. It would be nice to get rid of the part-throttle engagement chop.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
The new tune I uploaded yesterday has a few issues that need to be fixed: It bucks on partial throttle and has massively delayed shifts.
I've been communicating with a forum member who has had more time with this pulley and was also experiencing these same issues. Yesterday he uploaded a revised file from Jerry and it seems to have resolved the problems.
Gonna see if Jerry can apply the changes to my file.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
So the getting FSC pulley over the crank pulley is to avoid mishaps that happen with bad

installation right ? I mean it still generates same heat as stated above rather the car's ambient

temp stays higher than normal cuz it's engaged all the time right?

Just wondering what are the benefits of getting this over a 180mm pulley ?
Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
So the getting FSC pulley over the crank pulley is to avoid mishaps that happen with bad

installation right ? I mean it still generates same heat as stated above rather the car's ambient

temp stays higher than normal cuz it's engaged all the time right?

Just wondering what are the benefits of getting this over a 180mm pulley ?
Theoretically speaking :
(1) Positive : Maintain OEM balanced crank pulley
(2) Positive : Reduced rotating mass on supercharger should improve transient response, although I doubt it would be noticeable given the OEM system
(3) Positive : Eliminate some of the clutch issues folks have - with older or poorly shimmed setups
(4) Negative: Supercharger always spinning, so it will generate heat and wear even when not needed....
Old 08-11-2013, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 cls 55 amg
i'm interested for the 77mm pulley....is it possible to daily drive the car witout the s/c belt ? and use it at the trac....i have a 5 min drive to the job...dont really need the s/c spinning

Last edited by sircl55amg; 08-11-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Originally Posted by urbamworm
Shifter I thought you were an MB tech or something? I would think you would know more about these cars. The supercharger isn't engaged under a certain throttle position angle and load. Have you even ever logged your car? I felt the need to show you in a video since I don't think you still believe what people are saying.

I went out and got on the highway running around 80mph and almost 90 as I was slowly accelerating and the car isn't making boost because the clutch is not engaged. That is the whole purpose of the clutch being their as part of the design, to aid against heat if there is a problem to shut the blower off and that along with the bypass valve to also make no boost and get better fuel mileage while cruising.

The video isn't the best since the camera phone kept needing to focus going back and forth but you can see it running like -6.5psi at the beginning aka vacuum and not in boost, kind of hard to see in the video at the end due to the poor focusing and lower quality of video from photobucket.

And for what it is worth, my CTS-V that has a "clutchless" pulley by design shows zero boost as well with only a bypass valve at high speeds if you are just cruising, even if I am going 85mph.

Might want to actually have facts before you start making statements that are not facts while trying to show them as such. To much dang misinformation gets thrown around.

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/Urbam...3047f.mp4.html
If your trying to call me out ok. I'm a team leader with 13 years of master certification.

It's fair to say I have some technical knowledge.
I've used SDS to monitor values when driving. That's where I get my info from about " logging".
Anyhow you can't make out anything in that vid you posted.

Maybe I'll just get runoff and fed up with it like most others in the field.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Originally Posted by sircl55amg
i'm interested for the 77mm pulley....is it possible to daily drive the car witout the s/c belt ? and use it at the trac....i have a 5 min drive to the job...dont really need the s/c spinning
It does not sound like this mod is for you....
Old 08-11-2013, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 cls 55 amg
Originally Posted by cij911
It does not sound like this mod is for you....
? why not... i never go fast on the streets.... only at the 1/4 on weekends

bah never mind....

i will just swap pulley for track day

Last edited by sircl55amg; 08-11-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 GL550
Just make me a 77mm crank pulley w/ a clutch! Best of both worlds for me...stock crank pulley and protection.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cij911
Theoretically speaking :
(1) Positive : Maintain OEM balanced crank pulley
(2) Positive : Reduced rotating mass on supercharger should improve transient response, although I doubt it would be noticeable given the OEM system
(3) Positive : Eliminate some of the clutch issues folks have - with older or poorly shimmed setups
(4) Negative: Supercharger always spinning, so it will generate heat and wear even when not needed....
Thanks,

So number 1 and 3 can simply be avoided by getting properly installed both

items.

The question is how does having no clutch affect drivability and is the luxury

feel go away but having such a "jump ready throttle" even in comfort mode ?
Old 08-12-2013, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
Originally Posted by Style_Front
Who can really answer this? What if the supercharger life was 500,000 miles and it shortened it in half, only 250,000 miles? Yes it will be running more but as long as it stays within operating temps and well lubed it should run like a top for a long long time.
I agree! So it is important to change the supercharger oil
Old 08-12-2013, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To me , from reading all of the above until now it just seems like this mod isn't going to be good for DD. Why ?

Well, first off- even now not everyone has an updated bosch pump

Some who have a Bosch pump don't necessarily have a bigger HE

And those who have both (I do , bosch and bigger H/E) I only have S/C pulley as a mod (I was advised against getting a crank pulley cuz of heat issues

and bad installation) , so if the first and second group of people start putting on this pulley which is equal to (180mm crank) it'll make the car heat soak

and will affect DD capabilities.

Who here has only like S/C pulley or just a bigger crank pulley and has done Meth, split, bigger H/E , trunk tank and what not ? I'd say none. Only

people who have done that are the ones with extensive mods.

For above -correct me if I'm wrong anywhere

I have split cooling H/E with the clutch less pulley i do notice the heat under the hood. but for now i cant tell how much until I get it tuned.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm currently running the 77mm pulley. If after some testing and tweaking the 77 generates too much heat, I may consider the 80mm pulley as an alternative.
Either way, I need more data before I can conclude for or against it. It does feel very powerful after the reflash and I love the peppiness. Also comforting that I don't have to worry about a bad crank install that could cause expensive engine damage.
been there and cost me 2,700 in repair. The crank pulley sheered the key way.

Hopefully someone with an 80 or 83mm pulley will chime in with some info. Curious to hear what they're experiencing.
Right now i installed the 77mm pulley too. IF it boils down to it i will install trunk tank too. I love the peppiness as well. The car turely feels like a beast now IMO
Old 08-12-2013, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Today I kept the gas peddle conersverative at about 2800 RPM for my daily commute (60 Miles)and I was able to get 18MPG on the 77mm pulley
Old 08-12-2013, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What I did not like was Shardull not mentioning that the tune is not supported by Eurocharged
Old 08-12-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
Originally Posted by Manuyc
What I did not like was Shardull not mentioning that the tune is not supported by Eurocharged
How you mean that???
Wasnt it only EC that did the initial testings and tune?
Old 08-12-2013, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

usually when you purchase a tune from E/C and then do more mods down the road E/C will send you a new tune with added mods from free. but with the clutch less pulley you will have to pay for a new tune
Old 08-12-2013, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Manuyc
I have split cooling H/E with the clutch less pulley i do notice the heat under the hood. but for now i cant tell how much until I get it tuned.
I meant all of those. I also have a S/C pulley - bosch and bigger H/E lol

Shardul didn't needed to mention anything cuz they both different companies, or maybe he didn't know how EC would work on pricing.

Anyhow, I do understand that how it must suck for you though, not being able to go WOT cuz it ain't tuned yet lol

This however will be a great first mod based on it's value.

Do you not think that it takes away the luxury feel from the car by making it "throttle ready" all the time? For example in comfort mode

the car used to need more throttle to make a jump and then clutch engages and then the car would go and now it just jumps right

away ? Base question is how do you feel driving the car ? You think the car should've already came like this or do you miss the

clutch engagement ? lol sounds cheesy but these are the things that affect daily drivability.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fixed Pulley Review and Findings...