W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

05 E55 vs wayward 2013 Boxster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi S4 (sold), E46 M3 (sold) 05 E55 silver/black(sold)
05 E55 vs wayward 2013 Boxster

So last night, the owner of a 2013 Porsche Boxster learned a few unfortunate lessons in what can happen when you have little to no driver training, expect your car to just somehow do it all for you and have little knowledge of the capabilities, strengths, weakness of other cars around you. As when I introduced myself to this forum, I'll preface this with the fact that I have driver training (Dirtfish Rally School) and work in a business that allows me to use it. I do not claim to be Kimi or Lewis, but I've got decent car control.

After a mediocre time out and about, I decided to call it a night rather early and take the long way home to enjoy a relaxing drive in my car and some tunes. From Beverly Hills I drove up Rodeo Drive to Sunset Blvd in order to head west towards Santa Monica. It pleased me to see that I had the green light approaching Sunset as there was a good knot of westbound cars sitting at the red light, which I would have eventually caught and had to get around to have some open road. I make my left, open it up a little, glance in the rearview mirror and immediately note the Porsche headlights which apparently had just weaved through some cars to clear the pack. Wonderful (sarcasm), was my first thought, and I think it may be a Panamera was my second, and alright then, we'll see what's what was my third, and the fourth, I hope it's a turbo. I stayed in the left lane to give this guy the inside line going into the first sweeping right hander and as he closed on me, I saw it wasn't a Panamera but a Boxster. I look the car over, it's brand new, no tags (Beverly Hills Porsche ad tag), cocky driver who disdainfully glances at my "old model" Benz. Given the neighborhood I was in a CLS or E class 6.3 might have earned me more respect. Anyway, I kind of abandoned any thought of keeping up with him in the sweeping twists to come but first......maybe I shall take my measure of the driver seeing as how he busted his *** cutting off cars to catch up to me.

If you open up Googlemaps and center on Rodeo/Sunset, then follow Sunset west, you will see the first turn is a right hander. It's a bit off camber and has 2-3ft tall yellow markers on the center line. I gave this guy the inside lane and I hear that tin can sounding engine as he accelerates hard for the turn.....and then inexplicibly, brakes to take it. At the speed we were going, I didn't need to brake, so he certainly did not need to brake. Ok. Now I have a rough idea of who you are and I'm going to hurt your feelings. I accelerate hard and go around him on this off camber, right hand turn. I lift, he accelerates hard to catch up to me and I head into the next set of left turning bends. They start out off camber and kind of blind frankly(Gateway Triangle on the map) but by the S they are positive cambered and bowl like deep. You can absolutely rail them, you can also see a lot of road ahead and there wasn't any traffic coming at me. Only him behind me and there's some recovery room but not a lot. I find the Benz to be rather neutral in all this but I feel her weight.

Surely here this guy will have confidence, I know if I were in his car I would have left me, 500rwhp and all in the rear view by now, but no. We get to these turns and he just doesn't know anything about lines, where to put the car, what it might do....his style seems to be, if that sedan can take this turn, I can probably stay close, I'm in a Porsche Boxster for Christs sake! Hey, that used to be my style too before I took my butt in for some professional instruction. Anyway, I decide to push it some more but not enough to need to brake before these sweeping turns which quite frankly on the street, would be way too fast and give me no room to recover should any of the corners push or decide to step out. After all, it is not uncommon to see a river of water across the road from the sprinkler systems in these multi million dollar properties. Nonetheless, I know from my own experience that not seeing brakes lights before certain corners and seeing (well driven) Lotus's rail said corners when driving in the canyons is demoralizing though understandable. I figure it will be more so when he sees this big Benz doing what he obviously does not have the skill to do. I've owned two Porsche's in the past and even in those cars and at the speeds we were traveling I wouldn't have needed to brake. Let's face it,this Boxster was just wasted on this guy as it probably is for 90% of the owners. However, this guy instigated this beat down, so it shall continue for as long as he keeps drawing up on me on the few straights we see.

I finally catch a red light and he pulls up next to me. He meets my eye for a second, looks sheepish and is now really looking the Benz over carefully. I have the passenger window down, ready to exchange friendly banter if he’s willing…and then the light turns green and he actually nails it again, as if this was all that was lacking in his failure to reel me in or even keep up. Are you fracking kidding me?! He gets the jump and I romp on it. I get all kinds of triangle light, car squirm and then I hook up and with the glorious sound of supercharger whine I am gone. I slow once we cross the 405 and since the freaking southbound ramp was closed I decide to keep rolling along Sunset. He eventually catches up and makes no further attempt to engage me. There’s now some traffic around anyway and eventually he comes to his turn off street and he does that thing where he briefly races ahead, brakes, and makes his turn off. Hope he doesn’t blame the car.

Last edited by KMS11; 08-24-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: detail
Old 08-24-2013, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
lol....love the Google Maps play-by-play addition
Old 08-24-2013, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
E63S
I'm too drunk to read all that, but all I have to say is that you won that race before it even started.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 2012 GL550, 2000 Ford Lightning, 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Nice write up! I felt like I was riding along with you. That's the way a good street kill story should be. Well done!
Old 08-25-2013, 03:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Old 08-25-2013, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
Originally Posted by HeissRod
lol....love the Google Maps play-by-play addition
Reminds me of this

Video here:
Old 08-25-2013, 12:47 PM

Totally!! Why did I not just take Santa Monica Blvd west to Wilshire towards the 405?
Old 08-25-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55, 07 ML500
Frickin Love it.. I had a guy in a viper try the same thing, his license was "biteyou" I crushed him, he wouldn't even look at me... Nice kill.. Our "old" girls can still run....
Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 PM

Thanks guys. These encounters have been very few for me as most owners of fast exotics or muscle cars glance over, look at the badge and sulk off. The notable exceptions are other Benz owners in the twin turbo V8's. That's when I pretend to have lost my phone charger in the center console somewhere.