W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie intro w/pics. need Suggestions HELP dig racing.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supra94,Evo8,335i(daily)
Newbie intro w/pics. need Suggestions HELP dig racing.

Whats up mbworld! I am no newbie to the car scene, but new to the AMG world. I previously had a turboed 350z, 700AWHP Evo, and fully built MK4 Supra. This is my first car racing in an Automatic though. I do have a few things to say about my new purchase of an 05 e55 AMG. First off, I LOVE the car!! power for days, comfortable, looks great, and turns heads. I have a small kill list of cars so far, 13” ALPINA B7, Jeep srt8, and 370z. My race against the Alpina was the best I’ve had, I had good traction and we were neck and neck up till about 100.
ON for the issues I’ve had: I just got back from line racing a few a cars in DYNO MODE, and I can’t seem to keep traction or have a good jump off the line. ALL I SEEM TO DO IS SPIN tires. I even just bought a set of toyo proxes r888 drag radials to hook, and it still spins all the way to 3rd. I got beat by a stock cobra and 12” camaro SS for this reason.. pretty sad in my book considering I have tons more power. I also have power cut off drastically after one or two runs. I'm pretty sure this is my stock IC pump though and need to upgrade then. And when I leave the car in DYNO mode for too long, even when im not pushing the car too its limits, I get a limp mode type issue. This goes right away if i turn off DYNO mode and start the car back up.
THis is what i do when I race off the line: 1) put the car in DYNO mode, Do a nice burn out, put the car into Drive SPORT, and just mash the gas on the go. But all that happens is I spin much of the way and feel cut off from the supercharger ( IC PUMP??).

What AM I DOING WRONG?? I CANT BE BEAT BY THESE other stock NA CARS...pretty depressing...
SUGGESTIONS: IC PUMP??? TUNE?? leave the car in comfort mode? dont mash the gas off the line??? Leave off DYNO mode??? what the hell am I doing wrong and what I can do to fix this...

Also, Heres a few pics of my other cars for some eye candy!!

screenshot windows 8

screen capture open source
free image hosting
how to make screen shot
Old 09-10-2013, 07:07 AM

2006 E55
Welcome. You can improve you holeshots by not "mashing" the gas. Modulate throttle and get a good feel for the car. It's definitely not like a stick car where you can control wheel spin with the clutch. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Also, get that cooling system sorted out. If you race the car often you really need to look into split cooling and at the very least a bigger heat exchanger.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
If you really want to hook good, you need drag radials not the R888's. BFG makes a 275 35 18 drag radial, or MT 265/40R18's are very sticky!! Otherwise you need to take it easy on the throttle until you get moving a bit, dyno mode may not be your friend on the street either. Just keep driving the car and you will learn as you go
Old 09-10-2013, 08:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Love that supra man! Good luck with the dig launches!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Quit using Dyno mode and use Sport mode.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by bstudey01
If you really want to hook good, you need drag radials not the R888's. BFG makes a 275 35 18 drag radial, or MT 265/40R18's are very sticky!! Otherwise you need to take it easy on the throttle until you get moving a bit, dyno mode may not be your friend on the street either. Just keep driving the car and you will learn as you go
Old 09-10-2013, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
First off congrats on the purchase of one of the best cars ever made A couple tips I have learned over the years, only use dyno mode on the dyno and at a well prepped drag strip.

Your car and the 06 models like I have cannot burnout unless in dyno mode. Put the car in dyno mode if you wish to burnout on the street, then flip it back to normal mode, takes seconds. Turn your traction control button under the stereo to the off position, and your R888's will hook damn nice.

Here is a DIY on Dyno mode instructions:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...tructions.html
Old 09-10-2013, 10:57 AM

Supra94,Evo8,335i(daily)
Thanks guys for the replys and input! And after doing some more reading and "research", I found that its best to "feather" the accelerator at the beginning of the launch to get descent traction then fully mash the throttle once i feel I have traction. I need to pay more attention to the RPMS.

@Chawkins, i totally agree with you on that.. I was thinking of doing the same thing but felt silly turning off and on my car while being lined up, but I think I'll do that though. BTW saw the post for your BUckhead special and might have that on order soon ...Also I see your a member on SVT, me too.
@REDBULLJUNKY, dude I have done research on this car for the past year before buying it.. I knew what i was getting myself into, and lets just say that when I see your Vids on youtube, I want my car to run like yours! Itll happen haha...
Old 09-10-2013, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 E55 AMG
Put the cars suspension in comfort mode, then raise the suspension with the button, this will help transfer the weight of the vehicle on launch. When the car is rigid it breaks loose easier, as opposed to having the weight is rolled back on to the rear wheels helping traction. As for the tranny I put it in sport mode, I have an 04 so I can do smokey burn outs just by turning off the TC, you may have to do dyno mode for burn outs. I also had IC pump cut blower and power, you won't regret the Bosch 010 IC pump for around $100, its plug and play. Congrats on the BEAST
Old 09-10-2013, 12:20 PM

Supra94,Evo8,335i(daily)
Originally Posted by MAN55LE
Put the cars suspension in comfort mode, then raise the suspension with the button, this will help transfer the weight of the vehicle on launch. When the car is rigid it breaks loose easier, as opposed to having the weight is rolled back on to the rear wheels helping traction. As for the tranny I put it in sport mode, I have an 04 so I can do smokey burn outs just by turning off the TC, you may have to do dyno mode for burn outs. I also had IC pump cut blower and power, you won't regret the Bosch 010 IC pump for around $100, its plug and play. Congrats on the BEAST
Thanks .... And Yes I will be ordering a pump today!!! I think mine is shot since it happens quite often and after very little hard use on the street. Gotta give this another shot for next monday night races lol.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Why are you running the car in dyno mode?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
'06 E55
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Your car and the 06 models like I have cannot burnout unless in dyno mode.
We're still trying to figure out what cars will and will not do burnouts. It seems a lot of '06 models can't, but mine does. My sig pic was done with dyno mode off and traction control turned off (obviously).

OP, you have over 500lb/ft of low RPM insta-torque. You can't mash and go, especially from a dig. On street tires from a dig, I usually give it a quick stab between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle to get things moving quickly. Usually I'll get a chirp, and then once they bite, I start feeding it the rest of my foot in a nice linear manner. I find the Michelin Pilot SuperSports do pretty well on these cars.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:27 PM

Supra94,Evo8,335i(daily)
Originally Posted by Max.H
Why are you running the car in dyno mode?
Well Max, I figured that If I were to completely disable traction control, I wouldn't have cut-off issues of the the traction control trying to kick in. I know esp turns of control, but through various amounts of readings on this forum, it seems that even that doesn't fully disengage the unit to "off"
Old 09-10-2013, 05:30 PM

Supra94,Evo8,335i(daily)
Originally Posted by Denroll
We're still trying to figure out what cars will and will not do burnouts. It seems a lot of '06 models can't, but mine does. My sig pic was done with dyno mode off and traction control turned off (obviously).

OP, you have over 500lb/ft of low RPM insta-torque. You can't mash and go, especially from a dig. On street tires from a dig, I usually give it a quick stab between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle to get things moving quickly. Usually I'll get a chirp, and then once they bite, I start feeding it the rest of my foot in a nice linear manner. I find the Michelin Pilot SuperSports do pretty well on these cars.
Denroll, through numerous attempts of me leaving from a dig, I have yet to try and use that technique. I think tomorrow I can get some runs in with people and I will give the car quarter to half throttle , and then as soon it hooks, pull like a freight train. Thanks man hope it works lol
Old 09-11-2013, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
All these posts can be summarized into three simple words:
Learn. To. Drive.

Good luck w your future races!