W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I clear "Readiness Monitor" warnings? !! PICS !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
How do I clear "Readiness Monitor" warnings? !! PICS !!

I use the PLX WiFi and the Palmer Performance DashCommand to occasionally clear error codes for "Small Evap Leak".... (those are the ones you get as a result of the leaking fuel sender issue)

Recently, I went in for my annual car inspection but couldn't get my sticker due to some unresolved OBD errors..... I did a scan with the DashCommand app and here are the codes it's displaying:

Summary Screen:

Detail Screen showing the 4 specific Readiness errors:

Could these be related to my EC tune? I have both sets of O2 sensors connected but I suppose there's a chance that Jerry provided a tune with the 1st get of O2 sensors disabled??

I tried clearing the codes myself, but no joy. Is there anyone who has seen this type of error code before that might know what caused it and how to resolve it?

Thought I'd try the forums first before I call EC and bother them with my questions.

-G
Old 09-19-2013, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
I had a few issues like this a few months back. First the cats is most likely the in the tune (they sent me a file to turn them back on, and that fixed the issue). Now the evap system took my car about 200-300 miles to cycle and read again ( my battery had died, so everything had cleared).
Old 09-19-2013, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
If your state does not require smog then do not worry about it. Readiness monitors could have been disabled by your tune. I'd double check with the person who did it for you. No need to be alarmed as its not the end of the world
Old 09-19-2013, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by biggking
If your state does not require smog then do not worry about it. Readiness monitors could have been disabled by your tune. I'd double check with the person who did it for you. No need to be alarmed as its not the end of the world
Unfortunately, NH inspection won't allow me to get a sticker if any codes are present...

I sent a message to Jerry @ EC along my my original tune file. Hopefully he'll be able to get me the necessary tweaks to clear these codes.

-G
Old 09-19-2013, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Greg, You are allowed one code to not be ready.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold - 05' E55
I'm dealing with the same issue right now also. I sent a PM to my tuner tuner earlier today. I want to get this resolved.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
w205 C63s, w212 E63,w219CLS500-SOLD! w211 E63, 2006 E60 M5 (KABOOM!)
You need to drive the car and complete a drive cycle to set the readiness monitors. The reason they are not set I'm assuming is because you cleared whatever codes you had before going to the smog shop. Unfortunately, not only do the codes clear, the readiness monitors reset. Drive it, and hope you have no CEL's showing. You can use your scan tool to check the readiness monitors. As stated above, you can have one "not ready". Doesnt matter which one. Hope that helps.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Originally Posted by AKnight55
Greg, You are allowed one code to not be ready.
Please do not confuse "codes" with "readiness monitors" they are two separate things in the smog check world and the NJ inspection.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jaedee
You need to drive the car and complete a drive cycle to set the readiness monitors. The reason they are not set I'm assuming is because you cleared whatever codes you had before going to the smog shop. Unfortunately, not only do the codes clear, the readiness monitors reset. Drive it, and hope you have no CEL's showing. You can use your scan tool to check the readiness monitors. As stated above, you can have one "not ready". Doesnt matter which one. Hope that helps.
Yeah, I kind of remembered that you need to drive the car for a period of time after clearing codes. I cleared a "Small Evap Leak" code a few weeks ago and have taken a couple of long drives since then.... maybe not 400 miles total, but pretty close I'd bet.

The concern is that the readiness monitors for O2 Heat, Sensor and Catalyst could be related to being turned completely off in the ECU tune. If that's the case then no amount of driving is going to clear those monitors out.

I'm guessing that the "evaporative system" monitor is a byproduct of the evap leak code that I cleared.... so it will probably go away on it's own after a period of time.

-G
Old 09-19-2013, 04:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
w205 C63s, w212 E63,w219CLS500-SOLD! w211 E63, 2006 E60 M5 (KABOOM!)
Originally Posted by GregMB
Yeah, I kind of remembered that you need to drive the car for a period of time after clearing codes. I cleared a "Small Evap Leak" code a few weeks ago and have taken a couple of long drives since then.... maybe not 400 miles total, but pretty close I'd bet.

The concern is that the readiness monitors for O2 Heat, Sensor and Catalyst could be related to being turned completely off in the ECU tune. If that's the case then no amount of driving is going to clear those monitors out.

I'm guessing that the "evaporative system" monitor is a byproduct of the evap leak code that I cleared.... so it will probably go away on it's own after a period of time.

-G
Try driving the car and periodically check your readiness monitors. Once they set or become "ready", they will not reset by themselves. The problem people run into is that once the readiness monitors set, the CEL comes back if the root of the problem has not been fixed. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by biggking
Please do not confuse "codes" with "readiness monitors" they are two separate things in the smog check world and the NJ inspection.
Yes, readiness monitor. We are talking NH here, no NJ.

Last edited by AKnight55; 09-19-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE:

OK, just to clear things up a bit. I've been exchanging email with Jerry at EC and got some good information:

A regular EC tune will be setup to prevent CEL errors by turning off the O2 sensors. The side effect seems to be that the "Readiness Monitors" will show NOT READY for these items.

You can have EC turn on the O2 sensors to allow the Readiness Monitors to get proper readings, but when you do... the lack of front cats will trigger the CELs again. (I've got the MBH long tube headers, so there is no room to re-install the front cats)....

So, you are either going to have CEL issues, or Readiness Monitor issues. Depending on what your state looks at, this might be acceptable. For me it is not.

The good news is that Jerry can work around these issues (just like Kleeman claims to do) if you send him your ECU directly.... so if you're a big EuroCharged fan, you don't have to beg for help from another vendor to resolve this issue. Jerry can handle it....

Now you know.

-G
Old 10-10-2013, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013.10.10 - UPDATE!!!!

This would have been sooner, but I don't drive the car enough to rack up the miles to clear codes....

Yesterday after a couple of weeks driving around on the new "Jerry-flashed" ECU all of the readiness monitors (except for the Evaporative System) have now cleared!

Here in NH, you are allowed to have 1 "readiness monitor" flagged, and still get your sticker.... I suspect that the Evaporative System code will eventually clear as well, but I was already a couple of weeks past due for the sticker so I rushed over to the local shop and had them put on my new windshield sticker immediately. With my luck (and leaking fuel sender) I'd end up with a CEL and have to start the clearing/driving process all over again!!!!

In Summary:

If you want to install longtube headers, and don't want CELs or Readiness Monitor warnings in your OBD-II report, EuroCharged (Jerry) can work his magic and take care of it for you. Depending on your state laws, this might be enough to get your through the inspection process cleanly.... it was for me. Keep in mind, I still have rear cats.... I'm not sure if that would make any difference or not, but at this point I'm just happy to have all the extra power of the longtubes AND a fully-legal E55 again!!!!

-G
Old 10-10-2013, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by GregMB
2013.10.10 - UPDATE!!!!

This would have been sooner, but I don't drive the car enough to rack up the miles to clear codes....

Yesterday after a couple of weeks driving around on the new "Jerry-flashed" ECU all of the readiness monitors (except for the Evaporative System) have now cleared!

Here in NH, you are allowed to have 1 "readiness monitor" flagged, and still get your sticker.... I suspect that the Evaporative System code will eventually clear as well, but I was already a couple of weeks past due for the sticker so I rushed over to the local shop and had them put on my new windshield sticker immediately. With my luck (and leaking fuel sender) I'd end up with a CEL and have to start the clearing/driving process all over again!!!!

In Summary:

If you want to install longtube headers, and don't want CELs or Readiness Monitor warnings in your OBD-II report, EuroCharged (Jerry) can work his magic and take care of it for you. Depending on your state laws, this might be enough to get your through the inspection process cleanly.... it was for me. Keep in mind, I still have rear cats.... I'm not sure if that would make any difference or not, but at this point I'm just happy to have all the extra power of the longtubes AND a fully-legal E55 again!!!!

-G
I just went through hell and back clearing codes (needing service) and getting readiness monitors ready. In AZ you are allowed one readiness code not ready and still pass. I have a tune from Jeremy at OE Tuning and I'm good to go as well.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 (sold) 2012 E350 4M
I had this happen as well, jerry sent me a new file and they all went away, i am on stock headers so it was easy..