W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full exhaust without ECU tune - Safe?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Full exhaust without ECU tune - Safe?

I am dropping my 2003 E55 AMG off today to have new ceramic coated longtube headers, decat and full 88mm stainless steel exhaust fitted this morning at the best exhaust guys in town.
They reckon I need to get my car in for an ECU tune as soon as the exhaust is done next week or I may damage the engine. The exhaust system is expensive, so I cant afford to do the ECU at the same time. My question is, will I run any risk of engine damage (like running lean) if I leave the ECU stock for another month until I save up enough? The exhaust shop in question does lots of AMG's and has the best name in the business. We only expect a 22kw-25kw gain on the full exhaust and this is my first mod on a completely stock car.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:01 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Sounds like you answered your own question, since you stated yoru exhaust shop is the best in the business and they say you should get a tune or damage your engine.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 09-25-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Daily 06 E55, Fun 12 GSXR750, Racing John Deere D110
They run pretty rich from the factory so I'm pretty sure you should be fine with the bolt ons. You just won't have the full advertised hp gain until you have it custom tuned.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts
2006 E55
You'll also have a CEL with the primaries deleted.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Check fuel trims with star to see what is going on.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by ArmoE55
You'll also have a CEL with the primaries deleted.
That's an easy fix with one of these sold everywhere for about $10-15. It tricks the o2 sensor by feeding it less air than having it directly placed into the pipe. I prefer this method than turning it off completely. When its turned off completely and fails you won't get a cel notifying you, at least on every other car I've owned. The MB seems to rewrite a lot of rules i've always known lol

Old 09-25-2013, 10:59 AM

03 E55 AMG
Those are welded on as standard with a new exhaust system. I had that done to my C32 AMG when the same shop did its exhaust and it worked a treat. I just spoke to my tuner and he confirms that the motor will be fine, but I won't have the full advantage of the free flow exhaust/headers until the ECU is done. Thanks - I can stop worrying now.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
If the e55 em system is similar to my 2004clk your engine control system will try to compensate for any possible lean cond (if) this causes one. Ful trims will change to compensate.... You have a range from factory....... If it has to compensate add more fuel beyond the set range you will get cel. Most likely st or lt fuel trim.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
You will be fine 100%. I did the same And drove on factory tune for 8 months. Logged fuel mixture with star and was fine. Btw don't use those o2 extenders for front 02s. You can for rears but until I got a tune I just lived with the Ctel.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Shifter
You will be fine 100%. I did the same And drove on factory tune for 8 months. Logged fuel mixture with star and was fine. Btw don't use those o2 extenders for front 02s. You can for rears but until I got a tune I just lived with the Ctel.

Why can't you use them for the o2s?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:15 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by James M
I am dropping my 2003 E55 AMG off today to have new ceramic coated longtube headers, decat and full 88mm stainless steel exhaust fitted this morning at the best exhaust guys in town.
They reckon I need to get my car in for an ECU tune as soon as the exhaust is done next week or I may damage the engine. The exhaust system is expensive, so I cant afford to do the ECU at the same time. My question is, will I run any risk of engine damage (like running lean) if I leave the ECU stock for another month until I save up enough? The exhaust shop in question does lots of AMG's and has the best name in the business. We only expect a 22kw-25kw gain on the full exhaust and this is my first mod on a completely stock car.
Hope you did a before stock dyno run and going to do an after exhaust installed dyno run so you can know exact numbers the mods have given you. not the guess of 22-25kw.... Are you in UK? Quoting kW and not hp?
Old 09-27-2013, 04:33 AM

03 E55 AMG
Nope, not bothered to do dyno run until I have done my ECU software. Pulley and meth to follow when the cash comes in. Lekker to hear from another South African - I am in Joburg, Sandton. I am not to concerned with figures as long as the car runs the way I want it to on the street. TNT are doing my pipes so you can pretty much guarantee the figure they quote. When I did my C32 the figures were spot on. As long as I can drop stock M3's, RS4's and the rest, then I am a happy camper. Nothing puts a bigger smile on my face than watching a yuppie disappear in my rear view mirror, wondering why my 10 year old Merc is so fast.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:07 PM

Nope, not bothered to do dyno run until I have done my ECU software. Pulley and meth to follow when the cash comes in. Lekker to hear from another South African - I am in Joburg, Sandton. I am not to concerned with figures as long as the car runs the way I want it to on the street. TNT are doing my pipes so you can pretty much guarantee the figure they quote. When I did my C32 the figures were spot on. As long as I can drop stock M3's, RS4's and the rest, then I am a happy camper. Nothing puts a bigger smile on my face than watching a yuppie disappear in my rear view mirror, wondering why my 10 year old Merc is so fast.
Hey James good to meet you bud. Hopefully can make it in person sometime. I am in Roodepoort. Can't wait to hear of your results mate. Good luck any idea on when she will be ready. Lol at the yuppie comment, it's to classic. Seems we have the same taste upgrading from the C32 if you don't make me asking what is TNT hitting you for the exhaust install? You can pm me the cost if ok with you. Shot
Old 09-27-2013, 07:12 PM

03 E55 AMG
Sounds like a plan. Speak nicely to Tommy and he will charge you R 14 0000.00 (cash notes only) for the full lot. I spoke to Viper exhausts and Rob Green and they are both charging in the region of R45k - R50k for the same thing? Up to you if you want to go 78mm or 88mm, but I was recommended to go for 88mm by AMG conversions, who did my last car. It takes a week to build so organize a spare car. I was actually looking for a C55 or CLK55, but this immaculate E55 came my way with low mileage and in the colour I wanted (white) and that was that - I am so glad I got it - the build quality makes my old C32 look like a Citi golf. AMG conversions does all the work I cant and they are the best in SA. They really care about their customers and I am banned from getting a pulley until I can prove I wont blow this motor with an exhaust + tune for a while (no jokes - ps. I blew 2 x motors on my C32 and put them through hell). I will let you know what it sounds like when I get it back next Thurs (can't sleep because I am so excited). I Wont be able to comment on performance until I can cough up R 12 000.00 for the damn software though.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:57 AM

Sounds like a plan. Speak nicely to Tommy and he will charge you R 14 0000.00 (cash notes only) for the full lot. I spoke to Viper exhausts and Rob Green and they are both charging in the region of R45k - R50k for the same thing? Up to you if you want to go 78mm or 88mm, but I was recommended to go for 88mm by AMG conversions, who did my last car. It takes a week to build so organize a spare car. I was actually looking for a C55 or CLK55, but this immaculate E55 came my way with low mileage and in the colour I wanted (white) and that was that - I am so glad I got it - the build quality makes my old C32 look like a Citi golf. AMG conversions does all the work I cant and they are the best in SA. They really care about their customers and I am banned from getting a pulley until I can prove I wont blow this motor with an exhaust + tune for a while (no jokes - ps. I blew 2 x motors on my C32 and put them through hell). I will let you know what it sounds like when I get it back next Thurs (can't sleep because I am so excited). I Wont be able to comment on performance until I can cough up R 12 000.00 for the damn software though.
Wow R12000 for just a tune. Where is that at? And damn mate, blown 2 C32 motors, what power where you getting out of it to have done that???? I take it the exhaust mod is the first mod u putting in? Also sounds like u just picked up your baby. Mine is new in my possession as well. As a matter of interest was going thru the threads, there was a guy in Cape Town who got a tnt exhaust done and only yielded 7kw. That's quite a ways off on the 25 you were quoted, that's what why I was asking if you doing before and after dyno runs. I think for the R200 its worth knowing exactly what you gaining and paying for?
Old 09-28-2013, 05:41 AM

03 E55 AMG
The software remap is from AMG conversions and they are the real deal. I have had remaps from other tuners on my C32 and they were junk. No point in a dyno run before and after the exhaust, because they benefits are only seen once you have remapped the ECU - this is why the Cape Town owner only got 7kw. My C32 was nothing special, but is was an 2001 with the cam issue. Unfortunately for me I did not know this at the time and I purchased another 2002 motor which had the same issue. I know of maybe 20 guys who had the same thing happen - starts off as a misfire which you cannot pinpoint after changing plugs, leads, injectors, etc. Only when you strip the motor do you find a cracked/broken piston with damage to the cylinder lining or a valve pushed through a piston head. It was very common in SA and not so much elsewhere. Having said that, it was on this C32 forum that I first got to understand the problem - C32: 'potential camshaft problems' thread.
It seems that the cam lobes were press fitted onto the camshaft and not made as one piece. Over 100 000km plus, the lobes would shift causing terminal problems. I have yet to see anyone in SA fix this and the cheapest option was to replace the entire motor. Strangely I saw most of the damage in unmodded C32's. The 2003's did not have this problem. I got 268kw on the rear wheels with a small crank pulley (170 I think?), K&N filters, full TNT exhaust and a tune and an SLK32 AMG motor which I believe had reworked heads plus a smaller S/C pulley as well.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:52 AM

Hells that's interesting, didn't know about that, then again mine was a late model '04. I must go checkout these guys amg conversions and have a chat there. Thanks for sharing and can't wait to hear and see the results of your new exhaust system. I understand what you saying about the exhaust must be complimented. With a re tune to get the most gains, however what I don't get is the guys in the States, MBH motor sports are guaranteeing 40whp with just their long tube headers and no tune! That's what I was on about the low 7kw deal. Anyway time will tell with your setup and truly am looking forward to hearing more about it.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:05 AM

03 E55 AMG
Will keep you updated. Just remember that the guys in the States may have lots of parts to play with and at good prices, but we get away with murder when it comes to exhaust emissions, decibel limits and catalytic converters. If we want to fit an exhaust that looks like a drain pipe and it shoots flames out the back, we just do it. We can also run our cars on avgas without getting in to trouble and lets not forget about the satellite road out near Harties where we can hit 320kmph if our car can do it. Just wish I could build a mad max merc with chromed, stacked superchargers sticking 2 ft out the bonnet.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by S2K750
Why can't you use them for the o2s?
The front/upstream O2s are for fuel trim monitoring. The rear/downstream O2s are for cat monitoring. You never want to do anything to prevent the front sensors from getting a true reading.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:45 AM

03 E55 AMG
Just picked my car up from TNT exhausts and it sounds great. Can't say I feel any extra power, but that will come after I upgrade my software, although the throttle is much more responsive to smaller inputs. The 88mm pipe is not as loud as I would have thought (it looks like a drain pipe) - it still has the subdued E class sound when driving around town. At the low end I can hear the supercharger building up air pressure which sounds like a water trickle in the pipe building up into a waterfall. The howling only starts mid range in the revs, screaming at the top end and it lets out a giant 'burp' of air during the gear change. It also crackles beautifully on the downshift overflow which I am sure will get louder as I 'wear' the new pipe in.
With the suspension setting on its lowest the exhaust does drag on speed bumps, but that was sorted by simply adjusting the ride height. Very chuffed with TNT's workmanship and especially the cost. They also made double sure I didn't have any rattles or vibrations, but best of all - no CEL at all and the sulphur (rotten egg) smell that my CAT's used to produce has gone! Cant wait to start saving for my software - then I can unleash an extra 50-55kw's in conjunction with my new exhaust. Until then, I am just loving the new soundtrack.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:16 AM

Just picked my car up from TNT exhausts and it sounds great. Can't say I feel any extra power, but that will come after I upgrade my software, although the throttle is much more responsive to smaller inputs. The 88mm pipe is not as loud as I would have thought (it looks like a drain pipe) - it still has the subdued E class sound when driving around town. At the low end I can hear the supercharger building up air pressure which sounds like a water trickle in the pipe building up into a waterfall. The howling only starts mid range in the revs, screaming at the top end and it lets out a giant 'burp' of air during the gear change. It also crackles beautifully on the downshift overflow which I am sure will get louder as I 'wear' the new pipe in.
With the suspension setting on its lowest the exhaust does drag on speed bumps, but that was sorted by simply adjusting the ride height. Very chuffed with TNT's workmanship and especially the cost. They also made double sure I didn't have any rattles or vibrations, but best of all - no CEL at all and the sulphur (rotten egg) smell that my CAT's used to produce has gone! Cant wait to start saving for my software - then I can unleash an extra 50-55kw's in conjunction with my new exhaust. Until then, I am just loving the new soundtrack.
Hey James, congrats man, being dying to hear of the results, as I am wanting to get my exhaust done to... Such a pity that you don't feel anything different... That truly sucks, as I was expecting a massive difference from what I being reading and hearing. Don't want to burst your bubble at all, however do you really expect 50kw-55kws with the exhaust after a tune with that? I only say, as with a tune, supercharger pulley I only got 15WHP ... never mind kw's... lol.. Anyway I hope you do get those gains! would love to hear your car in person with that exhaust!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:25 AM

03 E55 AMG
Thanks. Sorry, but both of us will have to wait for my dyno read print out once I have had my software done. I have absolute faith in my figures as they are similar to what I had in my C32 AMG and both TNT and AMG conversions are the best in the business. My C32 stock made 191kw on the rear wheels and after full exhaust, filters, tune and a smallish crank pulley made 268kw. That is a 77kw (105hp) gain and my supercharger was only boosting about 0.9 bar. I would love to send you the print out, but I gave it to the new owner when he bought it. I never had it dynoed after the 3rd motor which had worked SLK32 AMG heads and an upgraded IC pump, but that thing used to spank stock C63's regularly. This is why I never care about figures and dyno print outs - wars rage about who's dyno is correct. For me the proof is in what cars I can drop. My last street race in my C32 was against a stock M3 DCT and it was very, very close, but I narrowly beat him by a hair and then got thrashed by a very modded 135i later. I am a happy man if my E55 can beat an M3, or 135i in a straight line. I will keep you posted because I am now very interested in the results.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:35 AM

Thanks. Sorry, but both of us will have to wait for my dyno read print out once I have had my software done. I have absolute faith in my figures as they are similar to what I had in my C32 AMG and both TNT and AMG conversions are the best in the business. My C32 stock made 191kw on the rear wheels and after full exhaust, filters, tune and a smallish crank pulley made 268kw. That is a 77kw (105hp) gain and my supercharger was only boosting about 0.9 bar. I would love to send you the print out, but I gave it to the new owner when he bought it. I never had it dynoed after the 3rd motor which had worked SLK32 AMG heads and an upgraded IC pump, but that thing used to spank stock C63's regularly. This is why I never care about figures and dyno print outs - wars rage about who's dyno is correct. For me the proof is in what cars I can drop. My last street race in my C32 was against a stock M3 DCT and it was very, very close, but I narrowly beat him by a hair and then got thrashed by a very modded 135i later. I am a happy man if my E55 can beat an M3, or 135i in a straight line. I will keep you posted because I am now very interested in the results.
Too good man!! Love it. When you hoping to get the tune done ? Ps Cant believe that increase you got on the 32.. That's Amazing!!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 AM

03 E55 AMG
Maybe 2-3 months because I am now broke again after the exhaust and IC pump. I could just about afford modding my C32 but the E55 is another story - thankfully the build quality is top notch so I don't have to keep replacing irritating parts like valeo radiators, alternators, starter motors, electric window mechs and satnav LCD screens, etc - just tyres, brake pads and fuel. I was just looking at a quote I got from another reputable tuner and he guarantees only 50kw with crank pulley, decat and software. Now I am doubting my figures, but lets wait and see, because I know he is very conservative with his mods. I also spoke to a chap in Umhlanga who reckons his E55 makes 550kw rear wheels without nitrous? This is why I hate figures because everyone has their own. Either your car drops X or it doesn't - finished and klaar.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:11 AM

03 E55 AMG
Hi again. Who did your mods on your C32 and is your CLS still stock?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Full exhaust without ECU tune - Safe?