Sponsored by:

Airmatic pump install, tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Airmatic pump install, tips?

I am going to replace my Airmatic pump tonight and I wanted to know (from those that have done it) what I'm getting myself into.

couple of quick questions
1. does the bumper need to come off to access this?
2. any special procedures or resets that need to be done post install?
3. rough install time when using a lift?

Thanks in advance as always!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:15 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Well for those wondering:

1. No, the bumper does not need to come off. Just three 8mm nuts, two harness' one hose clamp and one compression fitting need to be removed.
2. Its a little tight but its pretty straightforward. helps to have a second set of hands to not lose the nuts and washers and also to hold the pump in place to thread on the nuts and keep the washers in place.
3. Took me about 45 from the time I racked it to the time I unracked it.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:55 AM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
sorry, i would have replied to this, but it looks like you got it. i recently replaced the springs in the mounts for mine as well as the filter and the line post filter. If you didnt change the filter ($26 at my local MB) with the new pump, i would recommend it. i actually noticed a slight difference in my system. just a heads up
Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Originally Posted by jnash
sorry, i would have replied to this, but it looks like you got it. i recently replaced the springs in the mounts for mine as well as the filter and the line post filter. If you didnt change the filter ($26 at my local MB) with the new pump, i would recommend it. i actually noticed a slight difference in my system. just a heads up
lol this was actually me..i was on my dads computer. oops
Old 09-26-2013, 09:59 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by FI Fan
Well for those wondering:

1. No, the bumper does not need to come off. Just three 8mm nuts, two harness' one hose clamp and one compression fitting need to be removed.
2. Its a little tight but its pretty straightforward. helps to have a second set of hands to not lose the nuts and washers and also to hold the pump in place to thread on the nuts and keep the washers in place.
3. Took me about 45 from the time I racked it to the time I unracked it.
Yes, I changed one recently as well and was an easy job. Just have to pay attention to remove the factory airline inlet plug on the new pump first.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 09-26-2013, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by jnash
What changes did you notice? I have a very minor vibration through the chassis and read it my possibly be related to the compressor springs.

What symptoms did you have and what result did you notice from the springs and the filter?

thanks.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
What changes did you notice? I have a very minor vibration through the chassis and read it my possibly be related to the compressor springs.

What symptoms did you have and what result did you notice from the springs and the filter?

thanks.
I changed the springs because i felt vibrations coming from the driver footwell when i would mess with the suspension settings or coming to a very easy/gradual stop (such as at a stop sign). The springs fixed it.

But I changed the filter just because I was fairly sure it had never been changed. the big difference i felt was a more responsive system especially when going into 4X4 mode evident with an ever so slight increase in raise speed.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Pjnash
I changed the springs because i felt vibrations coming from the driver footwell when i would mess with the suspension settings or coming to a very easy/gradual stop (such as at a stop sign). The springs fixed it.

But I changed the filter just because I was fairly sure it had never been changed. the big difference i felt was a more responsive system especially when going into 4X4 mode evident with an ever so slight increase in raise speed.
good to know, thanks.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:17 PM

2004 E55 AMG
weellll I drove the car home last night everything was fine no codes. Again in the morning no codes. Come out today for lunch and I can hear the pump whining and cycling up and down....ugh. I changed the relay to the hella 25427219 along with the pump. Am I missing something here?!?