W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do mirrors break/go bad????

Old 10-01-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Do mirrors break/go bad????

driving home yesterday with the windows down and noticed that my driver mirror has a brownish yellowish haze to it, while the passeneger side is crystal clear....do mirrors go bad on thses cars???
Attached Thumbnails Do mirrors break/go bad????-photomirror1.jpg   Do mirrors break/go bad????-photomirror.jpg  
Old 10-01-2013, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
'06 E55
You probably looked directly into it one too many times. Ooh, burrrrrn!

J/k. I do know that my passenger side mirror drives me crazy like it has a mind of its own. I know it moves while in reverse, but then it sometimes moves back to its normal position and other times it just does whatever the hell it wants. I constantly have to keep adjusting the thing, and using the memory function doesn't seem to help.

On another note, anyone using the European market mirror glass? It has the convex lens on the outer part and was wondering if it was worth swapping the stock glass out for. This car does have some terrible blind spots.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:17 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Denroll

J/k. I do know that my passenger side mirror drives me crazy like it has a mind of its own. I know it moves while in reverse, but then it sometimes moves back to its normal position and other times it just does whatever the hell it wants. I constantly have to keep adjusting the thing, and using the memory function doesn't seem to help.

On another note, anyone using the European market mirror glass? It has the convex lens on the outer part and was wondering if it was worth swapping the stock glass out for. This car does have some terrible blind spots.
haha, thanks...i also remember my mirrors moving while in reverse, but havent seen that in years

i have seen the euro mirrors. they are cool...

lets source some guys?
Old 10-01-2013, 11:36 AM

Daily 06 E55, Fun 12 GSXR750, Racing John Deere D110
Now is your opportunity to get lightweight racing ones, 1/4 ounce lighter!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Yes they do go bad, leak fluid ect. I think the heated, auto tint, drivers side replacement mirror (glass & wires) is about $275.00

If you push your mirror select switch to passenger side the mirror will tilt down in reverse.

Last edited by Yacht Master; 10-01-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
'06 E55
Yeah, I've got it set to lower to where I want it while in reverse. It's just that when I'm done, it might go back to where it was... or it will do whatever it wants.

I've seen the glass on eBay for around $40. Mirrors are super easy to take off once you know how. I'll make a quick video and post it up.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:34 PM

2004 E55
ok, thanks
Old 10-01-2013, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
Yeah, I've got it set to lower to where I want it while in reverse. It's just that when I'm done, it might go back to where it was... or it will do whatever it wants.

I've seen the glass on eBay for around $40. Mirrors are super easy to take off once you know how. I'll make a quick video and post it up.
Do it! I want convex mirrors
Old 10-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG

My passenger side does the same thing. It seems like it is getting stuck when trying to return to where it should be. Usually if it hit the memory setting it will go back to where it should be. I believe you can set it so it doesn't move when in reverse so that should fix the problem of it not returning to where it should be. I think its in the dash settings along with the lighting features and stuff like that. I love that the mirror aims down when reversing though as I use it to see where my rear wheel is by the curb. I have never rashed a wheel yet!!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Make sure you didn't move the mirror accidentally by hand. Like when you're cleaning or something. It messes up the whole operation.

Let's say everything is working fine and you move the mirror UP by hand when cleaning it. You then correct it to center through the electric control. It can't really go back to center after that because you changed the relationship of the mirror angle to the motor when you moved it by hand.

If this happened. you need to check the movement of the mirror and make sure it has equal movement up, down, L, R. Then it will be centered again. You may have to move it back by hand to find the actual center.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:21 PM

2005 E55
Is the mirror down on reverse a standard feature or an option?? Mine doesn't seem to go down on reverse, but the controls to move it around work fine..

PS sorry if thats a newb question.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Pjnash
Is the mirror down on reverse a standard feature or an option?? Mine doesn't seem to go down on reverse, but the controls to move it around work fine..

PS sorry if thats a newb question.
There's an option to turn it on in the convenience settings. I think the little switch also has to be on the mirror you want lowered.