W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M113k head gasket/long block rebuild

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
E55 and several 928s
Good to see some familiar RL names.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Subies
Originally Posted by DVC
Dang, glad to hear you are over it! That is scary stuff when they don't know and it lasts that long!

I think based upon your situation, and lack of twisty roads, you would enjoy the E55. It really does do the dual personality well. The turning is....good enough. It's very easy to work on and I recommend getting a STAR diagnostic through Shardul. Opens up all kinds of doors.

I personally like the Airmatic after living with coilovers on my DD for 10 years. Arnott is excellent to work with and offers a lifetime warranty. A lot of the cars you'll test drive will have a dead I/C pump. As long as you know that going in!

It was extremely scary. And once again, very glad its over.

I LOVE the color your car is. Techtite Grey?
I plan on upgrading the heat exchanger and I/C pump immediately. My jaw dropped when Learned it was plugged in to the engines coolant system. I will separate it the instant I get it. I will probably put a mist or spray system over the heat exchanger connected to a Hobbs switch that I already have. I will fabricate my own reservior to install in the engine bay. No trunk shenanigans for me.

I COMPLETELY agree with keeping the Air shocks controlled my the computer. By FAR what I want to do. I'm older and have ridden in too many stiff cars. This is not what I want with this car. I've ridden in other Mercedes with the active suspension and am absolutely amazed and happy with that system.

I will have many question for you later on the STAR system and other options later.

Thank you very much for you help so far, and I look forward to talking to you and everyone here as a fellow E55 owner in the near future.

I like the tektite gray so much though, I might wait around a while until I find one.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Subies
Originally Posted by BC928
Good to see some familiar RL names.
Hey nice. I guess this is a logical choice for us German Car lovers.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
E55 and several 928s
The Air suspension is love/hate. I feel it reacts very slowly to road imperfections, slower than a gas/oil shock and coil would. Therefore the tires spend less time on the pavement. I will do some suspension maintenance first and then see.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:47 AM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 95ONE
I plan on upgrading the heat exchanger and I/C pump immediately. My jaw dropped when Learned it was plugged in to the engines coolant system. I will separate it the instant I get it. I will probably put a mist or spray system over the heat exchanger connected to a Hobbs switch that I already have. I will fabricate my own reservior to install in the engine bay. No trunk shenanigans for me.
Really looking forward to seeing what you do with it! This one is actually Flint Grey...not quite as dark as Techtite...which I also love.

I think the only sort of frustrating things about modding this car, is the "mystery" surrounding the ECU/TCU and the lack of technical sharing within the community. Never really experienced these aspects with any of my other cars. Now that's not to say that there aren't some extremely helpful people here...because there are!

I guess if you don't go "too" far then these are not an issue
Old 10-18-2014, 08:55 AM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BC928
The Air suspension is love/hate. I feel it reacts very slowly to road imperfections, slower than a gas/oil shock and coil would. Therefore the tires spend less time on the pavement. I will do some suspension maintenance first and then see.
That's an interesting observation. I changed my fronts out to Arnotts at around 70K. I can't say I notice a slow reaction, but it does have a different feel than conventional coils. But I also don't drive it near the limit in corners. I really appreciate the ride quality, ability to adjust the firmness, and being able to raise the car for service.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:27 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
Updated engine rebuilt source

I know this is an old thread, but it’s incredibly useful.

Add DS to this there is a new YouTube video series posted on E55 M113k rebuild. Check out his videos under his handle: SK8215

Good stuff.