Sponsored by:

Purchase from CarMax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW
Purchase from CarMax?

Hi, looking for a w211 E63 and car max seems to have a few.

Anyone have experience purchasing from them? Anyone have experience with MaxCare and dealer repairs?
Old 10-13-2013, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Carmax prices average $3-$6k higher than retail . On a good note, their Maxcare warranty seems to be really good, and covers a lot of items that other warranties do not.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:10 PM

VW
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Carmax prices average $3-$6k higher than retail . On a good note, their Maxcare warranty seems to be really good, and covers a lot of items that other warranties do not.

As a data point, a local dealer had a 2007 lacking parktronic they quoted me $36k CPOed. This 2009 is going $40k but need to transfer it from LA for $1k.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
clk63, cls55, ml63, (w210) E55
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
3 of my 5 AMG's have come from CARMAX. I buy from them because of the Maxcare. Go try to buy a warranty for a 65 series AMG. Even a Mercedes dealer will not sell a warranty on that type of Mercedes. Carmax will.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:02 PM

C55 / S550 / Lexus IS300 (sold) / C63 (Sold) / SL500 (Sold) / Lambo Gallardo (RIP)
No good

I had a few family members buy there. They get cars from either trade in's or auctions and they supposedlt "certify" them and check for damage yet one car my aunt bought they sold it to her with 44,000 miles and after a week we noticed a big sticker in the door/pillar area that said that the speedometer was switched at 85,000 miles so we were pissed took it back and eventually got her money back. then my cousin bought a SLK from there that they said had been checked or "certified" for everything which they claim includes damage but when he brought it to show us i could instantly tell the fender was repainted and come to find out it was even an aftermarket fender. I always warn people about carmax. Honestly you might as well chance it going to a car auction. I used to work for a few mercedes dealership and usually about 80% of all our non-mercedes cars we would get them at auctions and just clean them up and resell them.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Arab_Homie
Honestly you might as well chance it going to a car auction. I used to work for a few mercedes dealership and usually about 80% of all our non-mercedes cars we would get them at auctions and just clean them up and resell them.
I work in the car business and go every week to the auction. I believe you are forgeting something. If the the car is a piece of sh*t from the auction....who pays for the repairs during make ready and up to 30 days after the sale? The dealership. We rather take trade-ins then auction.It goes to auction because it CAN'T sell. 18yrs and counting in the car business, brother.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:00 AM

C55 / S550 / Lexus IS300 (sold) / C63 (Sold) / SL500 (Sold) / Lambo Gallardo (RIP)
Talking

Originally Posted by EREBUS
I work in the car business and go every week to the auction. I believe you are forgeting something. If the the car is a piece of sh*t from the auction....who pays for the repairs during make ready and up to 30 days after the sale? The dealership. We rather take trade-ins then auction.It goes to auction because it CAN'T sell. 18yrs and counting in the car business, brother.

I love when people do the "how many years i have" to make it seem that they are 100% right and therefore make no mistakes or are right just because of their "years". Its like my crazy aunt when she starts by saying "well i'm a christian, so ...." meaning something negative is gonna come out her mouth next, but it's ok and she is right because she mentioned how much of a christian she is.

But lets just assume this guy above is telling the truth and is an honest buyer and fixes these cars up, my point is that ALL of the Benz dealerships i worked at simply got the cars, cleaned them up and sold them with no repairs minus a burnt light and SOMETIMES an oil change depending on when it was last done on the car. And Carmax does get some cars from auctions. And they themselves will auction off cars too high mileage if its over 50,000 miles i believe. I was simply giving my family experience and saying it is pointless to buy from them (in my opinion) because in the end they just wanna push out their cars without having to do too much to it and charge u alot more then what the car is worth just because it has their name on it (and why do they put that stupid sticker on the back without asking first, i will never know)

At least at an auction you can get it alot cheaper so more money leftover if it does need any repairs. But you know, i'm only been in that business 6+ years so i couldnt possibly have more knowledge or any comparable to someone with 18 years experience right?
Old 10-14-2013, 01:04 AM

The only cars we really ever put money into was like Ferrari's and Lambo's and Bentleys that were worth being thorough with and alot more wiggle room with pricing and what we would make off it.

We usually didnt make that much off the used cars, but they rolled off the lot faster and made our number look good. Plus people usually think buying a used car from a Mercedes dealer is so much better than another used car dealer (not really true)
Old 10-14-2013, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63S AMG, 2003 SLK 230 Sport, 2004 SL 600, 2006 SLK 55 AMG, 1998 E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by thelearner
Hi, looking for a w211 E63 and car max seems to have a few.

Anyone have experience purchasing from them? Anyone have experience with MaxCare and dealer repairs?
My E55 is from CarMax. Yes. Get the warranty. All day long. Pay no attention to the naysayers. Any used MB I will only get from CarMax, especially V12s.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:32 AM

Its like my crazy aunt when she starts by saying "well i'm a christian, so ...." meaning something negative is gonna come out her mouth next, but it's ok and she is right because she mentioned how much of a christian she is.
Uh, well said? lol. I would say it's past your bedtime, homie.....but Monday is a holiday.

because in the end they just wanna push out their cars without having to do too much to it and charge u alot more then what the car is worth just because it has their name on it
It's called Capitalism, homie.

At least at an auction you can get it alot cheaper so more money leftover if it does need any repairs.
Apparently, you have never been to a auto auction. Demand drives prices, homie. How many cars pushed through the auction have unregistered damage and repairs? Why in the hell is at the auction? We, in some cases, make more money taking the cars to the auction than selling in inventory......

But you know, i'm only been in that business 6+ years so i couldnt possibly have more knowledge or any comparable to someone with 18 years experience right?
Holy Hell......this is the first and only thing you posted on this forum that makes sense.

We usually didnt make that much off the used cars, but they rolled off the lot faster and made our number look good.
Yup, it's confirmed. You don't have a damn clue what you are talking about.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by EREBUS
Uh, well said? lol. I would say it's past your bedtime, homie.....but Monday is a holiday.

It's called Capitalism, homie.

Apparently, you have never been to a auto auction. Demand drives prices, homie. How many cars pushed through the auction have unregistered damage and repairs? Why in the hell is at the auction? We, in some cases, make more money taking the cars to the auction than selling in inventory......

Holy Hell......this is the first and only thing you posted on this forum that makes sense.

Yup, it's confirmed. You don't have a damn clue what you are talking about.
Past my bedtime? wow that burn is almost as old as you claim to be in your car business. again dude, u act like being old is some kind of blessing. and if you thinking you know all gets you through the day, more power to you. good luck with that. ANYWAYS THELEARNER, sorry to get off topic with the thread. You know how old senile people get sometimes. Getting back on subject, any AMG you get should be built solid. I have had many AMG's through the last 6 years and never had any problems not once with any of them. And only ever saw them in the shop for maintenance or people overtuning n blowin stuff out. Good luck with your buy and hope its everything you hoped it was Post some pix of the car once you get it so we could check it out. Any ideas on the mods ur gonna do to it?
Old 10-14-2013, 10:05 AM

2004 E55
Here's my experience with Carmax,

Just purchased a CLS55 from them with a P030 package plus every other option except for distronic (black, 46,000). Apparently they didn't realize that this car had the performance pack as it was priced similarly to the regular ones they had on inventory. The biggest reason why I bought it from them was just like the others here; MaxCare (5 years/100,000 miles) for a very reasonable $2500. Car was purchased 2 weeks ago and so far they have replaced the brakes ($2500 job), parking sensors, blown center speaker, door lock mechanism, valve cover and rear main seals as well as change the pulleys and tensioners. All this work can easily eclipse $4,000 from Mercedes, however all of it including the loaner was FREE from Carmax.

The problem is that they don't allow you to do a PPi but they do give you a 5 day no bull**** return policy which I used get the car checked out at Mercedes.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by boostiality
Here's my experience with Carmax,

Just purchased a CLS55 from them with a P030 package plus every other option except for distronic (black, 46,000). Apparently they didn't realize that this car had the performance pack as it was priced similarly to the regular ones they had on inventory. The biggest reason why I bought it from them was just like the others here; MaxCare (5 years/100,000 miles) for a very reasonable $2500. Car was purchased 2 weeks ago and so far they have replaced the brakes ($2500 job), parking sensors, blown center speaker, door lock mechanism, valve cover and rear main seals as well as change the pulleys and tensioners. All this work can easily eclipse $4,000 from Mercedes, however all of it including the loaner was FREE from Carmax.

The problem is that they don't allow you to do a PPi but they do give you a 5 day no bull**** return policy which I used get the car checked out at Mercedes.

Had a similar experience with my C5 vette, I think they put in about 3k in parts and labor in the first month alone. No question asked and a loaner.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Good warranty, have worked with them for multiple repairs for our customers without issue's. Its better to buy an older amg with warranty and use it as much as possible to get the car up to par, even if it has to be at a repair center for awhile.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'72 Fleedwoot
Carmax is a good deal. I bought my AMG there for under market price and with the warranty. The MB dealer loved the warranty and fixed all sorts of junk without even asking me. I would drop it off for service and they would return it with all kinds of junk replaced on warranty. My future purchases will likely be from CM as well.

Carmax moves thousands of cars a month - they price them to move in 30 days max. They may drop a price after a couple weeks but after 30 days they go to auction. So, you can imagine their price is a bit above auction but not a huge amount.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:55 AM

1981 500SE AMG
There is a E55 at Carmax now, its just not the color or year I want.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by RubberDucky
There is a E55 at Carmax now, its just not the color or year I want.
wow that's a pretty rare color, and an '04 - can you still get the warranty on that year from CarMax?

not fully loaded, but it looks pretty clean and only 58K miles!
Old 10-19-2013, 05:10 PM

05 e55 amg
Car max is a rip off they have there " no haggle price " you can't bargain at all.there cars more expensive only good thing about them is there warranty. Which you still have to pay 3,000 4,000 for. I rather buy e55 from Individual owner with maintenance records and buy aftermarket warranty. I haven't got my warranty but my car came with 3 inch tick worth of records. And I know a good Indy shop and I'm mechanically inclined so I won't get a warranty.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG, 2003 SLK 230 Sport, 2004 SL 600, 2006 SLK 55 AMG, 1998 E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by Toadster
wow that's a pretty rare color, and an '04 - can you still get the warranty on that year from CarMax?

Sure you can. CarMax will warranty *any* of their cars with their MaxCare, which is what I like a lot.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sufyaanahmed
Car max is a rip off they have there " no haggle price " you can't bargain at all.there cars more expensive only good thing about them is there warranty. Which you still have to pay 3,000 4,000 for. I rather buy e55 from Individual owner with maintenance records and buy aftermarket warranty. I haven't got my warranty but my car came with 3 inch tick worth of records. And I know a good Indy shop and I'm mechanically inclined so I won't get a warranty.
I'm not a gambling man. I'd rather pay the 3-4K up front than 15K down the road, which happened on my C32. Also I don't trust an indy shop to work repairs on an AMG, but that's me.

To each his own, I suppose.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:27 PM

1981 500SE AMG
Originally Posted by Toadster

Color is okay, but I can't do the interior.