Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAP sensor problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
Looks right. I see that there is also a Bosch version available. Wonder if it is possible that this could account for any differences.

Clearly looks like we would not run out of range on the stock map sensor. If there is a limitation, it appears to be on the ECU side then. Wonder if tuners can or have disabled the safety cutoff?

Originally Posted by SavMan
Where do i get this simiple?

I have MB STAR which includes WIS & EPC you can look up the exact part number for the MAP sensor.

I have a map sensor from MB its above it clearly states the part number of MB and the actual manufacturer Fuji Electric. The specifiication of the MAP sensor is public information on the website but here it is again.

http://www.fujielectric.com/products...resensors.html

and here is they part number again Part EP9631-R3A it has an operating pressure of 20 - 250 KPa abs, 250 KPa is 2.5 BAR absolute.

You are confusing the physical limits of the sensor vs the data held in the tables in the control units, the MAP sensor is clearly a 2.5 BAR absolute sensor.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:51 AM

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
clk63, cls55, ml63, (w210) E55
Originally Posted by SavMan
Where do i get this simiple?

I have MB STAR which includes WIS & EPC you can look up the exact part number for the MAP sensor.

I have a map sensor from MB its above it clearly states the part number of MB and the actual manufacturer Fuji Electric. The specifiication of the MAP sensor is public information on the website but here it is again.

http://www.fujielectric.com/products...resensors.html

and here is they part number again Part EP9631-R3A it has an operating pressure of 20 - 250 KPa abs, 250 KPa is 2.5 BAR absolute.

You are confusing the physical limits of the sensor vs the data held in the tables in the control units, the MAP sensor is clearly a 2.5 BAR absolute sensor.
Ok, I tell you what. I'll cut the bullsh*t if you will. Not my friends car, but mine is the issue. I cracked a piston before my Texas Mile race and went all out the second time. This, is my current mod list.....

Shardul/Brooke Darton Sleeved bored to 5.7L engine
Shardul/Brooke Ported/Polished Heads
Shardul/Brooke 180 thermo
Shardul/Brooke Belt wrap
Shardul/Brooke engine pulley kit
Shardul/Brooke 3000 Stall converter
Eurocharged 185 Crank pulley
Eurocharged Supercharger pulley
Eurocharged Heat Exchanger
Eurocharged Dyno Tune
Eurocharged 82mm T/B bored to 85mm
Eurocharged 550 Injectors
Steigmeier performance ported blower and snout
Kleemann Camshafts
Kleemann Headers
Complete Cat removal
Exhaust cut out
Custom intake
FTB Split cooler tank
Johnson upgrade I/C pump
10an complete intercooler lines
Custom secondary heat exchanger
Devils Own Meth Injection
10mm Magnacore custom race wires
NGK colder spark plugs

You seem to have most of my mods. So, knowing that....your car does not go to failsafe at high boost? I'm using Jerry also, so I'm curious on your reply....

Last edited by EREBUS; 11-10-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:19 AM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
I'm not discounting that you are not well modded and that you are experiencing issues at over 17psi. I am discounting your insight as to the size of the MAP sensor.

We both know and agree that our cars do not use a MAF and use speed density. That means the map has to be able to adjust not just for boost, but for changes in air pressure from temperature, elevation and speed. I've never seen a 1 bar map on anything that wasn't naturally aspirated. If it was a 1.1 bar sensor, it would be maxed out WELL BEFORE 17 psi of added boost.

As for my earlier question of a sensor upgrade, I'm not fully convinced it can't be done. Are we saying in Euroflash that the map scaling is an uneditable table(s)? Surely there is a 0-5v 3-4 bar map sensor that's a direct swap to allow such a thing to happen. This isn't the first platform that's had to do such a thing.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by WANTED!!
I'm not discounting that you are not well modded and that you are experiencing issues at over 17psi. I am discounting your insight as to the size of the MAP sensor.
My insight? Are you phucking serious? Call a God damn tuner, please. Not rocket science. Continual boosting over 16lbs is make the MAP sensor go to failsafe. Not a few weak spikes.....HEAVY BOOSTING. I spent an entire day watching Jerry @Eurocharged try to tune around it. If you don't know, Jerry is the best at tuning a Mercedes to date. After better flowing heads/camshaft and a larger engine it is somehow triggering my MAP sensor to limp mode on a regular basis. I'm boosting to 18+lbs on every run.

We both know and agree that our cars do not use a MAF and use speed density. That means the map has to be able to adjust not just for boost, but for changes in air pressure from temperature, elevation and speed. I've never seen a 1 bar map on anything that wasn't naturally aspirated. If it was a 1.1 bar sensor, it would be maxed out WELL BEFORE 17 psi of added boost.
No sh*t. That's my point. After spending $18,000 for a short block and heads + rebuild, I'm quite aware of my problem. I have 2 Mercedes master techs, Ultimate Performance and Jerry working on the problem. This problem cost me the record for the mile a few weeks ago.....

As for my earlier question of a sensor upgrade, I'm not fully convinced it can't be done. Are we saying in Euroflash that the map scaling is an uneditable table(s)? Surely there is a 0-5v 3-4 bar map sensor that's a direct swap to allow such a thing to happen. This isn't the first platform that's had to do such a thing.
Look, I'm asking members of this forum who are heavy boosting to give me insight. That's all. I don't give a sh*t about opinions....just answers. No answer? Don't post. Someone pass out cookies and milk, please. Short bus just unloaded.

Nothing to watch here, folks. Carry on please. Coming up, how to install racing decals on next post
Old 11-11-2013, 08:47 AM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
You know what? You're a great American. We look forward to your informative racing decal post.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:24 AM

great American
Speaking of great Americans, thank you Veterans for your duty and sacrifice. It shouldn't be just this day we should thank you.....
Old 11-11-2013, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
Got a free bagel this morning ;-)

So, whose pee went farther?
Old 11-11-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Denroll
Got a free bagel this morning ;-)

So, whose pee went farther?
First Off, thank you for your service.

Second Off, his. My car is still broke. lol
Old 11-11-2013, 07:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
Have you check German forums for the answer to this. It's discussed there in detail
Old 11-11-2013, 07:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005- E55, 2007 GL450, 94 B3000
1) Sensors do not go in to limp mode.

2) Sensors fail, or they work.

3) Control units go in to limp mode.

4) The MAP sensor is a 2.5 Bar absolute pressure sensor.

5) ME, ETC, ESP have control in throttle application and delivery of signals.

6) 1-5 are the cold hard facts.

7) Does this issue occur at the same time every time?

8) Are you seeing any abnormal signal inputs to any of the prior listed control units at the time of occurrence?

9) Have you set up the flght recorder with the SDS to catch a snapshot of all input, and out put data to help trace the problem?

10) I am trying to help you and your team with some fresh perspective.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by 211.070
1) Sensors do not go in to limp mode.
I agree. Please refer to my original post where I stated it triggered it....

2) Sensors fail, or they work.
True. Unless, of course, the sensor transmits signal based on the position of a moving part that are preset and limited to by design?

3) Control units go in to limp mode.
Agreed. Please refer to response #1

4) The MAP sensor is a 2.5 Bar absolute pressure sensor.
I quit

5) ME, ETC, ESP have control in throttle application and delivery of signals.
Yup. Interpreted by the ECU and TCU. Got it

6) 1-5 are the cold hard facts.
Kinda. I would say since all the female seahorse offers to parenting is the impregnation of the male seahorse by depositing her eggs in his womb, allowing the male to fertilize and carry the young until birth more of a cold hard fact that female seahorses are nothing more than baby mamas and not good role model parents?

7) Does this issue occur at the same time every time?
Yes, when boosting 16+lbs for more than @4 seconds

8) Are you seeing any abnormal signal inputs to any of the prior listed control units at the time of occurrence?
No. Once limp mode is activated, all perimeters adjust for failsafe

9) Have you set up the flght recorder with the SDS to catch a snapshot of all input, and out put data to help trace the problem?
Yes. Stars and data logging show MAP sensor code and timing and fuel reduction

10) I am trying to help you and your team with some fresh perspective.
Thank you
Old 11-12-2013, 06:13 AM

What code are you getting for the MAP sensor? Please supply the MB code, if possible.

Is the MAP sensor in the factory position? What rate of methanol injection are you at with 16+psi of boost? What is the position of your injector in relation to the MAP sensor. Has the wiring harness been pinned out?

Last edited by 211.070; 11-12-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:06 PM

What code are you getting for the MAP sensor? Please supply the MB code, if possible.
I'll post it when I get back into town Thursday

Is the MAP sensor in the factory position?
yes

What rate of methanol injection are you at with 16+psi of boost?
I'm not running any meth until I fix the problem

Has the wiring harness been pinned out?
to which wiring harness are you addressing?

Old 12-01-2013, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Anyone find a solution to this problem of rough idle / P0106 with bigger TB, that is plaguing a good number of us?
Old 03-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
I feel like this is a huge roadblock to MB performance if this is true. Let's try to figure it out. I looked at one of my logs on my dashdaq from about a week ago. My car didn't go into fail safe mode on the 1/4 mile pass but was doing other funny things. Anyways lets focus on the boost issue. So our MAP sensors are 2.5 bar absolute (I checked and my MAP sensor is the same as listed in this thread). ~ 1 bar atmospheric pressure (~14.5 psi) removed that leaves us with 1.5 bar = ~21.75psi. If you guys are experiencing limp mode with only 18 PSI of boost there is something inherently different with your setups and mine. Although I have alot of driveability issues and not making optimal power with my tune, I was able to successfully make it down the track. Now for the good part. Guess how much absolute pressure I'm seeing? 34.7psi absolute pressure at the top of the track That's about 20.2psi read through the OBD2 port (are you guys seeing higher than 18psi throught OBD2 in your runs when it goes into limp mode?). I'm not running the stock blower but boost is boost. To me that means it lies in the tune. Odd thing is most people are using the same tuner It's been over a year now that I've tried to get my car tuned (not by the same tuner) and it's VERY frustrating. I converted to a 55k ECU and everything. Sometimes I wish I never changed from my old setup. Has anyone tried standalone?

Edit: Added log for people to see. Notice where the boost is
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Doc1.pdf (92.7 KB, 227 views)

Last edited by blackbenzz; 03-09-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:36 PM

blackbenzz, I am with you. This has to be a tuning issue. There must be a hidden failsafe that has not been found. The sensor itself can measure the actual pressure. It must be in the scaling of the output of the sensor that is interpreted by the ecm.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:45 PM

blackbenzz, I am with you. This has to be a tuning issue. There must be a hidden failsafe that has not been found. The sensor itself can measure the actual pressure. It must be in the scaling of the output of the sensor that is interpreted by the ecm.
I'm realizing after all of my fury of the perimeters of the map sensor.....it was a tune issue all along. Funny though, a map clamp fixed my problem with a **** tune. BIP Tuning seems to be working harder on the issue than other tuners. Quit drinking the cool aid and give them a shot.

Last edited by EREBUS; 03-09-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by EREBUS
I'm realizing after all of my fury of the perimeters of the map sensor.....it was a tune issue all along. Funny though, a map clamp fixed my problem with a **** tune. BIP Tuning seems to be working harder on the issue than other tuners. Quit drinking the cool aid and give them a shot.

There is a very simple, yet complex formula when it comes to interface tuning. When you are dealing with such a small market as we have, and the resources are minimal you can expext set backs. Until one of our tuners puts forth the effort to tune the higher spectrum(and the issues that you only see here) with our systems. You will never get a true understanding of the abilities of the programming.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
"I spent an entire day watching Jerry @Eurocharged try to tune around it. If you don't know, Jerry is the best at tuning a Mercedes to date."

"it was a tune issue all along. Funny though, a map clamp fixed my problem with a **** tune. BIP Tuning seems to be working harder on the issue than other tuners. Quit drinking the cool aid and give them a shot."

You're all over the place. I like that. Your engine deserves a turbo.... or two.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by kustom2k1
"I spent an entire day watching Jerry @Eurocharged try to tune around it. If you don't know, Jerry is the best at tuning a Mercedes to date."

"it was a tune issue all along. Funny though, a map clamp fixed my problem with a **** tune. BIP Tuning seems to be working harder on the issue than other tuners. Quit drinking the cool aid and give them a shot."

You're all over the place. I like that. Your engine deserves a turbo.... or two.
^^^lol. I know. I just realized the cool aid I been drinking tastes like sh*t. My car has become my mistress. I'm knees deep and probably need to ask her to marry me.

Last edited by EREBUS; 03-09-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Factory is 1.1 bar. Are you saying otherwise?
Where are you guys getting this? How about someone talk to Renntech or a master Mercedes tech that researched it. Oh, wait....I did.
The math is not in question, professor. It is your ability understand we have a 1.1 bar Map sensor. lol

Apparently, you have not. Call Renntech. Call Eurocharged. Hell, just drive a m113k that is producing more than 16+ lbs of boost and get back with me.
I started quoting and then gave up. The 1.1bar you reference is GAGE pressure, not ABSOLUTE pressure. The sensor is a 2.5bar ABSOLUTE sensor, which should be capable of reading 1.5bar GAGE, since the first 1.0bar is atmospheric. Go call Renntech, Eurocharged, BIP... any tuner you want and ask them the difference between gage and absolute, almighty one.

Additionally, there is a 3.0bar ABSOLUTE sensor that came in some of the diesel MB cars. This may be an option, as long as the tune is adjusted to consider the new scale and loss of resolution.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by rockthemullet
I started quoting and then gave up. The 1.1bar you reference is GAGE pressure, not ABSOLUTE pressure. The sensor is a 2.5bar ABSOLUTE sensor, which should be capable of reading 1.5bar GAGE, since the first 1.0bar is atmospheric. Go call Renntech, Eurocharged, BIP... any tuner you want and ask them the difference between gage and absolute, almighty one.

Additionally, there is a 3.0bar ABSOLUTE sensor that came in some of the diesel MB cars. This may be an option, as long as the tune is adjusted to consider the new scale and loss of resolution.
sh*t son, kinda late to the party? I think we are past that already, joe dirt.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:41 PM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
sh*t son, kinda late to the party? I think we are past that already, joe dirt.
You still never corrected yourself, only stated it was a tune issue.

The current 2.5bar absolute map sensor is 0051537228. This same sensor is used on the SLR at 22psi (1.5bar gage) but it is rescaled in the SLR computer.

The 3.0bar absolute map sensor is 0061539928, used on the w211 diesel. This may be an option, if a tuner is willing to tackle the full fuel table recalculating it would require.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by rockthemullet
You still never corrected yourself, only stated it was a tune issue.

The current 2.5bar absolute map sensor is 0051537228. This same sensor is used on the SLR at 22psi (1.5bar gage) but it is rescaled in the SLR computer.

The 3.0bar absolute map sensor is 0061539928, used on the w211 diesel. This may be an option, if a tuner is willing to tackle the full fuel table recalculating it would require.
Renntech said anything over 1.1 bar will cause problems with our map sensor. (My tech called them looking for answers to my issue. Apparently, Renntech helps multiple Mercedes dealerships with issues not even related to Renntech products) They also stated our map sensor is not designed for higher boost application. Since some have issues while others don't......I guess it is open for speculation. A map clamp installed to avoid @ 2-3 psi overboost is safe. Anymore boost will require a different map sensor.

Besides, who are you for me to phucking correct myself too?
Old 03-10-2014, 03:27 PM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Renntech said anything over 1.1 bar will cause problems with our map sensor. (My tech called them looking for answers to my issue. Apparently, Renntech helps multiple Mercedes dealerships with issues not even related to Renntech products) They also stated our map sensor is not designed for higher boost application. Since some have issues while others don't......I guess it is open for speculation. A map clamp installed to avoid @ 2-3 psi overboost is safe. Anymore boost will require a different map sensor.

Besides, who are you for me to phucking correct myself too?
I'm sure when Renntech stated this, they were referring to 1.1bar GAGE...

A map clamp is only as safe as your most accurate alternative failsafe, I certainly wouldn't be relying on it.

Just your average, lowly powertrain engineer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MAP sensor problems?