SBC recall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 w211 E55
SBC recall

I stopped by the dealer today to let them know my car is throwing the code for a faulty SBC unit. They said I had until Jan 30th 2014 to replace it so I'm just in time. I figured I make a thread so some of you guys go get these things changed cause after that date they said they won't replace it for free.

I made an appointment next week cause they had a loaner available. If your car doesn't throw the code they will not replace it for you just an FYI.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
The replacement is covered for ten years of vehicle age. Still wise to remind members that this is covered by the dealer and to not pay out of pocket at another shop if the unit becomes faulty.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brabus K8 E55 05
What kind of code/message should show up?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 w211 E55
Yeah 2003-2004 cars like mine are 10 years old lol

My car has the "Brake visit workshop message". I changed all my brake sensors and it was still there. I had it on the diagnostic and it shows the SBC code
Old 11-18-2013, 08:27 PM

2004 E55, 2003 IS300
The coverage Must be checked. The extended
Coverage usually always covers all parts/ faults of the SBC assembly. CPO usually only covers the hydronic assembly... Not the pressure reservoir (the baseball sized bulb on the lower backside of the pump assembly). This is the only part of the SBC unit that is available separately. If the hydronic pump, electronics, internal valves, etc are faulty, you get a whole new unit. If just the pressure reservoir is faulty, this can be replaced separately. The kicker is that the pressure reservoir by itself is around $800 and the entire SBC assembly is around $1200. Might as well replace the whole thing and be sure such an important part is operating at 100%. They are different codes (I don't know the numbers off the top of my head) but one is "hydronic unit service time exceeded" (the pump is having to run longer/ worn out to produce the correct pressure) or "pressure reservoir faulty" (the internal diaphragm has ruptured and the reservoir is not maintaining the pressure that the pump is producing). I have also occasionally seen "hydronic valve faulty"... This one is much more uncommon though.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:36 PM

2004 E55, 2003 IS300
Originally Posted by E55AMGGG04
Yeah 2003-2004 cars like mine are 10 years old lol My car has the "Brake visit workshop message". I changed all my brake sensors and it was still there. I had it on the diagnostic and it shows the SBC code

SBC recall-image-1627558902.jpg

This is the message you would see when your brake pad sensors are faulty (time for new brake pads). "Brake visit workshop" is a "SBC fault issue
Old 11-18-2013, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 w211 E55
Originally Posted by AMG55TECH
Attachment 271923

This is the message you would see when your brake pad sensors are faulty (time for new brake pads). "Brake visit workshop" is a "SBC fault issue
Yeah I changed all 4 sensors and still had the message. I had the car hooked to a diagnostic and the mechanic told me I need to go change my SBC pump cause a fault code was thrown. I'm assuming this brake message has something to do with the SBC since all pads are changed with new sensors.

Trending Topics

Old 11-18-2013, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 w211 E55
The coverage Must be checked. The extended
Coverage usually always covers all parts/ faults of the SBC assembly. CPO usually only covers the hydronic assembly... Not the pressure reservoir (the baseball sized bulb on the lower backside of the pump assembly). This is the only part of the SBC unit that is available separately. If the hydronic pump, electronics, internal valves, etc are faulty, you get a whole new unit. If just the pressure reservoir is faulty, this can be replaced separately. The kicker is that the pressure reservoir by itself is around $800 and the entire SBC assembly is around $1200. Might as well replace the whole thing and be sure such an important part is operating at 100%. They are different codes (I don't know the numbers off the top of my head) but one is "hydronic unit service time exceeded" (the pump is having to run longer/ worn out to produce the correct pressure) or "pressure reservoir faulty" (the internal diaphragm has ruptured and the reservoir is not maintaining the pressure that the pump is producing). I have also occasionally seen "hydronic valve faulty"... This one is much more uncommon though.
I'm going to see 1 week from today after they look at it themselves and see exactly what they're going to do.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:00 PM

2005 e55
Just had it done last week. What they do is let STAR tell them what it needs. Mine only needed SBC control unit reprogram. I already knew what it was as I have Star.

So depends on the code. They told me they would rather replace the unit cause it gets them more hours anyway. They have to go through what test steps STAR tells them to do. If the control unit needs to be replaced they will replace it..
Old 11-18-2013, 10:21 PM

2004 E55, 2003 IS300
Originally Posted by groove66
Just had it done last week. What they do is let STAR tell them what it needs. Mine only needed SBC control unit reprogram. I already knew what it was as I have Star. So depends on the code. They told me they would rather replace the unit cause it gets them more hours anyway. They have to go through what test steps STAR tells them to do. If the control unit needs to be replaced they will replace it..
Yes it does get the tech/ dealer more hours to replace the entire SBC unit. But I feel it would give a customer greater piece of mind replacing the whole unit rather than just the reservoir. Cost of parts is a few hundred more and labor is a few hours extra, but personally, if my pressure reservoir needed to be changed, I would change the entire pump assembly. This is coming from an E55 owner and a MB tech of 8 years. Personally, it's a disgrace that anyone would ever tell you "yeah, we could just replace the pressure reservoir, but we'd rather sell you the whole thing because we make more hours that way". That gives the good Techs like myself a bad name. Who really tries to look out for the customer's best interest.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:46 PM

2005 e55
Yes it does get the tech/ dealer more hours to replace the entire SBC unit. But I feel it would give a customer greater piece of mind replacing the whole unit rather than just the reservoir. Cost of parts is a few hundred more and labor is a few hours extra, but personally, if my pressure reservoir needed to be changed, I would change the entire pump assembly. This is coming from an E55 owner and a MB tech of 8 years. Personally, it's a disgrace that anyone would ever tell you "yeah, we could just replace the pressure reservoir, but we'd rather sell you the whole thing because we make more hours that way". That gives the good Techs like myself a bad name. Who really tries to look out for the customer's best interest.

Maybe you misunderstood what i said. I was implying that the SA said he would rather replace the whole SBC unit then just a reprogram as it would net them more hours since it is on the house anyways.. That's why they did not replace my SBC pump just reprogrammed it. Never was talking about reservoir.

Is it not MB procedure to hook up STAR and let the test steps tell you what is needed for the car.. He would of loved to put a pump in if it was needed and not reprogram is what he was telling me. Sounds pretty normal to me.

I am a tech also but work out of an independent shop so I am well versed what needs to happen.

Last edited by groove66; 11-18-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:47 AM

2004 E55, 2003 IS300
Indeed you are supposed to hook up STAR before anything else and see what codes you have. I suppose the little rant I went on pertains more to customer pay situations.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:49 AM

2004 E55, 2003 IS300
Whenever I have had any "customer pay" SBC pressure reservoirs fail, I give the customer the option of just the reservoir or the entire unit.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Need more techs like you vs replacing a la carte items.