Sponsored by:

New BMW 5 Series Impressions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 M6, '05 Lambo Gallardo
New BMW 5 Series Impressions...

Just returned fron the S. Florida Auto Show tonight. I am pulling the deposit on the '05 M5 that I had placed. I was so disappointed with the interior and build quality of the new 5 series. I have decided instead to replace my basically stripped '04 E55 with a new one ordered to my specs. I am placing the order immediately! Just hope it doesn't take too long.

The leather quality was outstanding on the new 5, but just opening the door felt "bad". The new Acura TL seemed to possess superior quality over the BMW. I am sure the performance will be stellar and the handling will best the E55, but I am sticking with the MB. I can live with the major understeer more easily than I could the shortcomings I felt the BMW had. IMO the E55 is a much nicer car in every way. Fortunately, I have a 996 Turbo in the stable for fast turns.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
I checked out the new 5 and couldn't agree more with the interior. Its terrible. Lots of flat cheap looking surfaces, especially the doors. WTF was BMW thinking. They took all that was good with BMW and discarded it.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Thumbs down E60 BMW 5 series

The only improvement seems to be rear and trunk space and that's about it!
Old 11-17-2003, 02:32 AM

Yes, I agree with you both.
I was anticipating the release of the 5 series and was considering it as a possible replacement of my MB. But now after seeing it, I won't even consider it as an option.

The interior just left a bad taste in my mouth. The plastic throughout was cheap and I really didn't like the position of the i control. It was too low and it felt unnatural to move it around. I can't imagine trying to use that thing while I am driving and looking at the screen. Real safe idea.

Now I am only considering the E55 or a used Porsche TT.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:12 AM
mhh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 MB E63 Wagon, 2012 BMW M5, 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2010 Ferrari 458
jkrutch, how does the Turbo rate as a daily driver? I'm not sure whether to order E55 or go for the Porsche. The car will be used for both daily commuting and longer trips.

I'm looking for a more involved driving feel than my C32 can give me. You seem a good guy to ask!

mhh
Old 11-17-2003, 09:23 AM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
Jkrutch,

did you see an M5 or the 5 series in general?
i kind of like the front end..but the back end is
a bangle nightmare. i've seen the 5 series in
person on dealer lots but i have yet to sit in one.
when peaking inside i didn't like the layout of the
dash. i want my car .....to look like a car inside.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
Re: New BMW 5 Series Impressions...

Originally posted by jkrutch
Just returned fron the S. Florida Auto Show tonight. I am pulling the deposit on the '05 M5 that I had placed. I was so disappointed with the interior and build quality of the new 5 series. I have decided instead to replace my basically stripped '04 E55 with a new one ordered to my specs. I am placing the order immediately! Just hope it doesn't take too long.

The leather quality was outstanding on the new 5, but just opening the door felt "bad". The new Acura TL seemed to possess superior quality over the BMW. I am sure the performance will be stellar and the handling will best the E55, but I am sticking with the MB. I can live with the major understeer more easily than I could the shortcomings I felt the BMW had. IMO the E55 is a much nicer car in every way. Fortunately, I have a 996 Turbo in the stable for fast turns.
really glad that you still stick with MB
Old 11-17-2003, 10:21 AM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
IT'S AN ABOMINATION!

I am a die hard BMW fan... with my current E39 still holding a warm place in my heart. But after anxiously waiting for the new release of the E60, you can imagine my dissapointment when the real photos began circulating. The sheetmetal is just plain goofy and the interior looks like a stripped down rental car (come on Bangle, the last car I had that had a big hole in the dash was because it was too cheap to have a radio!)

I'm sure that the new M5 will be a great driving machine, but no matter how well it drives I have to love the looks as well.

My E55 is slated for production the first decade in January. The wait is killing me!
Old 11-17-2003, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by mhh
jkrutch, how does the Turbo rate as a daily driver? I'm not sure whether to order E55 or go for the Porsche. The car will be used for both daily commuting and longer trips.

I'm looking for a more involved driving feel than my C32 can give me. You seem a good guy to ask!

mhh
The 996TT is an amazing daily driver. Mine has 9,000 miles as of Saturday. If my wife and I didn't have a 3rd child, I would not have purchased the E55. The 996TT is easy to drive, comfortable, and reliable as hell! The only work ever performed on my Porsche was replacement of the lug nuts which had rusted on the outside. I love the car so much that I ordered an '04 996 Turbo with a Turbo Aerokit. The new one is red/black, 6 speed, with a lot of options. If you're seriously interested in an absolutely pristine '02 Turbo, Black/Black very well equipped and meticulously maintained, let me know. Send me an email for more details.

IMHO there isn't a better daily driver out there. Don't get me wrong, I love the E55 and it is more comfy and cushy compared to the 996, but the 996 will also kill the E55 in all out performance driving. Another perk of the Porsche is the status that goes with a 6 figure car. By having both cars, I truly feel satisfied. I can take my wife out for a night on the town and drop the 3 kids off at the inlaw's house to babysit on the way. When I want to let loose or the inlaws come over our house to watch the kids, we take the Porsche. Either way you can't go wrong.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:34 PM
mhh

2012 MB E63 Wagon, 2012 BMW M5, 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2010 Ferrari 458
jkrutch, thanks for that. I'm in Australia, so I can't buy yours - well, I can but we have the steering wheel on the other side here!

The 6 speed - no regrets? Is the clutch OK?
Old 11-17-2003, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by S55inPA
Jkrutch,

did you see an M5 or the 5 series in general?
i kind of like the front end..but the back end is
a bangle nightmare. i've seen the 5 series in
person on dealer lots but i have yet to sit in one.
when peaking inside i didn't like the layout of the
dash. i want my car .....to look like a car inside.
Not the M5 (which I am sure will be better), but a 545i. I sat in it and even my wife (who couldn't care less about cars if she tried) said to stick with the MB E55.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by EX-BEEMER
My E55 is slated for production the first decade in January. The wait is killing me!
First decade
Old 11-17-2003, 04:40 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Wow..go figure. You can count me in on this debate. I was looking at a TT with either 20k or a new E55. You say the TT reliable, which im glad to hear. What is porsche's maintance program though. I cant seem to find info on it anywhere. If i have to pay for maintenance every 5k miles from the BEGINNING , I think I have to go with the E55....as long as I can get over someone else having had fun with that car for 20k miles...

Originally posted by jkrutch
The 996TT is an amazing daily driver. Mine has 9,000 miles as of Saturday. If my wife and I didn't have a 3rd child, I would not have purchased the E55. The 996TT is easy to drive, comfortable, and reliable as hell! The only work ever performed on my Porsche was replacement of the lug nuts which had rusted on the outside. I love the car so much that I ordered an '04 996 Turbo with a Turbo Aerokit. The new one is red/black, 6 speed, with a lot of options. If you're seriously interested in an absolutely pristine '02 Turbo, Black/Black very well equipped and meticulously maintained, let me know. Send me an email for more details.

IMHO there isn't a better daily driver out there. Don't get me wrong, I love the E55 and it is more comfy and cushy compared to the 996, but the 996 will also kill the E55 in all out performance driving. Another perk of the Porsche is the status that goes with a 6 figure car. By having both cars, I truly feel satisfied. I can take my wife out for a night on the town and drop the 3 kids off at the inlaw's house to babysit on the way. When I want to let loose or the inlaws come over our house to watch the kids, we take the Porsche. Either way you can't go wrong.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:41 PM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
First decade

As I understand it MB production calls their production weeks "decades". Don't ask me why
Old 11-17-2003, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
A decade is 10 days, so a month will have 3 decades. So your car is built during one of the decades.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by ThemisN
Wow..go figure. You can count me in on this debate. I was looking at a TT with either 20k or a new E55. You say the TT reliable, which im glad to hear. What is porsche's maintance program though. I cant seem to find info on it anywhere. If i have to pay for maintenance every 5k miles from the BEGINNING , I think I have to go with the E55....as long as I can get over someone else having had fun with that car for 20k miles...
Maintenance...what is that? My first oil change isn't due until 15k miles!!!! Mobil 1 doesn't breakdown like natural oil and I guess Porsche realizes that. To answer your question...the maintenance on the 996TT is very reasonable. I thought the 1st oil change was at 7,500 so I double checked the owner's manual and to my surprise I still had another 7,500 to go. The engine in the TT is a demodified race engine. It is not the same motor in the 996 normally aspirated car. It runs and runs....
Old 11-17-2003, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
more bimmer thoughts etc...

just spent some time in Los Angeles with my friend who tried getting me to buy his 2001 pristine 996 TT. 14k miles showroom silver/blk and w/ navig, full leather, etc... He offered it to me for $90k, but I just couldn't imagine being in it as a daily driver. Currently I'm driving a 2000 E320 Lorinser wagon(w/ 18" wheels) and I'm enjoying it immensely. This week I'll be selling my 1989 Carrera Cabriolet(66k) to a nice guy and then probably just hang for a while. I do like the 5-series and the M5, but I think I like the comfort more as I get older now. If I had to add a sedan, I think I'd go either a 2001 E55 or a 2001 740i sport(they're getting to be cheaper than the 540i's). Anyway, appreciate everyone's thoughts on the new 5 series...saves me some time checking it out at the dealers.

p.s. FWIW, the current porsche business reminds me of 1989...that's when slantnose was selling for sticker while 944s and 944 turbos were priced $15k more than the equivalent japanese sports cars(300zx and supras). fast fwd 14 years, and now the same thing's happening with boxster and boxster S selling for $50 to $60k(sitting on the car lot w/ 10%+ off) vs. 350Zs and other competitors w/ better values for the money. last time, porsche almost went out of business. let's see what happens this time. from what i'm hearing, cayenne's aren't really selling either and are being heavily discounted.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:59 AM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hi JKrutch,

a couple of years ago i read a letter sent to the Car & Driver editor from a GM engineer in regard to an article on oil change intervals that C&D printed in the previous month. in the letter the
engineer stated that even though synthetic oils could still protect the engine longer than conventional motor oils.... the main problem was that acids would build up in the oil from the combustion process(and that these acids were are not removed by the filter) and that would damage the
engine over time. guys i have no idea if this is accurate or not. seems logical but who knows.

long oil change service intervals always made me nervous.
i've been a Mobile 1 guy for 20 years. even with my MB products
i change the oil and filter every 5000 miles.
i'm sure the engineers who have designed these engines
have forgotten more than i'll ever know but 15000 miles.....that just seems to be a long time to leave oil in the motor.

with my MB's they extend the service interval to 10000. i always wondered ...since they are doing the service for free(i realize you pay for it in the price of the car) do they stretch it a little further than they should? MB's hold about 9 quarts of oil...i'm sure this helps extend it......but...to 10000 miles????

oh and JKrutch...how many quarts does your Porshe hold? i bet
it holds quite a bit because of the service interval.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:19 AM

I need to check and see the how much oil the TT takes, but I did forget to mention that the TT also consumes more oil by far than any other car I have owned. I have added over 8 quarts since day one. It is normal for a TT to consume about a quart per 1,000 miles based on info from Champion Porsche service. Therefore, the oil gets "recycled" more than most cars. I am sure the engineers at Porsche know what they are doing, otherwise they would have a big problem with a 48/50k warranty. I also firmly believe that the Quaker States and Pennzoils of the world have successfully marketed to us that 3,000 mile oil changes are "necessary".

I am very comfortable following the manufacturer's written instructions on maintenance intervals etc.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
MB got caught trying to cheat and it cost them by spec'ing out Mobil One. Remeber back in 99 when they first started to include free maintanence by using FSS to have really long oil change intervals? Then they started to notice that the conventional oil went bad, so they had to switch to the more expensive Mobil One.

I am going to change my oil every 5000 miles anyway, its not that expensive, just the price of 2 fill ups of Super Unleaded!
Old 11-18-2003, 09:28 AM

If nothing else, I would recommend changing the oil twice as often as the service interval (maybe leave the filter alone if you are lazy). Forced induction cars rely on engine oil to cool and lube the bearing in the turbo/supercharger which usually get much hotter and whose parts spin much faster than a conventional motor. Thus the oil is subjected to greater "loads" and may break down earlier.

Regardless of pulblished service intervals (and service lights) my 996 and M3 get fresh stuff every 3k or less (new stuff after every track event) no matter what.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:50 AM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
norb,

i remember that!! i had an E430 sport and a ML430. after i had
traded them in i received a letter from MB. i'm getting old i can't remember what the dam thing said .
even then i still did the 5000 interval change. i'm not that hard
of a driver so it should be spot on for me.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:05 AM

2004 E55
I love to read these posts of everyones cars and the pleasure they've gotten from them. That's what it's all about. I had a 325IS so I know the feel that only a BMW has. My highly modified 86 930 turbo gave me thrills I'll never forget. When you've owned several brands, the competition always has to get a lookover. My wife so hates the new 5 series styling she won't let us get any closer than a drive by.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:08 PM

active steering

while it in no way mitigates the sorry appearance of the car, active steering is loads of fun. I was whipping from one side of the road to the other, in a parking lot, and only turning the steering wheel a half turn. sort of like the minicooper.certainly not enough to buy for. Sorry Mb doesn't have something like it.