Opinions On Car Greatly Appreciated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E63, 98' Viper GTS, 11' Audi Q7 Prestige
Opinions On Car Greatly Appreciated

Good Evening,

I am considering the purchase of the linked vehicle (2009 E63AMG). It seems to be a very competitive price for an 09 with lower miles.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.carmax.com/enus/transfers...P&loc_num=7183

Thank you
Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
It's worth it for the Carmax warranty. They are bar none the best aftermarket warranty.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown 208 55 amg, 211 55 amg
I hate carmax I feel like you overpay the **** out of for a car, but I am a used car dealer myself so my opinions is pretty useless. There cars are usually perfect with that being said
Old 01-13-2014, 11:01 PM

I've been searching for a while and a lot of 2008s out there are commanding high 30s. I have also been looking for the Gray, which seems to be pretty rare. This car appears to be in phenomenal shape and I do intend to purchase the Carmax extended warranty with the vehicle. I also intend to take it to an MB dealer and have a "pre-inspection" performed on the car in case I need to send it back for a refund.

It does not have HIDs nor the factory 6.3L badges on the fenders. I suppose I can put the badges on myself or have MB do it...but I do want them on.

I am sure Carmax got the car for low 30s. I use to have a dealer friend get me cars at auction, but that connection no longer exists. I hate to pay that much for a daily driver, but I need something fun to drive. I have a Doge Viper for my weekend fun, but 90% of my driving is done daily, so why not have something fun.

I was just hoping members here could point out any issues they see with the car. Based on a few dozen emails with Carmax, the car has no scratches, dings, wheel rash, etc. I am a stickler for perfect cars.

Thank you

Last edited by adlong; 01-13-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:19 PM

no hids is a deal breaker for that kind of money keep looking... carmax cars typicall have no blemishes they cover them up with pdr spot paint touch up wheel repair dye leather etc just like most dealers but car max does it 100% they leave nothing out
Old 01-13-2014, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by stockC43
It's worth it for the Carmax warranty. They are bar none the best aftermarket warranty.

Are you being facetious?

Unfortunately most of the warranty's provided by the several banks and credit unions I am a member of do not warranty AMGs. I find it funny that most German models are NOT covered by the warranty providers I have looked at.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E550 4-matic 1987 Buick Regal with M275 swap
I just payed $36K for a white 09 with 23k miles. Everything but distronic.

Trending Topics

Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Redw20855amg
no hids is a deal breaker for that kind of money keep looking... carmax cars typicall have no blemishes they cover them up with pdr spot paint touch up wheel repair dye leather etc just like most dealers but car max does it 100% they leave nothing out
Thank you for the reply. Doing a comparison of pricing on the market, the price is relatively fair, but does have the Carmax markup. I looked at a 2008 with very low miles at a dealer recently but it had obvious undocumented front bumper damage, etc. It was almost 10k cheaper, but I am a stickler for a pristine car compared to one that is damaged and misrepresented. I also rarely see that color come up for sale.

I do know Carmax can be questionable, but I asked every question possible on this car. I do have the option to walk way if I choose to ship it. The HID's are an annoyance, but I suppose for me not a deal breaker. I am currently driving a 13 year old Lexus with no NAV, HIDs, etc.

Last edited by adlong; 01-13-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by whitelegacyguy
I just payed $36K for a white 09 with 23k miles. Everything but distronic.

Thank you. Where did you purchase the car?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:38 PM

2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Originally Posted by adlong
Thank you for the reply. Doing a comparison of pricing on the market, the price is relatively fair, but does have the Carmax markup. I looked at a 2008 with very low miles at a dealer recently but it had obvious undocumented front bumper damage, etc. It was almost 10k cheaper, but I am a stickler for a pristine car compared to one that is damaged and misrepresented. I also rarely see that color come up for sale.

I do know Carmax can be questionable, but I asked every question possible on this car. I do have the option to walk way if I choose to ship it. The HID's are an annoyance, but I suppose for me not a deal breaker. I am currently driving a 13 year old Lexus with no NAV, HIDs, etc.
I am into my E55 8k right now (distronic, parktronic, keyless go, dynamic seats, 4 zone climate, with all but pano). Purchased from an auction and has some door damage cracked side skirt and my **** just got keyed the other day. Do I give a ****? NOPE because I paid 6k for an 04 E55K with 101k. If you're going to spend 30k+ on a Mercedes that's NOT well equipped because of the color you're a terrible jew. Don't over pay for something if you're not getting the maximum value out of it. Seriously.. Just my $.02. You sound like a guy with money who doesn't overlook a few bucks here or there, you'll regret not getting the HIDs though. Good luck with the purchase.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by biggking
I am into my E55 8k right now (distronic, parktronic, keyless go, dynamic seats, 4 zone climate, with all but pano). Purchased from an auction and has some door damage cracked side skirt and my **** just got keyed the other day. Do I give a ****? NOPE because I paid 6k for an 04 E55K with 101k. If you're going to spend 30k+ on a Mercedes that's NOT well equipped because of the color you're a terrible jew. Don't over pay for something if you're not getting the maximum value out of it. Seriously.. Just my $.02. You sound like a guy with money who doesn't overlook a few bucks here or there, you'll regret not getting the HIDs though. Good luck with the purchase.
I appreciate the opinion and feedback. How truly under-optioned is this vehicle? That is really what I am looking at finding out. I can live without the HIDs and quite frankly, I have seen very few quality examples of E63s come online in the past few months that aren't from Bubba's Used car lot. I love the color and from the pictures, the car is in immaculate condition. I know these cars have a VERY high cost of ownership, and since this will be my daily driver, I want to be sure I am not getting an abused vehicle, and for sure want an extended warranty. Besides the HID's I am not sure what is missing except for the upper packages with LSD and updated Speed Limiter, etc.

I am a car guy, but I have never owned a German vehicle. I know I am in for a treat, both from a driver's satisfaction perspective and from a cost of ownership perspective, but, hell, I want something fun to drive to work every day!

Last edited by adlong; 01-14-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
I pulled this cars data card from EPC. This is actually a reasonably well optioned car. First off, it's Flint Grey (paint code 368u). Interior is 851a - Anthracite Nappa leather.

Options on the car include Pano sunroof, Parktronic, Side door sunblinds, rear window rollerblind, heated/cooled seats, CD/DVD changer, Nav, Bi-Xenon headlights with active curve illumination (option code 615), and Keyless Go. The data card also shows HD radio, though that may have been standard with the upgraded radio/Nav system in 2009 models - I'm not sure.

It is missing some common options. Two that come to mind are drive dynamic seats and the power trunk opener/closer. I think you are better off without the former, the latter can be kind of nice to have. Also it is not equipped with distronic, though fairly few cars have that option.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:04 PM

2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Originally Posted by Shadow5501
I pulled this cars data card from EPC. This is actually a reasonably well optioned car. First off, it's Flint Grey (paint code 368u). Interior is 851a - Anthracite Nappa leather.

Options on the car include Pano sunroof, Parktronic, Side door sunblinds, rear window rollerblind, heated/cooled seats, CD/DVD changer, Nav, Bi-Xenon headlights with active curve illumination (option code 615), and Keyless Go. The data card also shows HD radio, though that may have been standard with the upgraded radio/Nav system in 2009 models - I'm not sure.

It is missing some common options. Two that come to mind are drive dynamic seats and the power trunk opener/closer. I think you are better off without the former, the latter can be kind of nice to have. Also it is not equipped with distronic, though fairly few cars have that option.
This changes everything.. sorry to say adlong but do some more research before buying another car sir (your incompetence kills me). Last post here so we don't start a flame thread .
Old 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM

65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
Are you being facetious?

Unfortunately most of the warranty's provided by the several banks and credit unions I am a member of do not warranty AMGs. I find it funny that most German models are NOT covered by the warranty providers I have looked at.
Been at a MB dealer for 10 years and have seen all kinds of extended warrantys. None are perfect but the Carmax warranty seems to have the least hassles getting parts covered. I've even replaced batteries under Carmax warranty. You will want a good warranty on a e63. Obviously better deals can be found but Carmax is a safe (slightly expensive) bet.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:20 PM

Resale will be terrible so will trade in due to options used car dealers want cars with every option Why? Because they sell and sell fast you will lose at the very least 6K the second you sign the paperwork on that unit just my opinion. Again I am also a used car dealer...and I am not trying to sell you on anything just giving my perspective
Old 01-14-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E550 4-matic 1987 Buick Regal with M275 swap
Thank you. Where did you purchase the car?
At a dodge dealer in MN.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:28 AM

Thank you for all the helpful responses.

Apparently the vehicle is much more well equipped than Carmax seems to know. They flat out told me it did not have HIDs.

I've been looking at prices for a while and have not seen very many low mile 09s below 38k. If someone can point me to some that would be great. I know the markup on used car is huge having had friends buy me cars at auction that were selling for 10 grand more at dealers. I'm sure Carmax picked this one up at auction for 30.