W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Problems with Factory Phone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2003 | 09:21 PM
Vic

Problems with Factory Phone

Has anyone out there had any problems with the factory-installed phone system with voice control?

When in hands-free mode, everyone I talk to is getting audio feedback-- where they are often able to hear themselves with a slight delay. In essence, the microphone in the car is picking up the caller's words as they are coming through the car's speakers. The problem is intermittent, but very prevalent when the caller speaks for more than a few seconds at a stretch.

Needless to say, I have tried setting the volume very low, and the problem persists until I set the volume so low that I can barely hear the caller. When I press the "Mic Off" button on the COMAND display, the problem stops, but this is hardly an acceptable solution.

At this point, the car has been back at the dealer on two separate occasions and spent five days in the shop, and the problem has not been solved. My dealer has ordered a new Voice Control Module, but it could be some time before it arrives as no U.S dealer currently has one in stock.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so, was your dealer able to fix it?

In addition to this problem, I have also experienced more dropped calls in the few weeks I have had this vehicle than I did in the previous year with my 2002 BMW 745Li (and God knows that car had myriad other problems!) or in past years with my other MBs. I also have noticed an occasional popping in the speakers, followed by a blanking out/resetting of the COMAND display when I am using the phone. This results in losing the call about half the time, although neither the caller nor I can hear the other while this is happening (in those instances where the call remains connected after the "reset" has finished).

Given that a V60 phone from Verizon Wireless costs about $100.00, I'm not too pleased with the quality of my hands-free system, particularly in light of its $1995.00 cost.

If anyone else has had similar issues, I'd like to hear about it. I have had the hands-free MB phone is 2 other vehicles, and I also had it in the aforementioned BMW, and have not had this problem before. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2003 | 06:55 AM

2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
I've not experienced any of the problems that you mention. I too am using Verizon Wireless. In fact I think (but can't prove) that the reception is better than without the phone plugged in.
Old 11-20-2003 | 01:12 PM

I have the same exact problem. When you turn down the volume, the echo is gone. But then, you can't hear your caller. I was thinking about taking it back to the dealer next week to have it looked at. I have a feeling they are going to say, "that is just the way it is." For so much $$$, it should be like that.
Old 11-20-2003 | 02:49 PM
Vic

I've not experienced any of the problems that you mention. I too am using Verizon Wireless. In fact I think (but can't prove) that the reception is better than without the phone plugged in.
Eddie, I wish my reception was better with the phone plugged in, and in theory, I would think that this should be the case as the vehicle's antenna should be more effective than the stubby one on the handset.

I'm gonna wait and see what happens after the Voice Control Module is replaced, but given the high cost of this option, and the fact that I have had much better performance in three other vehicles, I just can't see accepting this as normal operation. If the replacement module doesn't solve the problem, I will press the issue until it is resolved satisfactorily.

Aside from this problem, I am very pleased with the car, and as such, I really hope that they are able to sort it out soon.
Old 11-21-2003 | 05:24 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Every single euro spec W211 has phoneproblems...

greetingz,
Old 11-23-2003 | 02:03 AM

Dear Vic,

Please keep me up to date our your situation. I stop by the dealership today and they told me they have never heard about it. I will make an appt to bring my car in. I also notice tonight the "echoing" happens after a few minutes into the call.

amgB
Old 11-23-2003 | 02:04 AM

Dear Vic,

Please keep me up to date our your situation. I stop by the dealership today and they told me they have never heard about it. I will make an appt to bring my car in. I also notice tonight the "echoing" happens after a few minutes into the call.

amgB
Old 11-23-2003 | 02:04 AM

Dear Vic,

amgB
Old 11-23-2003 | 05:51 AM

2004 E55
In our C32 it has worked very well, though at times it has been difficult to program, or to pull up a number. In other words, fails to interpret what you're saying correctly. But interference and such is non existent.