Sponsored by:

GPS antenna troubleshooting question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55
GPS antenna troubleshooting question...

I'm not picking up any satellites and I discovered corrosion at the connection of the antenna cable and the Logmatic GPS splitter presumably from minute amounts of water traveling down the cable since 2005. The other side of the splitter looks very clean.

I disconnected and did the cursory spray of a tiny amount of lubricant along with some wiggling back and forth once reconnected. Visible corrosion built up on either side of the connector and splitter.

A) has anyone had success in cleaning the contacts and if so what method.

I was going to say B) but I think the only thing keeping it from working is corrosion on the contacts...

Thanks everyone
Old 04-02-2014, 11:16 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 E63 AMG S, 4Runner
It's the corroded contacts. Clean them up. My comments are on the last post on when I fixed mine up (GPS not tracking, and SOS message would show up):

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...os-videos.html

Check out the original post from the beginning to help out. After sandpapering and/or small screwdriver picking off the corrosion, you'll want to use alcohol to clean off the lubricant, which will prevent electrical contact.

Last edited by amg_w211; 04-02-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55
Originally Posted by amg_w211
It's the corroded contacts. Clean them up. My comments are on the last post on when I fixed mine up (GPS not tracking, and SOS message would show up):

Check out the original post from the beginning to help out. After sandpapering and/or small screwdriver picking off the corrosion, you'll want to use alcohol to clean off the lubricant, which will prevent electrical contact.
Sweet - looks like a quick fix. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:47 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 E63 AMG S, 4Runner
Glad to help. It seems to be a pretty common problem.

Of note, after you clean up the splitter and the connectors that go to the splitter, pull your car out of the garage to get clear satellite signals and leave it on (well, in the ON position, not necessarily with engine running) for 3-15 minutes until the GPS can lock onto satellites and get a ground fix. Just be patient and you'll eventually have your car locked onto your house. Enjoy!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 C43 AMG
Sorry to revive an old thread, cleaned up the corroded connection today, and maybe I didn't let the car sit turned on long enough, but still no satellites. Cleaned everything up with a wire brush as best I could.

Has anyone thought of using dialectric grease to keep water out? Would that affect the connection in a bad way? Good way?

Lastly, has anyone gone through the hassle to actually replace the splitter and antenna parts?
Old 02-19-2015, 01:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
E63S
I replaced my splitter and the problem still exists. Specifically when it rains it comes back. I have heard its the Antenna that is leaking and causing problems. Thats next. Wonder what is involved in changing that?
Old 02-19-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 C43 AMG
I've purchased a replacement generic GPS antenna off EBAY to try with my old splitter, if it doesn't work, I'll try replacing the splitter as well. If that fixes it, I'm just going to yank the OEM antenna off, maybe replace it, and insulate the **** out of it to try and ensure this doesn't happen again. *grumble*
Old 08-07-2015, 07:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E63, E55(sold), C32 (sold), '65 Skylark GS 445 convertible, '12 ML350
Glad I saw this... I pulled mine apart and.... HOLY corroded!

Cleaning the contacts now and fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by amg_w211

Old 08-10-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
E63S
FWIW, Anyone using a copy of a mapping DVD, try using the original. I cant explain why but my GPS locking got much better when I went back to the old (original) mapping DVD.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:33 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2005 c230
Had this issue. Cleaned the (slightly) corroded splitter really well. No change. (0 satellites showing, 0 feet altitude). Got a used (excellent condition) w211 splitter from ebay. swapped it in. No change.

Got a $9 generic GPS antenna from ebay with fakra connector. Disconnected the stock antenna from rear of the navigation unit in trunk, connected the ebay antenna and temporarily stuck it on the trunk..9 satellites within 3 mins. Drove around the block and the actual location on the nav screen corrected itself within a minute as well. Went back home and routed the cable from trunk to around perimiter of rear glass (tucks underneath the weather stripping surrounding rear window) and used gray 3m double face tape to secure the antenna to my pano glass just slightly ahead of the stock GPS antenna on the back glass.
The following users liked this post:
Ausiblt2006 (06-27-2018)