A/C cooling questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 09:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS55
A/C cooling questions

Hello,

My AC blows cold out of my driver side vents, but very little air is coming out of the passenger side. I’ve played around with temperature settings but it doesn’t fix it. Also, it takes up to 10 minutes sometimes for my car to blow cold air, if its been sitting in the sun all day. The AC blows cold air, but not even close to what other cars I own do.

Any ideas before I take it in to the shop? I’ve brought it in to the dealership before but everything checked out fine, they just added some refrigerant. Do these cars just have subpar ac?
Old 04-25-2014, 12:26 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
They blow real cold, when all is working. Check to make sure you have the vent settings set up right, or you may have one side on split air settings. Most MB techs, say to set them on 70-72 deg and run them on auto all the time.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 04-25-2014, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Sounds like your freon level might be low. I don't know if it applies to these cars, but it's common for an a/c system to direct most of it's cool air to the driver when the freon runs low.

As for why it's low, it could be anything.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS55
Thanks.
I haven't touched a vent since I bought the car. So for 4 years everything has been in the same spot. My AC has never been to anything other than "Lo". Its hot down here in South Florida.
I'll have my tech check the freon level tomorrow. The heat doesn't help much but I've never been impressed with this cars AC output. I've only recently noticed it because I no longer park in a garage at work.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:03 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by FinanceMike
Thanks.
I haven't touched a vent since I bought the car. So for 4 years everything has been in the same spot. My AC has never been to anything other than "Lo". Its hot down here in South Florida.
I'll have my tech check the freon level tomorrow. The heat doesn't help much but I've never been impressed with this cars AC output. I've only recently noticed it because I no longer park in a garage at work.
Hot here in S/E Texas too, so if you dont`t have cold blow, then something is not right. Freon is a good first check and also all the settings. Long shot, but make sure your cabin filter is not clogged and is clean as well. HElps air volume and air purity.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 04-25-2014, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 2010 E350
I definitely feel like running it on auto makes it blow more air but I don't have any complaints with mine here in AZ. Well other than the rear seat door pillar vents which don't seem to do much of anything...

Mike are you able to adjust the airflow on the passenger side, i.e move it to the floor vs face etc, and get any different output? maybe one of the diverters in the dash which moves the air around is stuck?
Old 04-25-2014, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
To properly check the level of Freon in your system, all should be evacuated, draw 30 inches of vacuum then see if the vacuum changes over ten or twenty minutes which would signify a leak then refill with proper amount as shown on the inside of the hood. Adding additional Freon into a system without know just how much is in there will or could damage your AC components. AC system must be reset after Freon is returned to the AC unit. AC should start to blow cold air into the cabin within a few minutes as you have stated when parked outside the internal cabin temp is high and it will take a bit to cool all the under dash lines, open the window an inch or so the allow the fan to work even better at removing the cabin heat until you feel the cold air coming from the vents. Good Luck
Old 04-25-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 MERC E55
AC in merc

although i would agree what all been said but i will have to step off and say, i will agree with you the quality of the merc ac system. own several and even an older s-class and the air conditioning system is just not up to par especially right when you get into a very hot south florida sunny car! i dont think you will find anything out but will encourage you to see it thru to get a piece of mind but when you compare even to say my chevy surburban, the ac system on start up in the very hot day with the windows up, the chevy outperforms the merc any give day, but after about like you say, 5 to 10 minutes of being on, the merc ac is firing up and blowing as cold and as efficient as any ac on the market. many people have had this same complaint about merc ac system esp in south florida. what i will say to help the system is: when you approach the car esp when its been in the sun, there is a way thru your keyfob to let all the windows down and automatically open sunroof before you enter the car and this will allow that hot air to escape faster and may make the ac feel like its performing "better" without having to overcome all that interior hot air. also in slow moving and stop and go traffic, press your "recirc" button to use only recirculated air, car will have an easier time cooling its own air than when you are not moving as fast due to traffic and such. my .02 hope it helps. how the hell are you man??? take care Mike.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Huh, my AC blows cold AF!