Sponsored by:

OH BROTHER, BAD AIRMATIC STRUT.. AFTER 2 WEKS OF OWNING

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 10:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 c63 AMG
OH BROTHER, BAD AIRMATIC STRUT.. AFTER 2 WEKS OF OWNING

I HAD READ EXTENSIVELY ABOUT THIS ISSUE PRIOR TO MY PURCHASE.. BUT NOW AFTER JUST 2 WEEKS OF OWNERSHIP, i WAS CLOSE TO HOME AND GOT THE "CAR TOO LOW" DEATH WARNING. MY RIGHT FRONT JUST SAT DOWN AND CRAPPED OUT. OH JOY.

I DO HAVE TO CONSIDER MY SELF LUCKY IN A WAY THOUGH, I WENT ONLINE TO SEARCH FOR THE PART.. SAW THE ARNOTT REFERENCES, BUT THEN SAW A LISTING FOR A NEW OEM PART 2113205438 ON EBAY. IT WAS JUST LISTED TODAY AT $ 360 SHIPPED. SO I IMMEDIATELY PURCHASED.

THE SELLER IS A PARTS STORE WITH 5000 PURCHASE RATING AT 100% SO I FELT OK.
i FOUND OUT THAT THERE WAS A PRICE TYPO..IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE 760 SHIPPED, BUT THE OWNER STOOD BY THE PRICE AND IS SHIPPING OUT TOMORROW AM.

i HAVE ALREADY SAVED THE WALKTHROUGH POSTED HERE SOME TIME BACK BY YACHT MASTER SO I NOW HAVE MY FIRSR PROJECT

ANY FURTHER TIPS ??
Old 04-27-2014, 10:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 E55 AMG
If he didn't ship it yet I would tell him to keep it, and get the Arnott industries .....lifetime warranty! Once you find out the part number you could go on advanced auto parts typing the Internet code to save 20% and the arnott shock will come in the mail two days later....then you can go right to advance auto parts with the core and I'll give you cash on the spot.... You're not saving any money by getting the Mercedes OEM shock, the Arnott industry shock is a better made part. You could just say screw it and go for coil over conversion right from jump save yourself any these headaches down the line, but there's something to be had for the arimatic.

Last edited by MAN55LE; 04-27-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:31 PM

2011 c63 AMG
Originally Posted by MAN55LE
If he didn't ship it yet I would tell him to keep it, and get the Arnott industries .....lifetime warranty! Once you find out the part number you could go on advanced auto parts typing the Internet code to save 20% and the arnott shock will come in the mail two days later....then you can go right to advance auto parts with the core and I'll give you cash on the spot
well..genuine OEM part and for 360 I cant go wrong..already is paid for and is shipped out fedex 2 day , There was also no core charge and it does have a warranty so its all good..
Old 04-27-2014, 11:52 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 E63 AMG S, 4Runner
Ship back your bad core to Arnott. They'll pay you for it, even if you didn't buy a replacement. Less waste to the dump and you get a little cash your way (used to be $50, I think it's around $25 now).
Old 04-28-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT - Silverstone II/Fox Red Extended
Should've went the Arnott route my friend. I had an OE front strut fail and ended up just replacing all four with Arnotts to avoid future headaches. They ride/perform a lot better too.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fergsc32

ANY FURTHER TIPS ??

Find the caps-lock key and press it once more. There's usually a little light on the keyboard that will go out to let you know you've done it correctly.

If you can figure it out, the Arnott install shouldn't be much harder.

-G
Old 04-28-2014, 10:53 AM

2011 c63 AMG
Originally Posted by GregMB
Find the caps-lock key and press it once more. There's usually a little light on the keyboard that will go out to let you know you've done it correctly.

-G
great tip !! swapped keyboards instead since the other was broken obviously but i really really appreciate the well thought out and useful response. Glad we have these kind if forum members to assist at these times.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:55 AM

2011 c63 AMG
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r
Should've went the Arnott route my friend. I had an OE front strut fail and ended up just replacing all four with Arnotts to avoid future headaches. They ride/perform a lot better too.
next time.. for $ 360 and a long term warranty ... can go wrong. but next time.. Arnott it will be..off to start the install !
Old 04-28-2014, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
The one big thing all the "you should have bought a Arnott" people are forgetting is that the hydraulics in the shock are used and worn, Arnott dose not renew the shock.
One other consideration, do you really get a "AMG" or a E500 AirMatic strut?
I don't know.
To the OP, you did good, $360 for new OEM, is a home run!!!! I would have done the same thing you did, new>used rebuilt. + Arnott will buy your core for $50.00
Old 04-28-2014, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by GregMB

-G
I would have gone with an animated GIF, but couldn't find a good one.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:46 PM

2011 c63 AMG
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
The one big thing all the "you should have bought a Arnott" people are forgetting is that the hydraulics in the shock are used and worn, Arnott dose not renew the shock.
I don't know.
To the OP, you did good, $360 for new OEM, is a home run!!!! I would have done the same thing you did, new>used rebuilt. + Arnott will buy your core for $50.00
Below is the actual strut ....

Old 04-28-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT - Silverstone II/Fox Red Extended
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
I don't know.
Well as stated on their site, the rear bags from Arnott are entirely their design and share very little with the OE version which they consider "inferior". My front struts are labeled for 'AMG' application only. And whether or not the hydraulics are renewed is beside the point if they come with a lifetime warranty. My point still stands. Arnott > OEM.

That said, I do agree that the OP got a good deal on an OE replacement, so really no harm in going that route. I just prefer not to do things twice by doing it right the first time. Chances are, the OP will be hunting for another strut or rear bag sooner rather than later, given Airmatic's notorious failure rate.

Last edited by Quicksilv3r; 04-28-2014 at 01:46 PM.