Sponsored by:

the new SRT Challenger with Hellcat Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Mom Krazy
Originally Posted by boostiality
Corvette forum heard what Thericker said. Acts accordingly...

Wow!!! Hilarious
Old 01-09-2015, 12:19 AM

Your Mom Krazy
Originally Posted by boostiality
Agreed especially with most vette owners being of the older variety, you would think GM would have dialed in the suspension a lot better from the factory though I've heard that the C7 is head and shoulders a much better car from the previous gens.

Here's a good video showing a base C6 being driven by a pro driver on a familiar road and it's interesting driving dynamics :
Tsuchiya and the Corvette - YouTube
I would've pissed myself if i was in the passenger seat LOL
Old 01-09-2015, 12:22 AM

Your Mom Krazy
Originally Posted by Nanook
Say what you will..I agree there is room for improvement in the C6 platform...I'll be keeping mine for a long time

It's sexy for sure!!
Old 01-09-2015, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32, C55, 08 E63
Originally Posted by Thericker
Inadvertently you've just backed up my statements that in stock or modded form (most guys always spend $$ on go fast parts, not suspension to correct inherent oem flaws) Corvettes get squirley as hell w/OEM suspension (in your opinion the flaw is in handling/OEM suspesion vs mine the TQ management & shift line pressure coupled to ultra light chassis/body)

You bring up a great point... I have ton of experience driving high hp/tq autos as did my friends who found same problems w/their Vettes & this shouldn't be an issue any way, as the general public doesn't have mass exp in properly driving high hp/tq autos, Chevy etc should know this buy now & make these cars user friendly for the novice as well.

Another part of problem is the modern BASE models are now more powerful than your old C5 Z06, even my previous BASE model C6 came w/same 400 hp you had in C5 Z06, now the base models up to 460 hp & 0-60 3.8 Imagine what you would've done driving your past C5 Z06 if it had 460 hp in STOCK trim? You noted when you 1st bought it, it was very unstable for even having the stock 400 hp etc..

They need to scrap the Transverse Leaf springs, ALL 7 generations use some form of Leaf Springs starting way back in 53' w/C2 fast fwd to C5, C6, & latest C7 using Front & rear: Independent unequal-length*double wishbones*with transverse fiberglass mono-leaf springs... (I forgot 1 more major problem & why a ton of these Vettes loose control so easily, add ALL the above to the incredibly rigid, no flex sidewall Run Flats standard w/BASE models = date w/disaster as far as loosing control due to little to no traction = violent tail wag under acceleration) So to make a Corvette somewhat civil you need aftermarket suspension setup & IF you didn't buy the Z06 model you absolutely have to buy a set of very expensive Michelin Pilot Super Sport Cup tires... *

Now be honest.. You have to admit ANY of the Z06 models or EVEN the newer C6-C7 BASE models w/400-460 HP, let alone the latest 650 hp Z06 put in a NOVICES hands is a highly possible death trap.. Problem is like you already pointed out, the masses that own/crash these are novices..

Now put that same NOVICE in 670 HP 740 TQ SL65 Black Series & he can hammer the hell out of it (NO twisty racing, just straight line racing or hard accelertion) they wont put it into a wall or worse other cars etc.. The Black Series or any AMG model etc isn't just safer due to 4000lb on up curb weights, they are over engineered w/safety in mind in every aspect of the car including EXCELLENT stability control programs to reel the driver in NO MATTER level of experience as EVERY high HP/TQ model should be.. Same w/all perf models from BMW/AUDI etc etc.. You get what you pay for I guess..
I couldn't agree more with all of your statements. In stock form the cars are incredibly unpredictable, unlike the famed s2000(in japan) the car will go from a controlled slide to sliding out in less than a second without warning. As opposed to other more well balanced stock cars where when you push it to its limits the level of control is linear so you have time to feel when you are starting to lose control and have the time to adjust accordingly, the stock corvette has absolutely none of this. It's control one minute and hello curb/wall/oncoming traffic.

If people just understood how poor the stock suspension is and upgrade this first along with the rubber bushings they could enjoy the cars for what I believe GM intended them to be, a insanely fast, light fun car to drive that won't break the bank.

I'm notorious for not keeping cars very long which is why I've owned upwards of 40 cars in the past 20 years but I kept my z06 the longest at 6 years and it was by far my most favorite car to own and drive. If you can replace the suspension components and get some good tires I feel the cars can't be beat in overall fun factor and ownership enjoyment. Along with the fact that they are admired by 75 year old guys all the way to 10 year olds! If I hadn't of needed 4 doors I'd still own it in place of my e63.

As far as them moving to AWD, I honestly don't think they will ever do it.... The brand loyal fans love the cars for what they've always been, a light front engine RWD car. If they decided to make a version that's AWD along side a RWD version I don't think there would be as many complaints I just don't see how they would go about it engineering wise without completely changing the car as a whole which would kill the iconic name and branding they've built for the last 50+ years.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
corvette vs porsche . who wins?
Old 01-09-2015, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
That's some bullSh*T right there..I recall seeing that but don't remember the outcome. Clearly the Vette was quicker,..exciting none the less
Old 01-09-2015, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by Nanook
That's some bullSh*T right there..I recall seeing that but don't remember the outcome. Clearly the Vette was quicker,..exciting none the less
quicker in that he shorted the track, hit the porsche trying to pass? possibly the vette was quicker on a straightaway but the porsche was in front and handled every corner better and off the corner was faster. also the driver wasn't about to be intimidated and drove the vette into the wall after being hit! racing at its best!

outcome was pcar won and vette was shoveled into dumpster cause there wasn't much left

but yours is yellow so you get a pass!!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
quicker in that he shorted the track, hit the porsche trying to pass? possibly the vette was quicker on a straightaway but the porsche was in front and handled every corner better and off the corner was faster. also the driver wasn't about to be intimidated and drove the vette into the wall after being hit! racing at its best!

outcome was pcar won and vette was shoveled into dumpster cause there wasn't much left

but yours is yellow so you get a pass!!
Vette clearly had way more top end as the 1st pass on shoulder he opened up 2-3+ car lead until officials squawked it was illegal move.. (I fail to see how, the Pcar was clearly holding Vette up & way slower on straights, let the man pass)

The bit @ the end was krazy, yeah the Vette shouldn't of given him the luv tap but what followed w/Pcar intentionally pitting him into the wall until he lost control & crashed was down right Are you saying the officials gave the Pcar the W a clean valid Win??? Either way what an excellent bit of super competitive driving.. Thnx for sharring bud
Old 01-09-2015, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Enigma94
I couldn't agree more with all of your statements. In stock form the cars are incredibly unpredictable, unlike the famed s2000(in japan) the car will go from a controlled slide to sliding out in less than a second without warning. As opposed to other more well balanced stock cars where when you push it to its limits the level of control is linear so you have time to feel when you are starting to lose control and have the time to adjust accordingly, the stock corvette has absolutely none of this. It's control one minute and hello curb/wall/oncoming traffic.

If people just understood how poor the stock suspension is and upgrade this first along with the rubber bushings they could enjoy the cars for what I believe GM intended them to be, a insanely fast, light fun car to drive that won't break the bank.

I'm notorious for not keeping cars very long which is why I've owned upwards of 40 cars in the past 20 years but I kept my z06 the longest at 6 years and it was by far my most favorite car to own and drive. If you can replace the suspension components and get some good tires I feel the cars can't be beat in overall fun factor and ownership enjoyment. Along with the fact that they are admired by 75 year old guys all the way to 10 year olds! If I hadn't of needed 4 doors I'd still own it in place of my e63.

As far as them moving to AWD, I honestly don't think they will ever do it.... The brand loyal fans love the cars for what they've always been, a light front engine RWD car. If they decided to make a version that's AWD along side a RWD version I don't think there would be as many complaints I just don't see how they would go about it engineering wise without completely changing the car as a whole which would kill the iconic name and branding they've built for the last 50+ years.
I heard this from Corvette Dealership in LA, & agree would be engineering nightmare & go against the heritage 50 yr reign in best bargain perf RWD autos.. What I heard though is it would be an exclusive perf model option ONLY, like Z06/ZR1 but a huge step further in AWD Z06 only model pushing the $180k-$200k mark... I'd love to see it as it would be a Game Changer for the brand & make unreal leaps in perf but agree doubt it will ever come to fruition...

You've def gave me food for thought on adding aftermarket suspension setup thnx as I'm still in love w/brand & think the C7 is flat out gorgeous, add the reworked proper euro quality interior & If it works as well as you describe I'm certain the TQ management & shift line pressure would be under control after these handling/suspension mods..
Old 01-10-2015, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
//double post

Last edited by HeissRod; 01-10-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vette clearly had way more top end as the 1st pass on shoulder he opened up 2-3+ car lead until officials squawked it was illegal move.. (I fail to see how, the Pcar was clearly holding Vette up & way slower on straights, let the man pass)
You're kidding, right? That pit lane pass was bull****.

And no way he should have been waved by. That was first and second place fighting for position at the top of the GT2 class.

like Z06/ZR1 but a huge step further in AWD Z06 only model pushing the $180k-$200k mark...
Lol. Take what that dealership told you with a grain of salt. The chances of Chevy bringing out a $200k Vette anytime soon is pretty funny.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by HeissRod
You're kidding, right? That pit lane pass was bull****.

And no way he should have been waved by. That was first and second place fighting for position at the top of the GT2 class.

Lol. Take what that dealership told you with a grain of salt. The chances of Chevy bringing out a $200k Vette anytime soon is pretty funny.
I know that's a pipe dream & basically said that in my post above, though just relaying what I heard from Chevy Dealership the guy was a GM though (no names).. I realize the pit lane pass was illegal, & why officials did what they did. Just my opinion that "IT" should've been legal as all the slower Pcar did was block him constantly, I know thats racing & the game but when Vette finally did that he was clearly in the lead to stay etc.. Again just my take on it

Last edited by Thericker; 01-10-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Officials are not going to wave 2nd place by first. If it was lap traffic, maybe, but not for the race decision.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
E55 and several 928s
Again with the massive generalizations and seudo-mechanical science statements.

Yes - exactly - don't generalize based upon the fact that you may drive like a dip**** without knowing the dynamics of the surface you are on at the moment.

Like I said before - maybe don't drive like a dip****. Maybe drive like an experienced driver would, with respect to how much power the car has and its driving dynamics (light, RWD, etc)

Who is making assumptions? You are continuing to make blanket statements because of your personal experience.

You were even called out on it with the picture of someone doing what you say and putting a rag in their gas tank and lighting a match. THAT'S how ridiculous your hysterical generalizing statements are. Very akin to human stereotyping.

As I said- you hold your opinion, but do not spout it as general fact.

What a predictable asinine retort Your assumptions on my driving are laughable.. Apart from legal dragstrip racing... Just an occasional throttle stab to either merge on the freeway or to avert an idiot driver etc will & does put the Corvette into a violent tail wag or complete loss of control (It's a problem w/the TQ management & shift line pressure in the ECU/TCU & the % of TQ & line pressure it releases at any given time under myriad of throttle positions, the Vette will react as if you floored it instead of just kicking down 1 or 2 gears, happens in both Auto & Manual couple this to super lightweight chassis/body & maybe you'll start to get the picture) Definitely a dipsh_it short coming on my part

The Corvette desperately needs AWD period
Just relaying what my past Corvette tuner & I thought the problems were & why everybody either barely escapes wrecking or flat putting it in the wall @ 1/8 th or actually T boning another car/guard-rail/tree on city streets/frwy etc I sold mine & so did handful of friends for these exact reasons.. Would I buy another 1 if they finally add AWD? Or and just fix the power delivery problems? YES...
Old 01-11-2015, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by BC928
Again with the massive generalizations and seudo-mechanical science statements.

Yes - exactly - don't generalize based upon the fact that you may drive like a dip**** without knowing the dynamics of the surface you are on at the moment.

Like I said before - maybe don't drive like a dip****. Maybe drive like an experienced driver would, with respect to how much power the car has and its driving dynamics (light, RWD, etc)

Who is making assumptions? You are continuing to make blanket statements because of your personal experience.

You were even called out on it with the picture of someone doing what you say and putting a rag in their gas tank and lighting a match. THAT'S how ridiculous your hysterical generalizing statements are. Very akin to human stereotyping.

As I said- you hold your opinion, but do not spout it as general fact.
Hysterical enjoy your alternate reality where I'm flooring it on black ice etc you sir? madam? need help..
Old 01-11-2015, 05:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2008 G55 AMG, 2010 Audi R8 V10, 2010 Ford Raptor, 2005 Porsche 911, 1966 Chevy II
Ran in to this yesterday...

the new SRT Challenger with Hellcat Engine-forumrunner_20150111_151317.png

the new SRT Challenger with Hellcat Engine-forumrunner_20150111_151336.png

the new SRT Challenger with Hellcat Engine-forumrunner_20150111_151349.png

the new SRT Challenger with Hellcat Engine-forumrunner_20150111_151358.png
Old 01-11-2015, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by 5280CLS55
Luvvv it! though I'd take 1 in matte white please