W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I overreacting? E420 badged as E55...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real Cars
Originally posted by affalterbach
Where is doctor Phil when you need him? I have a relative that owns some vintage Porsches. He makes fun of people that tweak their cars and remove their badging. In his mind, there is little or no distinction between a souped up Supra and a fake E55 owner.

Is it possible that someone might see a guy driving around and say to themselves - look at that loser in that souped up car? Look at his muffler!- Shaq could fit his shoe in there. Maybe he doesn't have enough money to buy a proper car so he drives that wannabe Porsche - poor thing. Remind me to give to charity.

Sounds dumb, because it is. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Ask me if I care? Perhaps you shouldn't either.
Indeed - but there is a flaw in your criticism. The criticism that someone would give me because they think my car is slow or some rice burner comes out of ignorance on their end, not my own. How is criticizing someone who falsely badged their car being ignorant? I'm sorry to say, but if your vintage Porsche relative won't make a distinction between a 1000hp Supra and an everyday E420 with E55 seats who decided to put on E55 badges to be different he isn't much of an enthusiast. This isn't to say everyone should love my car, because obviously they don't - but I'm not fronting my car as being something it isn't - I don't front it as being anything. It's just there... no badging, no nothing. I am not pretending to be something I am not and hoping others will think I am "cool" for doing so.

No flames, just curious. I think the two situations are different. If people don't like how my car looks and want to make fun of it because of a big exhaust can (that serves an actual engineering purpose) they are simply being ignorant (for criticizing the exhaust can - not for thinking it's ugly - looks are subjective and everyone is entitled to their opinion). If I had something on my car that purposely led people to believe it was something it is not, like a Lexus badge - that's ME being stupid - not them.

-m

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 12-11-2003 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:36 PM
Almost a Member!

W210
The distinction stems from a Pebble Beach perspective, a place where neither car would be welcome.

Missed point. In the way you're disturbed by the imposter, for whatever reason, there may be those that have disdain for your car as well. Right or wrong, everyone's entitled to an opinion. The problem is when one takes it to heart.

The faker would probably buy a real E55 if he could afford to - so don't hold it against him, just be thankful that you can. Or do you think all those women with fake Gucci bags prefer them over a real one? They do it because their wallet doesn't match their desires. Doesn't bother me as long as they're happy.

Personally, I'd love to take a spin in your Supra regardless of what a purist would say - but then again - that's me.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:37 PM

just let it die people!
We have beaten this thing to death already.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
*Checks pulse*
No it's still alive, no need to kill a decent thread that has good, mature attacks.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
.............if we all really knew how very little people outside this forum know or care about E55 or E430, this thread would have ended already. A friend once asked me if I was going to trade in my G55 for the new Grand Cherokee when it comes out next year. Honestly, only those of us on forums like this know the difference and we represent only a tiny fraction of the general public. If anyone is buying an E55 thinking that non-forum members will admire it, you are in for a shock. You will get much more respect driving a $35K used 2000 S430. People at least know it is an S class not an E class. My point is that only reason you should spend this much money on a car is for you tp personally enjoy it. If you are looking for public admiration, an E55 is the wrong car. People don't know it from Adam.

Ted
Old 12-11-2003, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 F-150 XLT Sport Crew Cab
Originally posted by Marcus Frost
Indeed - but there is a flaw in your criticism. The criticism that someone would give me because they think my car is slow or some rice burner comes out of ignorance on their end, not my own. How is criticizing someone who falsely badged their car being ignorant? I'm sorry to say, but if your vintage Porsche relative won't make a distinction between a 1000hp Supra and an everyday E420 with E55 seats who decided to put on E55 badges to be different he isn't much of an enthusiast. This isn't to say everyone should love my car, because obviously they don't - but I'm not fronting my car as being something it isn't - I don't front it as being anything. It's just there... no badging, no nothing. I am not pretending to be something I am not and hoping others will think I am "cool" for doing so.

No flames, just curious. I think the two situations are different. If people don't like how my car looks and want to make fun of it because of a big exhaust can (that serves an actual engineering purpose) they are simply being ignorant (for criticizing the exhaust can - not for thinking it's ugly - looks are subjective and everyone is entitled to their opinion). If I had something on my car that purposely led people to believe it was something it is not, like a Lexus badge - that's ME being stupid - not them.

-m
Your awesome man! I love how mad you get at this guy who drove a fake E55....This is the reason why people do things like this. "hint" Keep up your comments, they are killing me lol.

Incase you did not know...I'm that guy who 'use' to own that Mercedes your talking about until I sold it 2 weeks ago. To be honest...I have no shame in doing what I did....I was happy with what I did and that is all that matters to me. Why should I care what others think? I do love to hear from the people who get upset from this. So please man dont stop. Let me hear more how you feel lol.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally posted by Benz
Your awesome man! I love how mad you get at this guy who drove a fake E55....This is the reason why people do things like this. "hint" Keep up your comments, they are killing me lol.

Incase you did not know...I'm that guy who 'use' to own that Mercedes your talking about until I sold it 2 weeks ago. To be honest...I have no shame in doing what I did....I was happy with what I did and that is all that matters to me. Why should I care what others think? I do love to hear from the people who get upset from this. So please man dont stop. Let me hear more how you feel lol.
Don't let my rhetoric confuse you - I'm not blowing my top over it, I was just engaging in conversation. I may have gotten a little disturbed when I first saw the thread but that was days ago. As I have said, I have found it humorous rather than aggravating and you seem comfortable with having people laughing at you so more power to you. I think the matter should be closed and we'll just let what is be what is.

You will make a swell cop (Benz is going to the academy to become a Police officer, it was stated in the other thread) trying to purposely do things to **** people off, and instead making yourself look foolish.

-m

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 12-12-2003 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
NOOOTS to all! babababababababa eeewl
NOOOTS!!!!!@@!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2003, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Marcus Frost

You will make a swell cop (Benz is going to the academy to become a Police officer, it was stated in the other thread) trying to purposely do things to **** people off, and instead making yourself look foolish.
-m
Me look foolish? You are the one who got pissed off lol....So what if I have humor

You have posted only 11 times and most of the 11 times have been about me. I guess i seem very important to you. You can just call me daddy benz if you would like.

Learn to get some humor.

Mich- lol...very true..
Old 12-12-2003, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C300
Well don't go off and wear Sargent stripes while you are a cadet at the police accademy. They might frown on that too.

He could put E99 on the back of his car and only a Mercedes enthusiast would know the difference.

If one follows the speed limits here in the US then an E320, E420, E430, E50, E55 should get from point A to point B in the same amount of time.

Don't drive fast through Florida, Benz will have a chip on his sholder for E55s and pull you over.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:44 PM

2003 Nissan 350Z
Let the guy do whatever he wants...it's just like people putting "Type-R" on Hondas/Acuras. They're just bsin' themselves, trying to deceive others into thinking they have more than they really do and if they get caught, its just embarrassing.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally posted by affalterbach
The distinction stems from a Pebble Beach perspective, a place where neither car would be welcome.

Personally, I'd love to take a spin in your Supra regardless of what a purist would say - but then again - that's me.
Agreed - and I see where you are coming from. If you are in Chicago aside from when we have snow up to our shoulders I would be more than happy to take you for a 'spin' Just let me know... I always enjoy sharing the experience with those who can appreciate it.

Benz, you've provided more comic relief than anger. You should try what has been mentioned in the thread, wearing Sgt. stripes while you are a cadet, see how that flies with the department!

-m
Old 12-12-2003, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG

Whatever makes you happy.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:45 PM

Porsche Twin Turbo, Supra Turbo, EVO Turbo
Man....this is an awesome thread.....
Old 12-18-2003, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by 03E55AMG
Man....this is an awesome thread.....
i agree
Old 12-18-2003, 07:53 PM

i agree
So did you end up buying another E ?
Old 12-18-2003, 08:28 PM

No....I sold it cause I could not afford it anymore Right now i'm just sharing my fiance's car until I start the academy. I'm going to have to buy somethign cheap to get me to the academy and back. I have no idea what i'm going to buy I do miss my car tho

Where in Orlando are you located? I saw a car that sounds just like yours at the Oviedo Marketplace not to long ago.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:38 PM

No....I sold it cause I could not afford it anymore Right now i'm just sharing my fiance's car until I start the academy. I'm going to have to buy somethign cheap to get me to the academy and back. I have no idea what i'm going to buy I do miss my car tho

Where in Orlando are you located? I saw a car that sounds just like yours at the Oviedo Marketplace not to long ago.
Perhaps it was me, I don't usually go around that area but I was last week around there. You saw what car?
Old 12-18-2003, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by 03E55AMG
Perhaps it was me, I don't usually go around that area but I was last week around there. You saw what car?
I'm guessing it was your car...I dont think there are many 03 silver e55's in this area yet. I've seen 1 silver one and 1 black one here. Very nice
Old 12-18-2003, 10:26 PM

I'm guessing it was your car...I dont think there are many 03 silver e55's in this area yet. I've seen 1 silver one and 1 black one here. Very nice
I have seen quite a few, at least 5 around...most of them silver....but not often....
Old 12-19-2003, 05:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
lol funny how upset some people get about other's choice to customize their car the way they like to
you do know they have a right to do so, YOU didn't pay for their car
Old 12-19-2003, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Alright "BENZ," as a person, I may respect you, but badging it E55 is mother ****ing gay.

There a gay boy I know how got a '96 C220. Badged it C55. What a ***.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Originally posted by The Doctor
Alright "BENZ," as a person, I may respect you, but badging it E55 is mother ****ing gay.

There a gay boy I know how got a '96 C220. Badged it C55. What a ***.
I luv your real Brabus engine upgrade!
Old 12-19-2003, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally posted by michakaveli
I luv your real Brabus engine upgrade!
Thanks man, but for 19HP, I don't think it was really worth it. But the engine cover makes it worthwhile. I was toying w/ the idea of getting an E55 and sell this ride, but I think I"m gonna keep it afterall. Maybe later I'll slap a Kleemann s/c on it, who know
Old 12-20-2003, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C300
A supercharger from a 2002 C32 with only 5K miles just sold for $750 on ebay. You could have slapped that on you engine Doc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Am I overreacting? E420 badged as E55...