W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on handling service dept and fuel smell issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
Suggestions on handling service dept and fuel smell issues?

Filled up about 5pm yesterday and went out to the garage this morning only to smell gasoline as soon as I walked into the garage. Opening the car validated my concern -- fuel vapor smell in the cabin.

This car has been into the dealership and had the fuel level sensor seal replaced because it was leaking and that apparently fixed it for the time being.

I went ahead and submitted this issue on the NHTSA website so there could be another record of this happening. Took it into the dealership this morning, so if anyone has an approach that seems to work with dealerships, please let me know. Looks like the last "fix" was done as good will, so it will be interesting to see how this goes.

Sigh...
Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Let us know if your dealer fixes it for free, as after all these years, most have been paying out of pocket it seems.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 07-28-2014, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
You might need part number AK47.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................!
Old 08-01-2014, 09:54 AM

N/A
So, just to close the loop on this -- it was the driver's side sending unit that had cracked apparently. The passenger's side and the fuel tank had already been replaced in the vehicle's history before I had it. This trip? $1,400. I was told that the driver's side unit was more expensive because the fuel pump is part of it or something to that effect.

Anyway, life goes on and the car is supposedly better now. Just thought I'd follow-up.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
450 is the cost for the driver side unit, pricing on both the units are within 50 bucks of each other
Old 08-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG on Ethanol-Meth; 600rwhp BMW M5
The driver side is the sender unit basket with the fuel filter and NOT the fuel pumps. Make sure you call those clowns back and tell them, so they dont tell another customer that.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
ouch...you should've had them both replaced at that price...next time find a reputable indy and you can get them both done for less...
Old 08-02-2014, 12:26 PM

N/A
So actually it was $575/labor and $590/parts for the sending unit itself. The only reason I took it to MB was to see if I could push to get some goodwill out of it, which I didn't. They didn't budge and I really didn't have a lot of leverage since I didn't buy the car there AND they had already replaced the pass. side sending unit on goodwill in the past.

But, yes, I have a reputable indy shop here that I take it to otherwise. I just felt like I might have an opportunity with them and would honestly rather give the indy shop my money anyway (not to mention that they'd be quicker).

Now I'm trying to baking soda + coffee grind the fuel smell out of the car. Thanks for all of your responses.