W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eurocharge Tune and Win 8.1...Please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
Eurocharge Tune and Win 8.1...Please help!

I am trying to open the Eurocharge tune on my Win 8.1 machine. I have run as admin, turned off virus and firewalls. The software won't open. Tried on another machine I have Win 8.1 and same exact issue.

A rep for Eurocharged says 8.1 works yet can not tell me why it does not work for me or how it worked for them.

Eurocharge rep says to find an old laptop. I am new to the state I live in and do not have that option to just call a friend with an old Win 7 machine laying around. Frankly, it would have been more convenient to mail the ECU in at this point.

Can any of you provide insight on this one? Has anyone successfully tuned using Win 8.1? If so, what did you do to get it to work?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
I've never had luck with it, either. I've tried compatibility mode several different ways, running as admin, etc.

I had to dig out a shiddy old netbook and it worked just fine. I did have to manually install the USB drivers, though.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:05 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
Unfortunately same here. I ended up having to get an older laptop with windows 8 in order for it to work which is frustrating because I have DAS running on my win 8.1 laptop. I hope they get it working on there soon.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
same here. 8.1 did not work. It would just look busy for a bit and then do nothing. I also tried as admin all compatibility modes, turned of virus, malware and firewall. I had to run on win 7 machine as admin.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
Try running it inside of a Win 7 virtual machine if you don't have an older laptop.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I had to wait until I could re-install Win 7.

Worse come to worse. Partition the hard drive and install win 7 on your existing laptop.

They should really update their software.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
It could be worse. The could be using something with a mothereffing serial port on it (looking at you, Zeitronix!). Oh, you don't have a laptop with a serial port? Probably because they stopped putting them on computers around 12 years ago. Oh, but they make serial to USB adapters. Well, good luck finding one with the correct chipset inside that will work with the ZT-2 (third one was the lucky one for me). Then, be sure to have a blast trying to track down the proper drivers, manually installing them, and then getting on the right COM port.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 CL600
Originally Posted by viren.89
I had to wait until I could re-install Win 7.

Worse come to worse. Partition the hard drive and install win 7 on your existing laptop.

They should really update their software.

^This. Honestly it isn't for us to figure out, it is the tuner's responsibility to make sure their software works with current OS versions. *IF* you can't find/don't have an older laptop running Windows 7 (which are becoming very hard to come by) there should be an alternative. Software isn't going backwards, it's going forwards. Many of us have this issue and I'm sure others across other platforms aside from MB do as well. We need some attention to get this working on current OS versions.

Regards
Old 08-13-2014, 08:56 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
8.1 was a pretty hearty change of the windows code, so it will take some time to get it working properly with it, as well as all the testing involved (broken ECU's are not a good thing!)

That being said..

Windows 7 is very hard to come by? From someone who works in the corporate IT field I would have to disagree. Overall acceptance of W8 vs W7 is dismal at best. 75% of the corporate space has no plans to roll out W8 and will look at W9 when it hits next spring.

From a pure numbers standpoint overall W8 only has 10% of the market vs W7 which is 48%.

Gotta love microsoft lol...
Old 08-13-2014, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG
You can get a serial port on new Panasonic Toughbooks, if you want to fork over that kind of cash...though you may find cheaper alternatives on fleabay. YMMV
Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by loungn14
8.1 was a pretty hearty change of the windows code, so it will take some time to get it working properly with it, as well as all the testing involved (broken ECU's are not a good thing!)

That being said..

Windows 7 is very hard to come by? From someone who works in the corporate IT field I would have to disagree. Overall acceptance of W8 vs W7 is dismal at best. 75% of the corporate space has no plans to roll out W8 and will look at W9 when it hits next spring.

From a pure numbers standpoint overall W8 only has 10% of the market vs W7 which is 48%.

But even on Win 7 the software isn't optimized to run smoothly.

All of my drivers are up to date and laptop itself has Win 7 from factory - at the end I get a message saying "Some packets might not have been sent". I survived that cuz the car started afterwards but someone who DD this car that message is basically screen of death lol
Old 08-13-2014, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon

That being said..

Jake, are you then saying that someone is actually working on resolving this issue? Do you have an ETA? Will you be adding ability to change parameters (fuel maps) as promised originally?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:17 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by Lenin
Jake, are you then saying that someone is actually working on resolving this issue? Do you have an ETA? Will you be adding ability to change parameters (fuel maps) as promised originally?
no eta but it is being worked on, and the fuel map changing was put on the back burner for now until we can find a way to make it safer with less risk.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:30 AM

2006 CL600

That being said..

Win 7 is easy to find yes, but if I'm going to spend $100 on a copy of it or spend $399 on a new laptop, which do you think I would choose? And guess what comes preloaded on a new laptop? Thanks for all the numbers but it really isn't a fix which is what we're looking for.
Regards
Old 08-13-2014, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG
A new laptop can be purchased with Win 7 pre-installed; typically in that scenario you also have the option to upgrade to Win 8/Win 8.1 if you so desire.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:21 PM

2005 E55 silver
i'm in littleton and have a windows 8 laptop..i'm pretty sure its not updated to 8.1 but would need to check. send me a pm and perhaps we can meet...if it needs internet i can use my phone as a hotspot.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:55 AM

2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
Originally Posted by E55Freak
i'm in littleton and have a windows 8 laptop..i'm pretty sure its not updated to 8.1 but would need to check. send me a pm and perhaps we can meet...if it needs internet i can use my phone as a hotspot.
Thanks for the offer! My concern would be two things, one I have to send them the ECU info prior to flashing and two I would be pretty concerned having to tow the vehicle home provided it did not work.

I have sent them an email yesterday but have yet to receive a reply. I would have had this handled by now by just removing the ECU and mailing it. I was lead on to believe the only thing preventing 8.1 from working was the firewall. I thought easy enough by disabling it. This was not the case. A rep from Eurocharged logged into my computer to try and get it to work but he was not able to. It was interesting watching him try all the same things I had already tried myself to get it resolved.

Currently I am at a stand still, waiting to hear back from Eurocharged since yesterday. From what I gather they do not have a way to run 8.1. I'd sure appreciate them leaving a disclosure that says (***Not compatible with Win 8.1) in their website. Instead the rep told me "The software works with all windows".
Old 08-14-2014, 06:22 PM

2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
***Update***

While trying to get this resolved I decided to update my computer as I like to keep up on. I had just updated it yesterday but as I looked today there was a large (optional) update sitting there waiting to be installed. I install and for S and Gs I decided to try the Euro software again...It opened!

Keep in mind I was not successful with two computers prior so I realized this was a result of the Windows update. I update the other computer and bam, it worked!

So off to the garage I go and get the vehicle info and send off to Euro. Jerry was very responsive and got me a tune back in 10 minutes. I went back and spent another 10 minutes with my fingers and toes crossed hoping the tune completes. It completed with the oh so common "packets lost" window but said successful. Turned off the key, disconnected everything and thankfully the car fired up.

I have not driven it yet as it started raining and I had just slaved over the car yesterday making it all beautiful. Once the rain disappears which in Denver is in about 10 minutes I'll drive it.

So here is how to get 8.1 to work:

*Download latest Windows updates including optional updates. The update that made mine work is: Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2975719) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2975719 (Optional).

**Turn off Windows Firewall AND Windows Defender including any 3rd party firewall or anti-virus software you may have installed. Be sure you open the Euro software AFTER you disable this software as it will not take if you try while Euro is open.

Other than that you should be good!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:14 PM

2005 E55 silver
Good find..Eurocharged should give you the tune free since you solved their software bug/issue and they had no idea what to do...haha
Old 08-15-2014, 04:06 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Confirmed. I installed the latest updates on our PC here that runs 8.1 and it now works fine. Thanks for helping out!!

-Jacob