W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chassis mount for diff completely fallen off!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 09:59 AM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
2004 W211 E55 AMG >>gone but not forgotten > W123 280E > W124 E280 > W126 380SE
Chassis mount for diff completely fallen off!

Put the car back on the road a couple of days ago after installing new Arnott shocks and suspension bushes on the rear (amongst numerous other things). I wasn't sure specifically what the problem was other than being torque induced as it manifested itself as a loud clank at the back when launching one day. After this it initially felt like quite a serious problem and very loose "somewhere" at the rear. By the time I drove it the following day though I breathed a sigh if relief as it didn't seem nearly as bad as I remembered it feeling the previous night. Whatever had gone wrong had appeared to settle and I continued driving like this for 2 or 3 months afterwards although I ordered the rear shocks before deciding it was probably a bush so ordered them also.

Anyway cut to this week and we install all new parts, take the beast for a cruise and realise there is still an issue. (actually we thought maybe the shock wasn't seated right) until tonight I turn a corner and BIG CLANK - something definitely ain't right there. Checked behind the rear wheel and this is what we discovered - the chassis mount for the diff had completely fallen off!:

Obviously the problem all along! Seems a little surprising that Mercedes would have engineered this part so that this issue could even occur. Has anyone else experienced similar? The original bolt was unusable as it had been bent and the thread of the nut/locator was stripped so we had to work an alternative solution.

Last edited by TheTherapist; 08-18-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
Yep. It usually means you are beginning to make respectable levels of power. I had it happen on both sides.

Fortunately, the fix isn't too bad. We used some plate steel to "sandwich" the affected area where the bolt ripped out, then used high strength steel bolts and large heavy duty washers to distribute the force.

Pics aren't the greatest, but here are some I took of one of my sides:

Accessed from the side in the wheel well:

Here you can see the bottom piece of bread in my sandwich:

Old 08-17-2014, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Yes this has happened to quie a few torque monster E55s & S55s.
Just the byproduct of a good launch. AKA dead body in the trunk noise.