Fuel filler cap door won't lock anymore

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 01:47 AM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Fuel filler cap door won't lock anymore

Hi,

I read a few other postings about this issue but it seems like others didn't have the exact same issue with their car. This is why I opened a new thread.

The rod that locks the fuel filler cap door doesn't move anymore. Upon locking the vehicle I can hear how the rod hits the metal of the car but won't come through the whole and lock the door. I removed the right hand side trunk panel but there is no way of getting to the actuator motor as explained in WIS.

Who had the same experience and can help me fix this. The motor works, the fuse is ok and the 2 relais are OK, too.

It seems like for some reason the rod is not aligned with this hole anymore.

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E55
It's always a bad day when your rod doesn't hit the hole.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Originally Posted by Mackhack
Hi,

I read a few other postings about this issue but it seems like others didn't have the exact same issue with their car. This is why I opened a new thread.

The rod that locks the fuel filler cap door doesn't move anymore. Upon locking the vehicle I can hear how the rod hits the metal of the car but won't come through the whole and lock the door. I removed the right hand side trunk panel but there is no way of getting to the actuator motor as explained in WIS.

Who had the same experience and can help me fix this. The motor works, the fuse is ok and the 2 relais are OK, too.

It seems like for some reason the rod is not aligned with this hole anymore.

Thanks.
My car did this too..I too could hear the rod trying to move but when you actually remove it you will realize the motor is bad...It is a REAL PITA to replace (I tried for ~30 minutes and then brought it to Benzworks ...)
Old 08-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Banned

How much did they chaege you? I bought the motor used and wanted to replace it but there is just no way of getting in the space.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
How much did they chaege you? I bought the motor used and wanted to replace it but there is just no way of getting in the space.
The motor brand new is super cheap ($33) and would not recommend putting in a used one (but that is just me). I was charged ~1 hr to replace the motor.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Banned

I wanna fix this myself. If they can get to it, I should be able to, too.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
I wanna fix this myself. If they can get to it, I should be able to, too.
Agreed, but I played around for 30 + minutes and could not figure out how, so I just spent the $$...Seriously tight quarters in there (awful design) and I have no idea how Nick or Serge were able to get their hands back there. Good luck
Old 08-24-2014, 09:22 PM
Banned

I spend about the same amount of time. One thing though. Cars are designed to be built as easy and fast as possible at an assembly line. It's not designed to be easy maintained. If you every have the chance to go on a tour through a plant do it and you will notice exactly that.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Banned

I just checked again and it seems like WIS shows a huge opening and one could directly access the motor. BUT: In my case there is a piece of metal welded right in front of the motor blocking the entire access to the motor. That's why I had such a hard time to access the location of where the motor is located. Is your car build the same way?
Old 08-25-2014, 08:49 PM
Banned

Never mind. I reopened it and it took me literally 5 minutes to replace it. I was blind when it came to the two screws. The design is perfect and it couldn't have been done easier IMHO.

And needless to say, the motor works perfect, it was not peoperly aligned and hit the cars wall instead sliding through the hole.

Last edited by Mackhack; 08-25-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Never mind. I reopened it and it took me literally 5 minutes to replace it. I was blind when it came to the two screws. The design is perfect and it couldn't have been done easier IMHO.

And needless to say, the motor works perfect, it was not peoperly aligned and hit the cars wall instead sliding through the hole.
Nice job...I have no idea how it took you 5 minutes as it took me longer just to remove the liner and even then I could not get my hand back there...Glad you were able to fix it!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:54 PM
Banned

No the liner took 5 min but the actual change took 5 min. I removed the spring and then you can easily get behind the trunk lid bar. Unscrew the 2 motor mount screws and it falls down. There you can unplug the motor and pull the motor backward out of that cave. To push it back in you do it in reverse. There is also a tube where the rod needs to to in. That is to guide the rod out through the hole.