W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Nitrous is NOTHING more than a novelty at best..

Old 08-29-2014, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by EREBUS
Again, you are a fine example why some mothers eat their young.
You said that same lame comment in your Dyno Clinic ramblings... Besides dumbazz this, dikhead that, shove it, etc you're perpetually mired in a 3rd grade mentality.. You got that 1 gem from your disapproving Principal didn't you..

Edit: I could play you mentally like a fiddle all night, but all this nitrous talk has suddenly made me a convert, I need to get up early and hit the Pep Boys an snag me a NOS kit

Last edited by Thericker; 08-29-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
Damn , you guys are goofy with all this bickering!!

Boostiality- Both N20 and Meth are both a chemical compound, yes but they do different things. N20,Blowers and Turbos all do the same thing, in a different manner. They all enrich the density of the oxygen per a given swept volume. The blower/turbo does this via pressure, and the N2O does this chemically.

You could compare a meth injection to a N2O kit by saying its similar to half of a N2O kit, lacking the O2 enrichment side of the system. Technically you could use a meth kit as the supplementary fuel for a dry nitrous kit , but at that point you just might as well get rid of the meth and use gas because you have to spray twice the volume of meth as you would gas to make the same amount of power.

Originally Posted by boostiality
I will have to respectfully disagree with you in the comparison to blowers/turbos as these are not chemically injected into the engine.

Yes blowers/turbos/n2o all generate artificial atmosphere, however in the most fundamental way they operate you have to concede that by using n2o or meth that we're just injecting a chemical(s) into the power equation right?

Ricker: be it running out of juice or meth, you are correct in considering these two as novelty acts but personally I'd rather have the condom and not need it then to need it and not have one.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
I will have to respectfully disagree with you in the comparison to blowers/turbos as these are not chemically injected into the engine.

Yes blowers/turbos/n2o all generate artificial atmosphere, however in the most fundamental way they operate you have to concede that by using n2o or meth that we're just injecting a chemical(s) into the power equation right?

Ricker: be it running out of juice or meth, you are correct in considering these two as novelty acts but personally I'd rather have the condom and not need it then to need it and not have one.
Actually you are NOT injecting a "chemical" into the engine with nitrous unless you want to call oxygen a chemical....if so then a supercharger and turbo are all compressing said chemical and injecting it into an engine.
Molecular formula for nitrous is N2O i.e. Nitrous Oxide. It has two Nitrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom. Nitrogen is absolutely nonflammable and is also makes up ~79% of the air we breathe.

So since there is more nitrogen in the air than in N2O, why do we use it? In actuality it is completely useless in an engine except for ONE property.....The ability to get cold as f*** when compressed. What actually burns and makes power is the Oxygen and Oxygen alone.

So why not used compressed Oxygen? Well that burns waaaaaaaay too hot and high levels of oxygen in your combustion chamber will result in melted pistons and cylinder blocks.

No chemical injection here, just a controlled way to inject more oxygen into your engine, one that has been compressed already for you before you even mount into your car (N20 tanks). Whereas with turbos and superchargers, you do the oxygen/air compression under the hood.

With meth you are doing just that, injecting a chemical into the engine. Why the difference? Well while methanol is naturally occurring as well, its an insignificant factor where internal combustion engines are concerned. You really use it for the chemical properties of cooling intake charge and allow you to run more timing and leaner mixtures without detonation.

Last edited by kponti; 08-29-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by EREBUS
A little ironic the OP starts this thread after I ask for help with nitrous.

That video of the jeep has been out for a while......nothing new. So out of the blue nitrous bashing.....really? Somebody cue blackbenzz. lol
I see you're still butt hurt over me teaching you how to read your own dyno (You even admitted you were wrong in your thread). Keep my name out of your mouth unless you want to get schooled again. You act like an elementary school kid throwing insults when you have nothing of substance to say. Just keep your mouth shut and save face.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 336 Likes on 288 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
We're all ears here homie, do tell about your set up if you have one on your e55.

If we're going down this road of discounting injected performance, we should do the same with meth. Their both priced similarly, they both require tuning and life sucks when you run out juice.
You are very correct ...but You also have to understand its a different type of "life style" so to speak. Its alot more "work" to be on the bottle and you must do your homework and do it well. Life does suck when your on empty. I know this is a bad example but here goes. I bought my first E55 a while back and the biggest concern I had was the color. I had to have black but on the other hand I knew I would be washing, wipeing down and waxing it constantly because of "black" showing every spec of dust, not to mention the car is like a microwave in the summer sitting outside all the time. If I had gone with siver , that color hides alot and would be much easyer. So I picked black knowing the up keep would be far more than a lighter color. Nitrous is the same thing , much much more attention to detail,upkeep and work as compared to turbo or blower ...those you just get in and go and its always there for you.

Last edited by SICAMG; 08-29-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge
HeissRod: There is a pressure relief valve that will prevent that from happening. The scary thing is when people heat the bottle up with a flame over and over, weakening the structure. The relief valve just got moved!

I have a question about nitrous "haters".... What difference is it if you put on a blower, turbo, headers, different heads, cam, different ratio rockers, bigger heat exchanger, etc.? You are doing a mod to make more power. Why discriminate?
I don't care if people run nitrous, but I do judge them a bit. It's always seemed like a band-aid for a weak(er) motor/platform.

I wouldn't call myself a "hater", but having another tank to fill isn't worth my time (I also don't have to win every race).

Reminds me, I need to refill my bike's turbo and my car's blower...

See what I mean?
Old 08-29-2014, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by SICAMG
You are very correct ...but You also have to understand its a different type of "life style" so to speak. Its alot more "work" to be on the bottle and you must do your homework and do it well. Life does suck your on empty. I know this is a bad example but here goes. I bought my first E55 6 a while back and the biggest concern I had was the color. I had to have black but on the other hand I knew I would be washing, wipeing down and waxing it constantly because of "black" showing every spec of dust, not to mention the car is a microwave in the summer sitting outside. If I had gone with siver , that color hides alot and would be much easyer. So I picked black knowing the up keep would be far more than a lighter color. Nitrous is the same thing , much much more attention to detail,upkeep and work as compared to turbo or blower ...those you just get in and go and its always there for you.
Yep you are very right about one thing....it is a very bad example with cars as you posted.

I am guessing you have never put a supercharger or turbocharger on a car that did not come out of the factory with said power adder right? The upkeep and work is very much much higher on those two than N2O

N2O is simple, should only be activated after certain rpm, timing should be retarded to safer limits, and enough fuel when it kicks.
Nitrous is thus safer than other power adders in the sense that you can add your own source of fuel for the kit (wet systems).

Problems with nitrous is the same as with anything that is much easier to reach for the masses....its very cheap introductory price. That allows people who will not take the time to put together a much safer worthwhile setup (a lot of times, idiots) to slap it on their Dodge Neons and Honda Civics and with no supporting mods, end up with blown engines.

If you could buy turbos for less than $1000 complete, there will be just as many blown engines from that as nitrous....in fact there will be more than with N2O
Old 08-29-2014, 11:58 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by kponti
Actually you are NOT injecting a "chemical" into the engine with nitrous unless you want to call oxygen a chemical....if so then a supercharger and turbo are all compressing said chemical and injecting it into an engine.
Molecular formula for nitrous is N2O i.e. Nitrous Oxide. It has two Nitrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom. Nitrogen is absolutely nonflammable and is also makes up ~79% of the air we breathe.

So since there is more nitrogen in the air than in N2O, why do we use it? In actuality it is completely useless in an engine except for ONE property.....The ability to get cold as f*** when compressed. What actually burns and makes power is the Oxygen and Oxygen alone.

So why not used compressed Oxygen? Well that burns waaaaaaaay too hot and high levels of oxygen in your combustion chamber will result in melted pistons and cylinder blocks.

No chemical injection here, just a controlled way to inject more oxygen into your engine, one that has been compressed already for you before you even mount into your car (N20 tanks). Whereas with turbos and superchargers, you do the oxygen/air compression under the hood.

With meth you are doing just that, injecting a chemical into the engine. Why the difference? Well while methanol is naturally occurring as well, its an insignificant factor where internal combustion engines are concerned. You really use it for the chemical properties of cooling intake charge and allow you to run more timing and leaner mixtures without detonation.
BINGO! You beat me too it! I guess I was too busy reading all this BS on this post.

The only ones that think nitrous is cheating are those getting beat by nitrous...in thier turbo/supercharged/modified cars.

They should drag a banner behind them while going down the track that states "BUT, BUT, BUT he is running Nitrous while I am only running a turbo/blower" WAH!
Old 08-29-2014, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
I'm not a fan of nitrous, as already mentioned, but claiming that it's cheating is just silly. Mods are mods. Anything goes if you can get your car to perform better.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
"[QUOTE=kponti;6151702]Yep you are very right about one thing....it is a very bad example with cars as you posted."

"I am guessing you have never put a supercharger or turbocharger on a car that did not come out of the factory with said power adder right? The upkeep and work is very much much higher on those two than n2o."

Yes very poor example but trying to make a point on up keep and "createing" more work for your self.

Yes one turbo and 3 supercharged. The last supercharged set up was turn key every day with a check of the cog belt here and there. Every spring a new belt would go on for the hell of it and that was it. Again if you do not have the insight than you will have problems. The problems usually take some time and help from others to iron the bugs out as best as possible. The DFI, Wide Band and EGT data logging features on my Big Stuff systems helped 10 fold and was the best things I discoverd in engine building. The more you learn the better off you are in just about everything performance wise.

Last edited by SICAMG; 08-29-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by kponti

I think your reading into what I said too deeply sir. I'm simply speaking on how these are both fundamentally applied. Maybe injection is too strong a word, how about artificially introducing oxygen, meth, etc into a system on levels that do not occur naturally?

No matter how you cut it, these types of things are supplemental to the equation of making more power as they both can potentially run out and thus leaving you with less power. Personally I'd rather be carrying then be caught with my pants down
Old 08-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Nitrous is not "cheating" but I prefer to always have the power available when needed. Not just when my bottle is full at the correct pressure etc etc. Plus I don't like refilling the bottles all the time. Not to mention it is illegal to run on the street. I have tried it in the past and it works great especially when sprayed through the blower.

If we are talking about an E55 with nitrous, then we are talking two power adders. I wouldn't compare it to a boost only E55. Obviously the nitrous car would have an extra power adder.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Charger Hellcat
Everyone is entitled to their opinion about nitrous but to say how it's a "novelty" or "cheating" is just plain childish.. I believe as stated above,if you're complaining about it then you've been beaten by a nitrous car or afraid to use it because "it blows your motor".. I've been running nitrous for some time with no issues,as long as your tune is right,you're good.. You guys arguing with Thericker are just wasting your time as you're not going to change his opinion..
Old 08-29-2014, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by 305-E55
Everyone is entitled to their opinion about nitrous but to say how it's a "novelty" or "cheating" is just plain childish.. I believe as stated above,if you're complaining about it then you've been beaten by a nitrous car or afraid to use it because "it blows your motor".. I've been running nitrous for some time with no issues,as long as your tune is right,you're good.. You guys arguing with Thericker are just wasting your time as you're not going to change his opinion..
Edit: all this nitrous talk has suddenly made me a convert, I need to get up early and hit the Pep Boys an snag me a NOS kit
You missed this post at the top of this page.. Live & let live I admit & don't deny it's hella kool seeing crazy traps & low 1/4's like yours & Stephens ole w220 s600 he sprayed that Barge to 10.5 @ 134 again super kool but not my thing.. I digress & shouldn't have broached my thread the way I did..
Old 08-29-2014, 11:10 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
2004 W211 E55 AMG >>gone but not forgotten > W123 280E > W124 E280 > W126 380SE
Originally Posted by Rob CL
I don't care if people run nitrous, but I do judge them a bit.
^^ That sums it up nicely. ^^

... as for the rest of this thread ...

Old 08-30-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
SICamg. I thought it was a great example. I can drive my car 50,000 miles and only need to replace the belt and change the oil of my supercharger. If I drove 50,000 miles using N20 I would be constantly filling bottles. Just like your black car / silver car example. You would have many more detail hours into black over silver.

I switched sides and went with the American made E55 aka CTSV. I don't comment much on these threads because many don't like to read posts about a Cadillac on a MB forum. I get it. My comments below could be for either platform though so here goes.

My first CTSV was a simple tune and pulley car. It was pretty fast at 544 HP best 1/8 mile (1/4 mile tracks are too far away) 7.8 at 100 mph on drag radials. It's limitation for mods was the clutch for the manual transmission which takes me to my second CTSV

My 13 wagon is an automatic. When planning mods there were tons of options just like we face (past tense for me) when modding the E55. Cam's, headers, pullies, superchargers or turbos. Turbo kits are 10k and up. Too much for my budget. After market superchargers don't seem to work well for Cadillac's but I know there are some nice kits for the E55 but I don't know what that costs or reliability or how much labor to sort it out properly. Bottom line for me and maybe some of you is that over 600 hp on street tires becomes counter productive. Yes it's cool spinning in the first 3 gears but it really takes drag radials to tame all that horsepower.

The way I set my car up was with some very minor bolt ons for the street and more specifically, the limitations of street tires for daily driving. I then bought a drag pack set up for racing and installed a Nitrous SYSTEM for racing or driving on my drag radials.

To me this is not cheating. It's a planned out method to reach my horsepower goals and to extract a ton of horsepower for my car and my driving style.

I daily drive my car, often with clients in it. I didn't want an obnoxious exhaust note, surging and shaking camshaft or a temperamental tune. Nitrous fit me perfectly at a great value. It's there when I want or need it, extremely reliable and easy to use. I literally twist a valve and flip the arm button, bottle heater switches and that's it. When I hit WOT and the engine rpm goes to 3k it sprays until the RPM reaches 6,500 and it shuts off to shift into the next gear and we do it again.

The performance is impressive. On street tires I have 575 hp. Typical summer weather times are 7.5 at 97 mph. On Drag radials it's 700 hp and 6.8 at 105mph. The other cool thing about this system is it's adjustability. I could easily adjust the horsepower into the 800 range, catch me a winter track rental at MIR and runs low 10 or possibly run a 9.xx 1/4.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by Hotrod-Realtor
SICamg. I thought it was a great example. I can drive my car 50,000 miles and only need to replace the belt and change the oil of my supercharger. If I drove 50,000 miles using N20 I would be constantly filling bottles. Just like your black car / silver car example. You would have many more detail hours into black over silver.

I switched sides and went with the American made E55 aka CTSV. I don't comment much on these threads because many don't like to read posts about a Cadillac on a MB forum. I get it. My comments below could be for either platform though so here goes.

My first CTSV was a simple tune and pulley car. It was pretty fast at 544 HP best 1/8 mile (1/4 mile tracks are too far away) 7.8 at 100 mph on drag radials. It's limitation for mods was the clutch for the manual transmission which takes me to my second CTSV

My 13 wagon is an automatic. When planning mods there were tons of options just like we face (past tense for me) when modding the E55. Cam's, headers, pullies, superchargers or turbos. Turbo kits are 10k and up. Too much for my budget. After market superchargers don't seem to work well for Cadillac's but I know there are some nice kits for the E55 but I don't know what that costs or reliability or how much labor to sort it out properly. Bottom line for me and maybe some of you is that over 600 hp on street tires becomes counter productive. Yes it's cool spinning in the first 3 gears but it really takes drag radials to tame all that horsepower.

The way I set my car up was with some very minor bolt ons for the street and more specifically, the limitations of street tires for daily driving. I then bought a drag pack set up for racing and installed a Nitrous SYSTEM for racing or driving on my drag radials.

To me this is not cheating. It's a planned out method to reach my horsepower goals and to extract a ton of horsepower for my car and my driving style.

I daily drive my car, often with clients in it. I didn't want an obnoxious exhaust note, surging and shaking camshaft or a temperamental tune. Nitrous fit me perfectly at a great value. It's there when I want or need it, extremely reliable and easy to use. I literally twist a valve and flip the arm button, bottle heater switches and that's it. When I hit WOT and the engine rpm goes to 3k it sprays until the RPM reaches 6,500 and it shuts off to shift into the next gear and we do it again.

The performance is impressive. On street tires I have 575 hp. Typical summer weather times are 7.5 at 97 mph. On Drag radials it's 700 hp and 6.8 at 105mph. The other cool thing about this system is it's adjustability. I could easily adjust the horsepower into the 800 range, catch me a winter track rental at MIR and runs low 10 or possibly run a 9.xx ]
Nice Warren! Looks good! I bet that lite wagon shocks a lot of people!
Old 08-30-2014, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are there no aftermarket clutches available to support the power?
Old 08-30-2014, 03:41 PM

CTS-V 2013 Wagon
Originally Posted by emoving
Nice Warren! Looks good! I bet that lite wagon shocks a lot of people!
It does. What's really cool is all the people that stop to talk about it and take photos.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:44 PM

CTS-V 2013 Wagon
Originally Posted by HeissRod
Are there no aftermarket clutches available to support the power?
There are more now. Center force is a good one but they have a few mixed reviews.
The stock clutch works great on the street but when you add sticky tires and 100+ horsepower they slip on the track. Plus the auto is faster.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The stock clutch works great on the street but when you add sticky tires and 100+ horsepower they slip on the track. Plus the auto is faster.
I really want a 6M wagon, so I was hoping this wasn't an issue.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
Hotrod Realter..... those pictures are fantastic !!!!!!! That's what I like to see. !!! When I used to run a Pontiac firebird years ago in top end speed trials I ran four nos bottles in the back seat and they fed a 450hp 3stage system. Yeeehaa!!

Last edited by SICAMG; 09-22-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Thericker, you and I got into it the first day I showed up here, and here we are agreeing.. what is the world coming to???

Nitrous is just gay (no offense to the gay guys here- Denroll for one)
Old 09-22-2014, 07:10 PM

CTS-V 2013 Wagon
Originally Posted by SICAMG
Hotrod Realter..... those pictures are fantastic !!!!!!! That's what I like to see. !!! When I used to run a Pontiac firebird years ago in top end speed trials I ran four nos bottles in the back seat and they fed a 450hp 3stage system. Yeeehaa!!
Thanks SICAMG. When I was talking with the builder he said I should get an extra bottle because they work best when full. 3-4 passes is when I should change to a fresh bottle. I have seen two bottle systems and asked why I couldn't do that instead of a single. He agreed and that's why there are two bottles.
I'm only running a 100 shot so it's pretty good on needing to refill. Last time I went to the 1/8 mile track I ran 2 qualifying passes and went 3 rounds. The next time I went to the track and ran 2 more passes. When I went to fill them they only took 1.5 lbs.
I can't imagine how fast you went through bottles with a 450 hp setup.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Edited

Last edited by Thericker; 09-23-2014 at 01:37 AM.