W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Airmatic compressor pumps but still no good?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2014 | 02:43 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Airmatic compressor pumps but still no good?

Is it possibly for the airmatic compressor to still turn on but not have enough pressure for the system to work properly?

I can't seem to find ANY major leaks, I literally took everything apart and checked every fitting and every line!

But for some reason the system still doesn't build up enough pressure, I don't get it.

The compressor "sounds" normal and is about 2 years old, so I'm super confused.
Old 08-28-2014 | 02:54 PM

2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Originally Posted by cwmateiuc
Is it possibly for the airmatic compressor to still turn on but not have enough pressure for the system to work properly?

I can't seem to find ANY major leaks, I literally took everything apart and checked every fitting and every line!

But for some reason the system still doesn't build up enough pressure, I don't get it.

The compressor "sounds" normal and is about 2 years old, so I'm super confused.
What's the issue with your car?
Old 08-28-2014 | 02:59 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by biggking
What's the issue with your car?
Car won't raise up. Pretty much sitting on the ground. Can't find a leak anywhere, have the bath seats off, the trunk apart, car jacked up, front bumper off, I literally checked all of the lines.

The code is leak in the system, when I do the pneumatic test, the compressor doesn't get anywhere near the required pressure.

But, from what I have read, it says that if the compressor turns on, it's usually okay?
Old 08-28-2014 | 03:07 PM

Car won't raise up. Pretty much sitting on the ground. Can't find a leak anywhere, have the bath seats off, the trunk apart, car jacked up, front bumper off, I literally checked all of the lines.

The code is leak in the system, when I do the pneumatic test, the compressor doesn't get anywhere near the required pressure.

But, from what I have read, it says that if the compressor turns on, it's usually okay?
Might be your compressor. Just because it turns on means nothing. The compressor has internal valves that are opened/closed depending on the information sensors are receiving. History of the car? I highly doubt all 4 air bags took a crap, but who knows?

Honestly I would start by checking air lines AFTER the compressor to the valve block.
Old 08-28-2014 | 03:34 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Might be your compressor. Just because it turns on means nothing. The compressor has internal valves that are opened/closed depending on the information sensors are receiving. History of the car? I highly doubt all 4 air bags took a crap, but who knows?

Honestly I would start by checking air lines AFTER the compressor to the valve block.
Okay awesome, thank you. Yes I have checked everything, sprayed everything with soapy water while running multiple tests with SDS. I even took parts of the compressor apart, everything still looks brand new!

I will get a compressor and hopefully this solves my issue.

One weird thing to note though, I was able to slowly get three corners of my car to raise, except for the left front, the pressure went up (monitoring via STAR) but it did not raise, or at least not enough for me to notice.

But this would have to be a separate issue since the valve is working on the strut, so the system should still build up pressure during the test, even if I did have a leaky strut (which I had no symptons of whatsoever beforehand).
Old 08-28-2014 | 03:36 PM

Okay awesome, thank you. Yes I have checked everything, sprayed everything with soapy water while running multiple tests with SDS. I even took parts of the compressor apart, everything still looks brand new!

I will get a compressor and hopefully this solves my issue.

One weird thing to note though, I was able to slowly get three corners of my car to raise, except for the left front, the pressure went up (monitoring via STAR) but it did not raise, or at least not enough for me to notice.

But this would have to be a separate issue since the valve is working on the strut, so the system should still build up pressure during the test, even if I did have a leaky strut (which I had no symptons of whatsoever beforehand).
You might have a very weak pump, it naturally happens. I have a spare pump in my garage if you'd like to buy/test.
Old 08-29-2014 | 12:35 PM

2006 E55 AMG
You might have a very weak pump, it naturally happens. I have a spare pump in my garage if you'd like to buy/test.
Awesome! Where are you located?

Trending Topics

Old 08-29-2014 | 01:25 PM
Banned

Speedriven
If you can hook it up to star, you can run a compressor efficiency/output test.
Old 08-29-2014 | 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
My compressor only delivered 6 to 7 bar after running for 40 seconds.

I replaced it and the new one generated 14 bar within about 10 to 15 seconds.

replace the pump or at least the pump piston ring.
Old 08-29-2014 | 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Any pictures or guides for this? Seems like everyone else wants $500 for a new pump and a used one still runs about 1/2 that if you're lucky.
Old 08-29-2014 | 04:19 PM

2006 E55 AMG
They're cheaper than that new.

There's a guy that has a website that sells a kit.

I think there's a YouTube video with it that explains everything, I'll have to find out
Old 08-29-2014 | 04:20 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Quadcammer

That's what I was dreading thanks, that's what I figured at this point.