Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM radio installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XM radio installed

Installed a new XM Commander radio in the ash tray area. Had to get rid of the lighter plug, but is a very clean install and includes a remote. Comes with a new small antenna, mounted on the trunk. Not too visible with the dark paint. Have to say it works very well using a simple FM modulator (only trick is you have to turn it off when listening to regular radio, or signal is degraded).

Have pics, if anyone can host I'll gladly provide.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S4
did your install affect any of your stereo's wiring?
Old 12-31-2003, 08:50 AM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
Sounds like a nice install except for your FM modulator. That would be the weak link. I use an FM modulator in my GMC Envoy to transmit the audio from the DVD to the stereo and depending on where I'm at, it's not the best solution.

I know that the 04's have a SAT button. Does your '03? Why not wait for the Sirius factory radio?
Old 12-31-2003, 04:38 PM

Inevitably there are trade-offs and the FM modulator is one of them. There are no inputs into the stereo (Aux or satellite), so this is the only way to go without a lot of complexity. The FM modulator is the only interface with the stereo, no impact on wiring. Still, sounds pretty good (I'm no audiophile) and much better than listening to all those car ads.

Picture here:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...9327&members=1

Personally, I think MB got on the wrong wagon with Sirius. XM has 3X the number of subscribers and IMO will be the winner in the end.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally posted by RedBaron
Inevitably there are trade-offs and the FM modulator is one of them. There are no inputs into the stereo (Aux or satellite), so this is the only way to go without a lot of complexity. The FM modulator is the only interface with the stereo, no impact on wiring. Still, sounds pretty good (I'm no audiophile) and much better than listening to all those car ads.

Picture here:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...9327&members=1

Personally, I think MB got on the wrong wagon with Sirius. XM has 3X the number of subscribers and IMO will be the winner in the end.
at circut city, they told me that even with the fm modulator, they still need to wire an input to your antenna...did you do this?? I really don't want to mess with my stereo at all... (nice install by the way )
Old 01-07-2004, 01:41 PM

The antenna lead that goes into the audio gateway (located near left trunk hinge) is simply unplugged, and then plugged into the FM modulator. The FM modulator is then plugged into the audio gateway. You'll need 2 euro antenna adapters. So there is no modifying or messing with the stock stuff, as you can simply unplug it all later if need be.

Required a lot of fab work to get it in the ash tray, not something I'd want Circuit City to tackle...
Old 01-07-2004, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally posted by RedBaron
The antenna lead that goes into the audio gateway (located near left trunk hinge) is simply unplugged, and then plugged into the FM modulator. The FM modulator is then plugged into the audio gateway. You'll need 2 euro antenna adapters. So there is no modifying or messing with the stock stuff, as you can simply unplug it all later if need be.

Required a lot of fab work to get it in the ash tray, not something I'd want Circuit City to tackle...
thanks for the info...
i know not to take my car to circut city for anything, I was just there asking about the product. do you know where to get the euro antenna adaptors????
Old 01-07-2004, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Does your ashtray still close?

Looks nice, and agreed, once again MB has screwed up and tied up with the wrong horse. After playing with both, I agree that XM is far superior. Got a pictre of your antenna install? thanks
Old 01-08-2004, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,053 Likes on 846 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
"I agree that XM is far superior."

I can't even begin to say how many times I've heard that same comment. I'd have to agree with you too. I have XM in three of my cars and it is great. Just about everyone that has ever ridden in my car and listened to XM radio has gone out and bought one. I've also known people with Sirrus that ditched their system and switched to XM.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:27 PM

SL500
Two questions for you RedBaron -

1/ How easy is it to get to the Audio Gateway? Can you access it from inside the trunk?

2/ For the ash tray install, where did you get the +12v and ground connections?

I'm taking delivery of a E320 in a few weeks and plan to add an aftermarket bluetooth phone kit. I will probably want to install the controller behind the ashtray thus Q2. I'm also wondering if it is possible to put a relay switch box between the audio gateway and the speakers so I can effectively mute the sound and feed the phone audio to the speakers instead.

Any info appreciated! Thanks.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally posted by DaveBk
Two questions for you RedBaron -

1/ How easy is it to get to the Audio Gateway? Can you access it from inside the trunk?

2/ For the ash tray install, where did you get the +12v and ground connections?

I'm taking delivery of a E320 in a few weeks and plan to add an aftermarket bluetooth phone kit. I will probably want to install the controller behind the ashtray thus Q2. I'm also wondering if it is possible to put a relay switch box between the audio gateway and the speakers so I can effectively mute the sound and feed the phone audio to the speakers instead.

Any info appreciated! Thanks.
please let me know how your bluetooth install turns out i am thinking about doing the same in my 320...it annoying that they don't have bluetooth in the car from the factory, while people with acura tls get it standard
Old 01-08-2004, 09:28 PM

2009 C63
XM kicks MAJOR A$$!!!

I just received a email today that they are going to offer A LOT more commercial free channels and ALL Traffic channels for some of the major cities. They teamed up with Traffic Pulse for this feature FREE. I am going to see how I can add XM to the radio.

Can we use the jack that is in the glove box for the input???

FYI:
I attached the email I received yesterday:

Dear XM Subscriber:

First, from all of us at XM, thank you for being a valued member of the XM
family.

From every vantage point XM had a spectacular 2003. Ending the year with over
1.36 million subscribers, XM Satellite Radio is one of the fastest growing
entertainment media ever. Building on this tremendous momentum, we’re delighted
to announce several programming content enhancements in 2004 we know you’re
going to love.

First, XM will offer 100% COMMERCIAL-FREE MUSIC beginning February 1st. With 68
commercial-free music channels, XM will deliver the most commercial-free music
in satellite radio. From Rock to Jazz, Classical to Hip-Hop, Country to R&B,
you’ll now enjoy more of the music you love, without commercial interruption.

Complementing the move to 100% commercial-free music will be the debut of
exciting new channels, including:
* Highway 16 – Today’s top Country Hits - Ch. 16
* The Blend – Adult Contemporary Hits - Ch. 25
* Fungus – Punk Rock - Ch. 53
* Lucy – Classic Alternative Hits - Ch. 54
* MSNBC – Global and national news - Ch. 130

We are also pleased to announce the launch of XM INSTANT TRAFFIC & WEATHER.