W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Many issues with new purchase please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 CTSV auto, 06 E55 white pano, 87 Grand national, 63 split window
Many issues with new purchase please help!

More issues with this temperamental POS! Sorry, but it is pissing me off now! 2006 E55

1- In the center of speedo it says: BRAKE (in white not red)...below that...service brake visit workshop. Pads are fine...no idea!

2- 1/2 hour after that light came on...the keyless go doesn't work...when I try it several times it will eventually work, in that period it might crank a little then stop...next 30 seconds or so, after trying it a couple more times, it will actually start. It is barely working now and it might not work ever again because I just tried it 15 times and nothing.
UPDATE: 45 min after parking it...when out and pushed the keyless button and started right up...the seat messaged my back for a about 10 sec and stopped! lmao...HELP ME!

3- Star scan showed low voltage to the brakes 3 days ago but at that time none of this stuff was happening so I changed both batteries just to be safe thinking that was the problem and if the batteries are weak then change them. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. I will not be able to have my buddy use the star scanner again until Saturday, possibly tomorrow night.

4- During the time that I am sitting in the car trying to get the Keyless start to work...the f'in dynamic seats start massaging my back!... but they don't ever work at any other time (tried several times while driving) and it did this like 3 times while I was trying the start button!!! I am like WTF!...They did work the first night I got the car, bolsters move and all.

5-I happen to like the car sitting a little higher than the lowered star setting (lowered is the way I got the car) so I hit the raise car button and it goes up and then right back down at times...other times it goes up and stays up for a while...other times it goes up and goes back down on the 3rd or 4th start up and drive. I just don't get it!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by 60nomad; 12-11-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
It sounds like a brake sensor, those wires break sometimes.

For the airmatic, you gotta run a airmatic check with star, it will start with the pump and then all sides.

Also the car will automatically lower back down at speeds over 72mph iirc.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'06 E55
I had the white brake message on my '06, the dealer "updated" something in the computer for brakes free of charge. Message never returned.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
So, you're trying to drive around with the car in Raised mode all the time? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Also, did you read the owner's manual again? I think there is a section on how long the car will stay raised.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 1970gsx
I had the white brake message on my '06, the dealer "updated" something in the computer for brakes free of charge. Message never returned.

That's good to know, thanks.

Originally Posted by HeissRod
So, you're trying to drive around with the car in Raised mode all the time? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Also, did you read the owner's manual again? I think there is a section on how long the car will stay raised.

It is really low...probably the lowest that star will allow so it is low! Raised up it sits like a typically lowered car I think so it is not like in 4 wheel drive mode! lol I will check the owners manual...thanks.

...and besides that, guys with white cars don't know Sh*t! lol
Old 12-11-2014, 08:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
THe brake message is most likely that the service life of the sbc has been reached. Go to the dealer and have them check this. It is 10yrs unlimited mileage on the sbc units.

For the other issues it sounds like you might have a few problems. Check the key batteries for keyless go 1st. There are some specific diagnostics that you can do. ALso make sure it does it with more than 1 key. If not it is a key issue.
I have also seen the button on the shifter fail and the shifter itself. You can check the actual value for the button in the shifter to make sure it is working.

The dynamic seats issue is most likely a leaking air bladder in the seat and or the pump for the seats is failing. THere should be fault codes in the seat control modules for leaking bladers and there is a diagnostic routine for checking for leaks in the seats.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by whipplem104
THe brake message is most likely that the service life of the sbc has been reached. Go to the dealer and have them check this. It is 10yrs unlimited mileage on the sbc units.

For the other issues it sounds like you might have a few problems. Check the key batteries for keyless go 1st. There are some specific diagnostics that you can do. ALso make sure it does it with more than 1 key. If not it is a key issue.
I have also seen the button on the shifter fail and the shifter itself. You can check the actual value for the button in the shifter to make sure it is working.

The dynamic seats issue is most likely a leaking air bladder in the seat and or the pump for the seats is failing. THere should be fault codes in the seat control modules for leaking bladers and there is a diagnostic routine for checking for leaks in the seats.
Hope this helps.

I forgot what SBC even stands for but I do know what you are talking about bc of the 10 year warranty thing.

The key battery seems fine bc it does turn on everything everytime I try and use the keyless go. This tells that battery is fine but I will change it anyway. I was wondering if the car doesn't realize that the brake is being pushed causing it not to crank? As far as the button on the shifter...very possible but again...it is recognizing it and turning the car on, just no cranking.

The seats? I have no clue...star isn't picking anything up on that! So, we are at a loss on that! Why would they work mainly when I am sitting in the car trying to get the keyless start to work? I can only laugh for now but my buddy will put the computer on it Saturday and he has a friend in Mercedes as well so I am sure he will see about that SBC thingy.

I really appreciate the help.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Originally Posted by 60nomad
I forgot what SBC even stands for but I do know what you are talking about bc of the 10 year warranty thing.

The key battery seems fine bc it does turn on everything everytime I try and use the keyless go. This tells that battery is fine but I will change it anyway. I was wondering if the car doesn't realize that the brake is being pushed causing it not to crank? As far as the button on the shifter...very possible but again...it is recognizing it and turning the car on, just no cranking.

The seats? I have no clue...star isn't picking anything up on that! So, we are at a loss on that! Why would they work mainly when I am sitting in the car trying to get the keyless start to work? I can only laugh for now but my buddy will put the computer on it Saturday and he has a friend in Mercedes as well so I am sure he will see about that SBC thingy.

I really appreciate the help.
SBC stands for Sensotronic Brake Control. The white BRAKE error with Visit Workshop underneath it is most likely what whipplem104 said. If you reset the system, the message will disappear, but the system can fail a day later or or could work fine for several more years. Just be careful not to run it to the point that it fails, and you get the red message because it can be really scary.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
But like was said if it is the sbc and you are within 10 years, it's a free replacement
Old 12-11-2014, 09:48 PM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by Hulk
But like was said if it is the sbc and you are within 10 years, it's a free replacement
This is where things can become difficult. As we all know, the dealership doesn't like to fix things for free, especially when it comes to expensive parts such as the SBC pump. If they can get away with flashing the ECU and wiping out the code, they will probably go that route. Now if they can buy a couple of years, that will push the car past the 10 year mark. My understanding is that they will only replace the unit if it has failed, and even then they are very reluctant. With this error message, they will certainly want to take the easy way out. I just want to throw out some possible scenarios.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005- E55, 2007 GL450, 94 B3000
Originally Posted by JDM_SXE-10
This is where things can become difficult. As we all know, the dealership doesn't like to fix things for free, especially when it comes to expensive parts such as the SBC pump. If they can get away with flashing the ECU and wiping out the code, they will probably go that route. Now if they can buy a couple of years, that will push the car past the 10 year mark. My understanding is that they will only replace the unit if it has failed, and even then they are very reluctant. With this error message, they will certainly want to take the easy way out. I just want to throw out some possible scenarios.

This is complete BS! The dealer wants to replace your SBC unit if they can. They make good money replacing them. I should know. There are certain faults that are covered under the recall. I will usually replace the unit due to knowledge of the system even when there is a fault for a faulty pressure reservoir. These rarely go bad, but more often it is an internal failure of the module setting this fault code. I have also updated tons of units to never see them again.

The fact that the keyless go is acting funny when this message appeared gives me the hunch that you may have a faulty stop lamp switch...ie the car will turn on, but not crank.

just my.02
Old 12-11-2014, 10:38 PM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by 211.070
This is complete BS! The dealer wants to replace your SBC unit if they can. They make good money replacing them. I should know. There are certain faults that are covered under the recall. I will usually replace the unit due to knowledge of the system even when there is a fault for a faulty pressure reservoir. These rarely go bad, but more often it is an internal failure of the module setting this fault code. I have also updated tons of units to never see them again.

The fact that the keyless go is acting funny when this message appeared gives me the hunch that you may have a faulty stop lamp switch...ie the car will turn on, but not crank.

just my.02
I'm not saying that dealerships don't want to replace SBC units. I'm saying that most of the dealerships, at least the ones around here, do not want to do it for free. There are even people on here that have run into difficulties getting a replacement unit under the 10-year warranty. If you prefer to replace parts for your customers then that's great. I wish I loved in GA then.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005- E55, 2007 GL450, 94 B3000
The dealers make good money on warranty work. We still get paid. It is free to the customer, but MB pays for the work to be performed. All dealers should replace the parts that need to be replaced. It should not be a GA specific issue.

Last edited by 211.070; 12-11-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
The dealer will erase the code the first time usually, if you go back for the same issue they change the part
Old 12-11-2014, 11:07 PM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by Hulk
The dealer will erase the code the first time usually, if you go back for the same issue they change the part
There you go, OP. This is the direction to go.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the help. As I said above, we have someone in Mercedes so I am sure they will replace it asap. I am only wondering what else that pump could be throwing off? Kevin (cntrline) will check the codes tomorrow so we will see what's up and I will post it here.

I can't have them erase code and then worry about this as I am driving 1200 miles away in 2 weeks! Yikes!

Last edited by 60nomad; 12-12-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
211.070 is correct. If the sbc unit has failed or has specific faults, such as service life reached then it is a 123 warranty replacement. The dealer is not paying for it. Mercedes is and it is a very good job for the tech and the dealership for profit.
But there are tons of faults in any control unit and the tech and dealership must follow diagnostic guidelines and if they can replace the part they will. If not then that is just the way it is. Mercedes is paying the bill and gets to decide what is what at the end of the day.
But to the op. Do not erase the fault codes in the sbc and wait to see what happens because you are just taking a chance that you will end up paying for it in the end if you run out of time. Unless it is something like a stop lamp switch.

You are correct that it is probably not the key or the button on the shifter if everything is powering up like turning the key into position 2 in the ignition switch. But it could still be a key. Have you verified with another key to see if it works the same.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
Your first and second issue could be a few different things but I'm thinking it's the stop lamp switch since you are also having a hard time with keyless go starting the car but all the lights still come on. Run codes. Very very rare for an 06 to need a pump but possibly could need software.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by whipplem104
211.070 is correct. If the sbc unit has failed or has specific faults, such as service life reached then it is a 123 warranty replacement. The dealer is not paying for it. Mercedes is and it is a very good job for the tech and the dealership for profit.
But there are tons of faults in any control unit and the tech and dealership must follow diagnostic guidelines and if they can replace the part they will. If not then that is just the way it is. Mercedes is paying the bill and gets to decide what is what at the end of the day.
But to the op. Do not erase the fault codes in the sbc and wait to see what happens because you are just taking a chance that you will end up paying for it in the end if you run out of time. Unless it is something like a stop lamp switch.

You are correct that it is probably not the key or the button on the shifter if everything is powering up like turning the key into position 2 in the ignition switch. But it could still be a key. Have you verified with another key to see if it works the same.

Will do on the codes, we will leave them there unless it says stop lamp switch. Keyless start: I only have one key so I can't test others but as you and I said, everything powers on fine and instantly.

Originally Posted by Rocman8
Your first and second issue could be a few different things but I'm thinking it's the stop lamp switch since you are also having a hard time with keyless go starting the car but all the lights still come on. Run codes. Very very rare for an 06 to need a pump but possibly could need software.

I am assuming what you guys are assuming bc it might not be telling the computer that the brake is being pressed. If you do not press the brake then it WILL power up so I am leaning towards that as well. All the help is just awesome!
Old 12-12-2014, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
I would definitely bring the car to the dealer for the brakes. If for nothing else, to document the Brake warning with MB. There is a 10 year warranty from the car's 'in-service date', so it should cost little to nothing for a repair. Even though your model year is 2006, you could have less than a year of warranty left, depending when it was put on the road.

If it's the brake light switch, that's a cheap fix also.

Is it possible that the dynamic seat is adjusting itself (lumbar position, inflation, etc) to your memory settings when you try to start the car. Is it definitely massaging? Is the "pulse" led lit on the switch?
Old 12-12-2014, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BagMan
I would definitely bring the car to the dealer for the brakes. If for nothing else, to document the Brake warning with MB. There is a 10 year warranty from the car's 'in-service date', so it should cost little to nothing for a repair. Even though your model year is 2006, you could have less than a year of warranty left, depending when it was put on the road.

If it's the brake light switch, that's a cheap fix also.

Is it possible that the dynamic seat is adjusting itself (lumbar position, inflation, etc) to your memory settings when you try to start the car. Is it definitely massaging? Is the "pulse" led lit on the switch?

Yes, I will do that if our friend is working tomorrow.

The seat just works when it wants...I always have the switch on (the big button that lights the red light) lately just to see what it is acting like and to try and pinpoint when it does work. It def. massages at times especially when trying to make the keyless start work...it's just weird. The first time I tried it, it actually worked (the bolsters anyway). The bolsters have never worked since.