Sponsored by:

DIY Carbon Fiber Godhand Lip Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 10:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
DIY Carbon Fiber Godhand Lip Install

I recently did a thread for the https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...r-install.html and was not really happy with the pictures and install process. I wanted to make sure for the Lip install everything was perfect and had pics to show.

I removed the front bumper which was fairly easy. Easiest to remove the two front tires but if not remove the two front wheel liners (front half only). You will have a T20 screw in the top edge of the bumper right by the wheel well that holds the bumper to quarter panel. Then slide your hand to the metal bracket that has those two pieces pinched, push forward and pull into the middle of the car at the same time. The bracket will hinge in and push forward and come all the way off. Up front you have 4 screws to remove under the hood area, and then pull the lower grille off and you have two screws under the bumper (metal one). By the Tip of the quarter panel by the headlight the bumper needs to be pushed inward to push a hook like piece the the bumper has on it off the quarter panel. (this piece helps hold the tips together). As you slide the bumper forward and hold it in place still, you or someone else can unplug the two fog lights, parking lights, air temp plug and the plug for the parking sensors.( I unplugged these when I took off the underbelly plate right behind the bumper. Its 4 screws and easy)

(re-painting only) Once the bumper was removed I took out the fog lights and the plastic covers, lower grille pins, inside the plastic bracket holding in the styrofoam blocks and removed the parking sensors. Took the two parking lights out (replaced with the clear Euro ones) and popped the two chrome bumper pieces out. Then sanded down the bumper with 400, then 1500. Two spots where it needed to be really sanded down and smoothed were primed, and then the bumper was painted and then heavily cleared so I would have plenty of clear coat to sand down in the future and buff out to rid it of small road debris.

Now onto the fun stuff. Once painted I lined up the lip on the two ends by the wheel well area of the bumper. Once both sides were aligned I drilled 5/16 holes and then put in 5/16 1.5 in bolts through the large washer on the bottom, and then put the same size washer on top and then a lock nut. On the sides of the bumper I drilled through the plastic inside piece which you can see in two of the pics. These are the pieces that hold up the ends of the underbody tray and the wheel well liner rivets too also. Using this technique this stiffened the whole end of the bumper and the liner and tray sections also. Was really happy I did this.

I then went to the tip of the nose and drilled carefully through and attached a bolt there also. Then went every 5 in or so and put another bolt through the sections. When tightening down, I made sure it was tight, but didnt tighten till the lip cracked either. Amazingly the whole bumper stiffened up after this. Install was the revers process. (you could and I meant too, hit each underneath bolt and washer with Plasti Dip, rattle can or whatever you like if you prefer, but I forgot too myself and they are NOT visible anyway)

I was really pleased with the finished result. I took the two plastic grilles by the fog lights and decided to plastic dip them black, and applied the Plasti Dip Glossifier to them also. I wanted to originally paint them black, but my painter said they might not come out that well and prepping them would be difficult. PD is not a bad thing if used correctly. They look painted, will take a small beating from pebbles due to the rubber feel and can be easily touched up if needed. They look fantastic. Since the front end is about as perfect as it can be now, I feel the grille needs to be painted Gloss Black instead of the matte PD. Will be working on that soon. Here are pics of the whole process and final results.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63 Amg, Heavily modified 1988 Jeep Comanche
That looks real good dude. I like how the bolts will rub first.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Originally Posted by Chomanche
That looks real good dude. I like how the bolts will rub first.
Very Very much overkill on the bolts, but I wanted NO possible rattling, no possible gaps, and at 130mph no chance of the wind ripping it off. This could be done without removing the bumper too, but for a few hours and a chance to clean up all items underneath it why not.

I took the first two underbody trays and Plasti dipped them also. Totally cleaned up the under body part of the car. Looks new almost and should stay this way too for a bit. Plastic Dip IMO is usually a wanna be type deal. Kinda like Auto Zone Stick on parts. Cheapens the car. But After painting the Wheel Well liners it made me think of what great use it could be for certain parts. (Grille painted was a members suggestion to me before really painting it. His was and looked nice but was on a silver E55. ) I am trying to get the car back to better than new condition so taking each of these steps to figure out solutions that work for everyone. As you can see in the pictures the car is so black now after the Paint Correction that pictures in the direct sun are now difficult.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63 Amg, Heavily modified 1988 Jeep Comanche
Yeah dude it looks good! The bolts being overkill is a good thing as they will drage the ground in uneven situations before anything else. I hope you pick a nice set of wheels to compliment it. You know the worst part about having clean underpinnings is the second it leaks oil its over. But over all that thing looks clean. I work with the people who are fixing mine and for a second they got me today. I asked em how it was lookin, mind you its been there for almost two months. He goes "like a piece of ****." I scratched my head. Then he says "only because its next to a McLaren. oh its for sale btw, 295k"
Old 01-21-2015, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
E55 AMG (SOLD), EvoSport CLK (SOLD), 2013 GsxR 750 (SOLD)
Nicely done bro.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:34 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Nice you are becoming the master of DIYs!
Old 10-23-2015, 09:11 PM

Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Thanks for the writeup, bought the same bolts/washers and doing my lip I got from Suvineer this weekend.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:00 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
The only thing I would've done differently is use carriage bolts instead of hex heads. This way if they come into contact with a hard edge, the rounded head lifts the bumper instead of snags.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Got the lip installed and gave her a wash, need to do a deep cleaning and wax soon and next week calipers painted.