Sponsored by:

DIY Carbon Fiber Diffuser Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 11:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
DIY Carbon Fiber Diffuser Install

I purchased a rear Diffuser and a Godhand Lip from Suvneer. They were shipped quickly and came nicely wrapped and packaged. Here is how they looked after removing them from the packaging.

Since I do Paint Corrections and the two pieces are coated with clear coat, I put a polisher on them to make them as glossy as possible. I first used my Griots Garage 3" with a light cutting polishing white pad using Menzerna SF4000 using normal pressure and made numerous passes due to these small pieces. I then switched over to a black non cutting polishing pad and used Rupes Diamond micro polish and used no pressure at all and made numerous passes to slightly increase the gloss. Then I used GTechniq Panel Wipe to remove all oils to prep the surface for Glass Coating. I applied 22ple pro glass coating to all surfaces, let sit for 4min and then removed. The coating takes 24hrs to initially cure, then 4-5 days to fully cure. Here are the pictures after the coatings.

I fully removed the bumper in order to re-spray it, so took that opportunity to do the install when the bumper was off the car. The bumper took about 1 hr to fully remove. (what a pain it was). There is a DIY https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...r-removal.html that works very similar on a E63 so I did use this to figure it out. I had to remove all brackets on the right rear inside of the trunk and also maneuver around all the electronics on the left. Those two bolts left and right were the biggest pain. Use two people to remove it or you will damage the quarter panels.

I used this opportunity to polish the exhaust tips. I used Blue Magic metal polish and 0000 steel wool. After polishing them to the highest shine possible, I then glass coated them with 22ple Wheel and Metal coating. This was to help prevent the black scum from accumulating on the tips from now on.

After painting, I installed the diffuser using 9 SS self taping screws with washers. I had a helper lay the diffuser along the crease above the plastic lower part of the bumper and started in the middle and tapped the screw about 1.5" below the top of the diffuser. (I First applied numerous strips of 3m double sided tape along the plastic part of the bumper so the lower part of the diffuser would be secure) I used the screws every 6" or so along the top with one on each side of the exhaust portal and then one at or near the tips of the diffuser. (one member drilled a hole in the tip and used a zip tie to the exhaust hanger) I did not want to rig mine this way. I fully pushed the lower part against the bumper and pushed the bumper at the same time to fully seat the 3m tape. The next day I installed the bumper with just about a perfect fit.

My only hang up about this was the diffuser didnt fit totally along the plastic part crease at the edges near the exhaust. It ran over the edge and along the bumper. Maybe I got the wrong one, who knows but I worked through that and got it installed. There are slight gaps where the tips curve down. The gaps do not go all the way under, just the edge of the diffuser sticks out different. This is due to the diffuser being wider than the curvature of the crease. It has to bridge the crease above the exhaust portal. Pictures all show this and how it fits. In the end I am pleased and it looks great. Somehow the in process pictures of the install got lost, but here is the final ones at all angles.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63 Amg, Heavily modified 1988 Jeep Comanche
That looks very nice, I'll be following suit. Since mine is getting the hail fixed currently i've asked my wonderful body shop to change a few pieces up. Plus this.

Last edited by Chomanche; 01-16-2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:36 AM

13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Originally Posted by Chomanche
That looks very nice, I'll be following suit. Since mine is getting the hail fixed currently i've asked my wonderful body shop to change a few pieces up. Plus this.
Off subject, but you can help me out. What tires are you running? And how does the 63 function with any type of snow. It is my DD and I am moving to DC soon. Likely will run into snow at some point, and just want to be aware of what to expect. I did use my E350 with Continental DWS on it in the snow and it did awesome. Yes I run PSS and don't expect much out of them, but interested in what you say. Thanks
Old 01-16-2015, 12:53 AM

2007 E63 Amg, Heavily modified 1988 Jeep Comanche
Well if Im honest I dont take it out when the weather is grey. But i can say this, Mercedes has an amazing traction\stability program. Piut some weight in the trunk, leave it in comfort mode, and raise the suspension. Mercedes recomends using the same size rear tire that comes on the front for the winter months. If im honest again, winter tires work best. Switch em out come summer. If theres more than 4in of snow on the road dont bother, it will get stuck. I spent three years driving an w124 E320 in the foothills outside denver and thats the only time i had problems.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
you can remove the stock plastic trim before installing the CF diffuser
Old 01-16-2015, 01:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by shardul
you can remove the stock plastic trim before installing the CF diffuser
Is the easiest way to line this up to remove the bumper, take off that plastic trim (existing OEM "diffuser"), then line it up so it just covers that gap and then reinstall?
Old 01-16-2015, 02:17 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
yes
Old 01-16-2015, 02:30 PM

13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Originally Posted by shardul
yes
Thanks for this help to others. Can you say how that piece removes? without cutting it off. I looked but seemed like it was glued or something on there. Also if removed what do you have to screw the diffuser to. If following the crease?? Thanks Shardul if you can help with this. I wish I had the pictures.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:58 PM

03 e55
I have the same diffuser. We removed the stock plastic trim before installing it. The stock piece is held on only by doubled sided tape. Heat gun or hair dryer will definitely help. I'm sure the diffuser will sit more flush once you remove that piece.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:52 AM

13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Originally Posted by E55amg/FD3S
I have the same diffuser. We removed the stock plastic trim before installing it. The stock piece is held on only by doubled sided tape. Heat gun or hair dryer will definitely help. I'm sure the diffuser will sit more flush once you remove that piece.
IF anyone has anything further please put it here so anyone doing their install has it all in one place.

Also I am installing the LIP tomorrow and taking a bunch of good pictures. Front bumper was painted tonight. I am planning on using 1" 5/16 bolts with large washers top and bottom. The bottom ones will be painted black and holes drilled through both LIP and bumper. 12 bolts in all. I laid it up against the bumper tonight, and the only thing that bothered me was when in place the tips on the ends when in place stuck out into the wheel well area about 1.5". Thought that was weird slightly. Is that correct?
Old 01-17-2015, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
I laid it up against the bumper tonight, and the only thing that bothered me was when in place the tips on the ends when in place stuck out into the wheel well area about 1.5". Thought that was weird slightly. Is that correct?
The ends of mine sit perfectly flush with the fender. (I have a Carlsson CF front)