Sponsored by:

Just picked up an E55 last week!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e60 M5 w211 E55
Just picked up an E55 last week!

....And I love it so far ! I've got a few things in mind I want to do which start with some basic maintenance. I've already had to change the alternator and replaced the battery with a new one as it was on it's last legs. Car came with upgraded IC pump and lowering links as well. I'm usually a Bimmer guy, currently own an e60 M5. Anyways here's a pic
Attached Thumbnails Just picked up an E55 last week!-img_6581.jpg  
Old 03-13-2015, 12:05 AM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
V60 Polestar, Veloster N 6MT
Looks great - congrats! And I like those wheels.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:13 AM

W203 C320 Wagon
Welcome aboard. +1 on the wheels. Don't worry about the M5, no one is perfect (JK ;-D).
Old 03-13-2015, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold - 05' E55
Welcome aboard. You should consider changing both batteries.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
Originally Posted by isaiah_forreal
....And I love it so far ! I've got a few things in mind I want to do which start with some basic maintenance. I've already had to change the alternator and replaced the battery with a new one as it was on it's last legs. Car came with upgraded IC pump and lowering links as well. I'm usually a Bimmer guy, currently own an e60 M5. Anyways here's a pic

Looks great! How did you like your M5?
Old 03-13-2015, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
You'll find this car much nicer to drive on a daily basis than the E60 M5. But when it comes to steering finesse you'll like your M5 more. The M5 has a faster steering ratio (fewer turns) and a overall more natural feel.

You'll find the suspension a little mushy and hard to read for the first month, it'll take a while to get used to it.

Despite having such beautiful and massive fixed calipers, the superior E55 brake hardware has an odd pedal feel due to the computerized braking system. Your M5 has sliding calipers (inferior to the fixed calipers on the E55) but has great feel since it has a traditional brake system.

You'll also notice the audio system may not be as good as the one in your M5.

You'll really dislike the navigation screen being so low on the E55. But you'll get used to it.

If you have the SMG on your M5, you'll hate the M5's transmission even more after driving this E55. But you may find the gear shift on the E55 to be a bit slow and the gear spacing to be really tall in the first 3 gears.

The M5's engine is really special and has a very unique and pleasant sound. The E55 has a very special engine as well that is much more torque-y than the M5's but it's slightly less dynamic mainly due to the transmission.

Overall, I think the E55 is a nice car. The M5 is a very special car, but one that I couldn't live with driving it every day. It can't be toned down very easily, not a good dual character machine. The E55 is too toned down, it doesn't have the handling for a very aggressive personality. But when you punch it in a straight line, it goes forward very, it was the fastest car 10 years ago, and even today, over the past ten years, not much as outdone the E55.

Last but not least, the E60 M5 is my favorite M5. Most people love the E39. But I love that V10 sound. It'd be perfect as a weekend car, but it'd be too emotional for everyday.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:31 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
look nice!
Old 03-14-2015, 12:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
W220 V12TT Land Yacht / W211 E55 Estate
Originally Posted by patrick_y
You'll find this car much nicer to drive on a daily basis than the E60 M5. But when it comes to steering finesse you'll like your M5 more. The M5 has a faster steering ratio (fewer turns) and a overall more natural feel.

You'll find the suspension a little mushy and hard to read for the first month, it'll take a while to get used to it.

Despite having such beautiful and massive fixed calipers, the superior E55 brake hardware has an odd pedal feel due to the computerized braking system. Your M5 has sliding calipers (inferior to the fixed calipers on the E55) but has great feel since it has a traditional brake system.

You'll really dislike the navigation screen being so low on the E55. But you'll get used to it.

If you have the SMG on your M5, you'll hate the M5's transmission even more after driving this E55. But you may find the gear shift on the E55 to be a bit slow and the gear spacing to be really tall in the first 3 gears.

The M5's engine is really special and has a very unique and pleasant sound. The E55 has a very special engine as well that is much more torque-y than the M5's but it's slightly less dynamic mainly due to the transmission.

Overall, I think the E55 is a nice car. The M5 is a very special car, but one that I couldn't live with driving it every day. It can't be toned down very easily, not a good dual character machine. The E55 is too toned down, it doesn't have the handling for a very aggressive personality. But when you punch it in a straight line, it goes forward very, it was the fastest car 10 years ago, and even today, over the past ten years, not much as outdone the E55.

Last but not least, the E60 M5 is my favorite M5. Most people love the E39. But I love that V10 sound. It'd be perfect as a weekend car, but it'd be too emotional for everyday.

pretty much spot on comparison...ive owned both...
Old 03-14-2015, 02:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450, 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
Congrats and welcome to the forums.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by m3j0n
pretty much spot on comparison...ive owned both...
How many years did you keep your M5? Mileage? Did you find the car enjoyable and reliable?

Have you driven the latest M5, the F10 with the turbocharged V8s? What are your thoughts? My thoughts; quiet engine, love the dual clutch transmission, very luxurious with the full leather package, very similar to the F10 550i models. But being so similar to the F10 550i model, it lacks the specialness the E60 M5 had.

The E60 M5 was so radically different from the E60 550i, the gap between those cars was huge.

But then again, maybe that's just what the doctor ordered, they did fix all of my complaints about the E60 M5 (bad transmission, too stiff of a suspension, a bit too loud for daily use to take clients and colleagues for lunch). And now, with the perfect car that is comfortable, quiet, luxurious, and has a great transmission, I should love it. But I just don't love the F10 M5 even though it's everything I wished for.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:08 PM

e60 M5 w211 E55
How many years did you keep your M5? Mileage? Did you find the car enjoyable and reliable?

Have you driven the latest M5, the F10 with the turbocharged V8s? What are your thoughts? My thoughts; quiet engine, love the dual clutch transmission, very luxurious with the full leather package, very similar to the F10 550i models. But being so similar to the F10 550i model, it lacks the specialness the E60 M5 had.

The E60 M5 was so radically different from the E60 550i, the gap between those cars was huge.

But then again, maybe that's just what the doctor ordered, they did fix all of my complaints about the E60 M5 (bad transmission, too stiff of a suspension, a bit too loud for daily use to take clients and colleagues for lunch). And now, with the perfect car that is comfortable, quiet, luxurious, and has a great transmission, I should love it. But I just don't love the F10 M5 even though it's everything I wished for.
I still have my M5 and I love it as someone eluded to, the driving feel is so different but there is no turning it down. It's always ready to "go" the ride is harsh but feels much more precise than the E55. As far as reliablity, I've owned it since september and so far I've had to change the clutch which was the original one. Got the car with 77k miles. It was my DD until I picked up the E. The notorious probe can be scary and quite expensive just a simple google search will show you. I love the F10 its the perfect DD but it's way too floaty for me. Doesn't feel like an ///M at all but the power is immense and the DCT is great.

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Congrats and welcome to the forums.
Originally Posted by shardul
look nice!

That hits the nail on the head. Although I love a natural MT, I don't hate the SMG I've learned to like it

Originally Posted by Sugar_Mouth
Looks great! How did you like your M5?
I love my M5 I still have it.

Originally Posted by kompressede
Welcome aboard. You should consider changing both batteries.
Thanks I'll looks into that

Originally Posted by JC05E55
Welcome aboard. +1 on the wheels. Don't worry about the M5, no one is perfect (JK ;-D).
Originally Posted by mightar
Looks great - congrats! And I like those wheels.
Thanks for all the compliments guys, I've attached some pics of my M5
Old 03-14-2015, 12:26 PM

ML500, E55 AMG
Welcome to the club!

I've only owned my a few months now, but it drives incredibly well. The anti-lock brakes are the best I have ever used! The pedal feel is "odd".

I would recommend getting a STAR system immediately. It will pay for itself many times overs.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
nice
Old 03-14-2015, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
The M5s are notorious for clutch replacements even with SMG. The SMG pump itself was a problem on E46 M3s, but hasn't been a repeat offender on the M5s. The engine on the M5s do need a rebuild every now and then, the "rod bearings" or whatever bearings that hold the crankshaft seem to wear badly and need replacement.

I'm considering to own an M5 or M6. But still in the early consideration phase. They're very ferocious so I'm not certain I'd like it. And I hear the SMG takes months of daily driving to acclimate to. There's a group of guys who have them locally here and they like the car, but are hesitant to recommend it to anyone because it's so different. I guess I just need to live with one for a few weeks to find out what it's like.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
They are both a mixed bag of fruits. Gotta own both to really have the best garage

M5 is the better drivers car...
E55 is the better car...

Both will put a grin on your face, it's just how you want the grin delivered.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by 2000UZJ
They are both a mixed bag of fruits. Gotta own both to really have the best garage

M5 is the better drivers car...
E55 is the better car...

Both will put a grin on your face, it's just how you want the grin delivered.
Yikes! You aren't helping!
Old 03-15-2015, 12:15 PM

e60 M5 w211 E55
The M5s are notorious for clutch replacements even with SMG. The SMG pump itself was a problem on E46 M3s, but hasn't been a repeat offender on the M5s. The engine on the M5s do need a rebuild every now and then, the "rod bearings" or whatever bearings that hold the crankshaft seem to wear badly and need replacement.

I'm considering to own an M5 or M6. But still in the early consideration phase. They're very ferocious so I'm not certain I'd like it. And I hear the SMG takes months of daily driving to acclimate to. There's a group of guys who have them locally here and they like the car, but are hesitant to recommend it to anyone because it's so different. I guess I just need to live with one for a few weeks to find out what it's like.
Get one, the clutch isn't a weak point but rather part of owning the car I replaced mine and the car had 78k. Rod bearings are more of a preventative thing. I know ppl with S85 motors that have high mileage and race and are still on the OE bearings. The diff is another weak point as well. All in all they're great cars
Old 03-15-2015, 01:51 PM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
Congrats OP and great looking Beast. The M5 pics didn't seem to show.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:02 PM

e60 M5 w211 E55

Last edited by isaiah_forreal; 03-15-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Looks like a very nice purchase!
Old 03-15-2015, 08:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E63
Congrats on the pickup my friend. I've got the same wheels. You should expect a few of the occasional compliments on the wheels.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by isaiah_forreal
Get one, the clutch isn't a weak point but rather part of owning the car I replaced mine and the car had 78k. Rod bearings are more of a preventative thing. I know ppl with S85 motors that have high mileage and race and are still on the OE bearings. The diff is another weak point as well. All in all they're great cars
The diff is weak? That's the first I heard/read that one.

Clutch is a wear item, so I can understand. The rod bearings surprise me, but just a quirk to this engine.

My favorite part of the E60 M5 is the engine sound and the leather interior (especially when it has the FULL Leather package).
Old 03-16-2015, 09:08 PM

e60 M5 w211 E55
The diff is weak? That's the first I heard/read that one.

Clutch is a wear item, so I can understand. The rod bearings surprise me, but just a quirk to this engine.

My favorite part of the E60 M5 is the engine sound and the leather interior (especially when it has the FULL Leather package).
Yup, supposedly they have an 80k life....mine started making the noises. The clutch packs start sticking together. It would be a noise you only hear while doing 3 pt turns. They make an additive to pair with the diff fluid but if the car has higher miles the additive most likely won't work. The upgraded diff is worlds better. The 3.62 gearing(instead of the 3.91 stock) really puts the power to the wheels
Old 03-17-2015, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Looks great with those wheels. Congrats on the new car.