Sponsored by:

New to AMG, school me. (E63/M156)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 10:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
M3
New to AMG, school me. (E63/M156)

I come from the M world having owned a E46 M3, FBO E92 M3 and FBO E60 M5. Some how I ended getting talked into a 07 E63 AMG for a better DD and I like the car so far in about 7 months of ownership in stock form. (Mod bug has bitten me).

My problem is that forums, products and interaction for AMG cars is almost non existent as compared to the M world.

So school me on the best sites, companies and forums to go to for these cars, as in:
-Finding used parts
-Tuning info, custom coding..
-custom work (fabing)
-Etc...

I'd like to have a little fun with the car, maybe a set of headers, tune and spray. But honestly besides C63 forum sections there really isn't much info or parts out there for the M156.

Please don't say, should have got a 55 haha it's to easy and typical of a car honestly, though that mountain or tq is beautiful.

Thanks
Marc
Old 03-15-2015, 11:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 E63 - 03 Sonic Blue Lightning - 09 F150 4x4 Beater
Weistech has quite the catalogue for our platform. American racing for a set of long tubes, eurocharged for a tune. Not a whole lot out there for our cars in terms of outright power. Well, unless you decide to go supercharged, in that case over 700 hp is just a credit card number away.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
headers and tune you should be pretty happy.. lower it and some wheels DONE
Old 03-16-2015, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 AMG E63 Weistec S3, 2003 Porsche GT2 with 1375 rwhp
The stage 3 kit from Eurocharged is great, it includes headers, intake and software. Get the headers JetHot coated and you are good to go. The exhaust will sound great. If you want to go all out then you go for the Weistec stage 3 blower. The car totally changes and is down right insane.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold - 05' E55
I wouldn't put "spray" on a E63. If you want a more mod friendly AMG, I would suggest the E55.
Otherwise, really consider the Weistec blower for the E63.

GL
Old 03-16-2015, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Definitely headers and a tune, and you may want to go for some drop-ins, also. I would advise against the "Frankencar" approach recommended above for the simple reason that, if something goes wrong (as something will, because these cars are aging and are not being driven by grandmothers on their way to church on Sundays) the tendency of the installer will be to point at parts, the parts suppliers will point to the tuner, etc.

Not sure where you're located, but you want to limit the "mix and match" approach for those reasons, at least.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:46 PM

M3
Thanks for all the replies and help.

The only thing with spray is that the M156 seems to love it, lurking around in the C63 forums guys use it all the time, a couple tuners even sell Nitrous packages. Cheaper and makes the same if not more power that a S/C. But I'd love to have a S/C!!

Does anyone have any experience with the Weistech Blip tune? I'd love to have that for this car coming from a DCT car, but $2500 is a lot to ask for something that's honestly so simple.

LTH, tune, and drop ins are in the cars future next month but I'm pretty creative and know I'll want to dive in deeper trying to find new power from the aging W211 until I move on to something else. (I'm a car *****, buy and sell them to fast).
Old 03-17-2015, 05:50 PM
cdd

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
N/A
I have exhaust mods and a tune. It's plenty for me--not looking for the fastest car around, just something that's quick and sounds good.

I'm very happy with my Kleemann headers, but the problem is that they don't bolt right up to the midsection. I had my shop fab up a midsection with cats to connect to the resonator. The benefit of the American Racing headers is 1) they are less expensive and 2) they bolt right up to the resonator.

Not sure about the quality, but others seem to be happy with them.

As someone else said, If you're just looking for 'stage 1' improvements, LT headers and a tune.

If you want the full monty, then you go with the blower.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:19 PM

M3
I for sure want LTH but I gotta find the right pair for the right price, almost $3k for headers then another $1k tune for a car just to have fun in isn't really what I'm looking to spend. Hopefully a used pair pops up or group buy.

Once this thing can breath and makes some noise in sure I'll love the car. All my Ms were catless and it makes a world of difference.

Originally Posted by cdd
I have exhaust mods and a tune. It's plenty for me--not looking for the fastest car around, just something that's quick and sounds good.

I'm very happy with my Kleemann headers, but the problem is that they don't bolt right up to the midsection. I had my shop fab up a midsection with cats to connect to the resonator. The benefit of the American Racing headers is 1) they are less expensive and 2) they bolt right up to the resonator.

Not sure about the quality, but others seem to be happy with them.

As someone else said, If you're just looking for 'stage 1' improvements, LT headers and a tune.

If you want the full monty, then you go with the blower.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by M-Theory
I for sure want LTH but I gotta find the right pair for the right price, almost $3k for headers then another $1k tune for a car just to have fun in isn't really what I'm looking to spend. Hopefully a used pair pops up or group buy.

Once this thing can breath and makes some noise in sure I'll love the car. All my Ms were catless and it makes a world of difference.
Well if you arent willing to pay 3k for headers, then I doubt the 63 is meant for you because rotors alone will run you 4k for a set...
Old 03-17-2015, 06:56 PM

M3
Rotors are something the car "needs", though they can be sourced for way cheaper than $4k. That doesn't really bother me coming from a E60 M5 and that stupid SMG repair price over and over again.

Just performance wise the headers seem a bit pricy for the gain but I'm sure I'll bite the bullet and make the purchase if a used set doesn't pop up.

AMG aftermarket prices altogether are ridiculous (Ex $2500-3500 for rev match software that cost them $400 likely), but hey gotta pay to play so oh well.

Originally Posted by 06E55BEAST
Well if you arent willing to pay 3k for headers, then I doubt the 63 is meant for you because rotors alone will run you 4k for a set...
Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold - 05' E55
ARH, and MBH are nice headers. Kleemen has been around a long time and they are a good bang for the buck.

As you said, you got to pay if you want to play, and you know that already coming from the M's. A lot of info on here.

GL
Old 03-19-2015, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
i have a set of PLM shorties that i need to have installed and the price was good - bang for buck should be good - and a tune either Eurocharged or Weistec - taking the car to 550hp is all i am looking for until the 212 wagon drop further in price