W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 / E63 differences (Not an engine discussion)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M6 (E63)
E55 / E63 differences (Not an engine discussion)

Hello Everyone.... Yes I'm a newb. I'm getting ready to purchase a semi-high mileage commuter as I don't want to drive my M6 everyday. I need some help from you guys regarding which W211 to buy.

This is NOT a question about the drivetrain ..... I know there are TONS of threads out there on this. I totally understand that for the most part it comes down to personal preference with the engine. I even stopped by two Benz dealers and asked them about reliability and they said both drivetrains are pretty darn good and its ..... of course ....... preference.

So the question is....... What other options / changes were made during the switch from E55 to E63. I know about the subtle appearance changes (these things are easy to see). However, what about comfort, convenience, audio, safety, etc options??

I want to make sure that if I buy a E55 I'm not gonna be upset to learn the E63 has some "very cool" feature that can't be retrofitted later on.

Here's a good example (different make). I had bought a 2010 Acura TL 6spd. You know the pretty cool one with the horrible name and ugly grille. Not crazy fast but damn reliable, handled well and most importantly .... was a 6spd!! Anyway, right after I bought it I found out they were changing the seats and Acura would be making them ventilated. Sure not a big deal but it pissed me off and I would have definitely waited the couple more months.

I want to make sure something like this doesn't happen with the E55 ...... like bluetooth audio ....I know that didn't happen til after the W211 but you get the idea. I'm having trouble searching the web for definitive options or changes other than the engine that happened during the W211 mid-cycle change.

Anyway.... thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!!!
Old 04-17-2015, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
the e63 interior is nicer. roof liner / seats .. black interior is more black. e55 black interior is kinda grey
Old 04-17-2015, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
Here's some differences off the top of my head. Bear in mind that even the E55 had feature changes over the years.

I hope others will chime in

E63:
-7 Speed tranny w/paddle shifter (debatable whether or not it's better than E55 5spd - reliability wise)
-better electronics on the 2009 models (COMAND NTG2.5) still sucks IMO
-Bigger Semi composite brakes / different calipers - higher replacement cost
-No SBC braking system - less headaches/worries
-Slightly wider stock wheels 18x8.5f 18x9r
-Different shift knob
-Different steering wheel
-roll top center console
-Alcantara seat bolsters
-Are dynamic seats available on the E63??
-Fold down rear seats
-More interior color choices
-Different instrument cluster (black face)
-facelifted headlights, taillights, bumpers
-better exhaust sound

E55 changes: (most 2005+ changes carried over to the E63)
-Optional Solar vent fans in pano roof was 2004 only - I believe (maybe 2003 also)
-2005+ introduced better steering rack - quicker ratio
-2005+ 200mph speedo - still white face
-2005+ removed in cabin charcoal filter
-2005+ Dynamic seats still available??
-2005+ roll top center console (03-04 had split butterfly console)
-2005+ Aluminum pedals
Old 04-17-2015, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by BagMan
Yes. My '06 has dynamic seats.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:29 PM

BMW M6 (E63)
Wow!! Thanks guys for the input thus far. A few things seem fairly large....

--> Remember I come from the land of iDrive so it MUST be better

-Bigger Semi composite brakes / different calipers
--> Is there data to support "bigger / better" if so this seems substantial

--> half inch depending on the offset might look better, especially since I do not plan on changing much on the car.

--> Steering wheel looks better on the E63 from the photos I have seen and the feel of a wheel is so important to the drive.

--> I do like the new exterior appointments

-better exhaust sound
-->perhaps ...... but you loose the cool supercharger whine

What about adaptive cruise control?? I use to use that all the time on an old G35 I had... I loved it!
Old 04-17-2015, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jadkar
-better exhaust sound
-->perhaps ...... but you loose the cool supercharger whine
The stock whine of the E55 isn't very loud at all, especially in the cabin.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Look to be honest, get the E63. It's the better car, maybe not the faster but it is better. It has all the updated stuff from the factory and it sounds ALOT better. Go hear it and drive it in person, the M156 is just jaw dropping when it comes to sound. The E63 feels tighter, the drivetrain is tighter whereas the E55 is more of a slushy torque monster. They couldn't feel any different and it's shocking that they share the same chassis, they feel WORLDS apart.

The cosmetic changes are extensive and will cost you to do. You'll need the mirrors, headlights, taillights, trunk (lower), OEM front E63 bumper (suvneer is not identical), rear bumper trim (where sensors sit), wheels, diffuser (part of the bumper). Inside you have the center vent, instrument cluster, steering wheel, gear shift knob, pedals, seats (F+R).

If you get an 09 E63 which has the NTG 2.5. Ignore what people say, it's an incredible system, very modern and very easy to use and just gorgeous. Anyone who calls the NTG 2.5 crap is a retard and shouldn't be walking without a helmet. The NTG 2.5 can be retrofitted. There's a module/harness you can buy for not much, if you have Harmon and Kardon it's a little more expensive to do but still very possible.

The E63, unless supercharged is not very mod friendly. If you want a savage beast that is extremely fast and colossal, you'll wanna start with an E55 because it's fairly cheap to mod and get to being a 10 second car. If you Weistec or Kleemann SC the E63 though, you can stomp on highly modded E55s but it's alot more expensive especially the latter brand.

You will still not have the sound of the E63 though and you'll have spent quite a bit to get the cosmetics done, which let's face it the W211 needs and without looks pretty dated.

Go drive them. We see 10 threads a day like this. You need to choose the car that suits you. They're night and day different. They're not even close to being similar, it'll gobsmack you how different they are and feel. I personally prefer the E63.

Originally Posted by BagMan
Here's some differences off the top of my head. Bear in mind that even the E55 had feature changes over the years.

I hope others will chime in

E63:
-7 Speed tranny w/paddle shifter (debatable whether or not it's better than E55 5spd - reliability wise)
-Bigger Semi composite brakes / different calipers - higher replacement cost
-No SBC braking system - less headaches/worries
-Different shift knob
-roll top center console
-Alcantara seat bolsters
-Are dynamic seats available on the E63??
-Fold down rear seats
-More interior color choices
-Different instrument cluster (black face)
-better exhaust sound

E55 changes: (most 2005+ changes carried over to the E63)
-Optional Solar vent fans in pano roof was 2004 only - I believe (maybe 2003 also)
-2005+ introduced better steering rack - quicker ratio
-2005+ 200mph speedo - still white face
-2005+ removed in cabin charcoal filter
-2005+ roll top center console (03-04 had split butterfly console)
-2005+ Aluminum pedals
YOU RACIST *******
Old 04-17-2015, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
Originally Posted by e500slr
Look to be honest, get the E63. It's the better car, maybe not the faster but it is better. It has all the updated stuff from the factory and it sounds ALOT better. Go hear it and drive it in person, the M156 is just jaw dropping when it comes to sound. The E63 feels tighter, the drivetrain is tighter whereas the E55 is more of a slushy torque monster. They couldn't feel any different and it's shocking that they share the same chassis, they feel WORLDS apart.

The cosmetic changes are extensive and will cost you to do. You'll need the mirrors, headlights, taillights, trunk (lower), OEM front E63 bumper (suvneer is not identical), rear bumper trim (where sensors sit), wheels, diffuser (part of the bumper). Inside you have the center vent, instrument cluster, steering wheel, gear shift knob, pedals, seats (F+R).

If you get an 09 E63 which has the NTG 2.5. Ignore what people say, it's an incredible system, very modern and very easy to use and just gorgeous. Anyone who calls the NTG 2.5 crap is a retard and shouldn't be walking without a helmet. The NTG 2.5 can be retrofitted. There's a module/harness you can buy for not much, if you have Harmon and Kardon it's a little more expensive to do but still very possible.

The E63, unless supercharged is not very mod friendly. If you want a savage beast that is extremely fast and colossal, you'll wanna start with an E55 because it's fairly cheap to mod and get to being a 10 second car. If you Weistec or Kleemann SC the E63 though, you can stomp on highly modded E55s but it's alot more expensive especially the latter brand.

You will still not have the sound of the E63 though and you'll have spent quite a bit to get the cosmetics done, which let's face it the W211 needs and without looks pretty dated.

Go drive them. We see 10 threads a day like this. You need to choose the car that suits you. They're night and day different. They're not even close to being similar, it'll gobsmack you how different they are and feel. I personally prefer the E63.

YOU RACIST *******
Insults aside, I believe you're downplaying what's involved in the COMAND upgrade. Taken from another post:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post5877824

You need to remove anything on the most ring that is NOT NTG 2.5 (In other words EVERYTHING that is in the car stock. Radio, Audio Gateway (Amp/tuner unit in the trunk) CTEL module, SDAR module (If installed) Lignuatronic module (If installed), CD Changer, Ipod Interface (If installed) Nav Processor/DVD Drive (If installed) Bluetooth Phone interface (If installed) You replace all that with NTG 2.5 headunit (which has Nav, Linguatronic, Bluetooth and DVD Changer built in), Main Amp, Sub Amp, SDAR/HD Radio module, Media Interface (Ipod interface) and a Conversion wiring harness from Comandonline.co.uk

Install takes me 8 hours and I charge $1000

NTG 2.5 headunit- I'm seeing these on ebay for $1400 I know this guy and his stuff works

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Mercede...978f05&vxp=mtr

NTG 2.5 conversion wiring harness, Comandonline.co.uk $450

http://www.commandonline.co.uk/W211-...on-NTG2.5.html

Main Amp- $1390 http://www.commandonline.co.uk/harmo...or_ntg2.5.html

Sub Amp- $400 - there is one on ebay now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2010-20...item58a8978df6

SDAR/HD Radio module- Usually $300

Media Interface (Ipod interface) - $399

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2010-20...item3f2cc38f36

then you should get the media interface Plus (Bluetooth music streaming) $300

Bluetooth antenna, am/fm antenna adapter, Linguatronic stalk, microphone extension cable, backup camera and the updated antenna amp in the drivers c-pillar adds another $750 if you want video in motion thats another $250

Then there is a bit of STAR/DAS programming/updating that has to be done (It also updates the data card so the dealer sees a "Factory" install of a NTG 2.5

Yes it's expensive but the sound quality is MUCH better, infact it's what the car should sound like. there is even decent sub-bass. Integration with dash is there and the car looks bone stock. GPS is now address level and if you choose to subscribe you have live traffic.

charging of an iPhone 5 is via USB cable, same as all previous iPhones.

Let me know if you have any other questions
Old 04-17-2015, 02:27 PM

BMW M6 (E63)
I genuinely appreciate all the candid feedback and opinions.....they have been VERY helpful!! Fact of the matter is this is gonna be a commuter. I drive 120 miles a day and I have a 2003 civic coupe that "used to" do the journey. I have since grown tired of getting blown away by dump trucks and semis so I switched to my V10 M6 which generally annihilates anyone who is driving slow in front of me. Problem is my M6 has under 20K miles on it.... I want to keep it that way. I want something to drive that is high mileage (I found a bunch already) this way I don't have to feel upset about racking the miles up. However is still fast enough to dispose of the "autonomous commuters" that plague our highways.

As for engine sounds I would love a nice 6.2 liter rumble, it would be a cool "opposite" sound from my high strung V10. I would definitely want something that has more modern refinement and if the 2009 has a newer user interface .... that will pretty much decide it for me.

What I am really now looking for is......

- Panoramic roof, My M6 has a carbon roof with no sunroof at all and its tight and confined in the cabin. I want something airy for commuting.
- Adaptive seats, seems like a cool feature that would be hard to retrofit.
- Distronic cruise, I love this but its third on my list because I have seen that its quite easy to retrofit.
- I would really like gray as my M6 is stratus gray and the two cars together would be awesome!

gratuitous photo plug
Old 04-17-2015, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
Old 04-17-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
What I am really now looking for is......

- Panoramic roof, My M6 has a carbon roof with no sunroof at all and its tight and confined in the cabin. I want something airy for commuting.
- Adaptive seats, seems like a cool feature that would be hard to retrofit.
- Distronic cruise, I love this but its third on my list because I have seen that its quite easy to retrofit.
- I would really like gray as my M6 is stratus gray and the two cars together would be awesome!

gratuitous photo plug
1. Pano is not hard to find, I think most 63's have them. NOT finding one is difficult. Normal sunroof is nice IMHO, I have had both. The Pano squeaks a lot due to flexing of the body.
2. 63's have seats that adjust all normal ways, then heated and air'd (options) and then have the lumbar stuff which includes the side bolsters squeezing you in and out. No dynamic on the 63's.
3. Very few and very hard to find for the Distronic. Just fyi
4.Silvers and grey are pretty easy to find, but with all the specifics might be harder.

Just make sure the Conductor plate was replaced in the transmission on the one you buy. They always go out ONCE around 50-70k. 1k easy fix and no worries after that, but they always go out. x2 for me

Take the resonator off not the exhaust and get a Eurocharged Tune and you will be set. Makes a world of diff.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Would a 70-80k mile E63 deter you? There was one I was looking at pretty hard that's Flint Grey.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...2902/overview/
Old 04-18-2015, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 E55 AMG
Can e63 grill with Benz emblem on it fit on a 04 e55?
Old 04-18-2015, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by westu93
Can e63 grill with Benz emblem on it fit on a 04 e55?
'07-09 W211? Not unless you swap the E63 front bumper as well
'10+ W212? Not at all
Old 04-19-2015, 04:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by HeissRod
'07-09 W211? Not unless you swap the E63 front bumper as well
'10+ W212? Not at all
Thanks! I'm thinking of buying some from eBay think its trustworthy? Or do you know if there's somewhere better I can buy one for my 04?
Old 04-19-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
2004 W211 E55 AMG >>gone but not forgotten > W123 280E > W124 E280 > W126 380SE
Originally Posted by westu93
Thanks! I'm thinking of buying some from eBay think its trustworthy? Or do you know if there's somewhere better I can buy one for my 04?
There are vendors on this forum who sell the E63 Bumper/Grille. Do a search for "Suvneer" for example and you will discover lots of helpful info. Members here tend to be discerning and quick to call out shoddy workmanship or vendors. Make the most of our combined knowledge-base and support the vendors who are generally enthusiasts themselves and happy to help fellow members.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by TheTherapist
There are vendors on this forum who sell the E63 Bumper/Grille. Do a search for "Suvneer" for example and you will discover lots of helpful info. Members here tend to be discerning and quick to call out shoddy workmanship or vendors. Make the most of our combined knowledge-base and support the vendors who are generally enthusiasts themselves and happy to help fellow members.
People need to be aware of that the suvneer might not be a 100% copy of the original. I'm confirming with gary as we speak but I've noticed alot of differences between the OEM and the fake ones. There's eBay store in Australia, actually 2 stores in Melbourne that sell E63 style bumpers and they're so sh*t it's not funny. They're not even close to the original. The original is FAT, it's BEEFY and it looks muscular whereas the fakes look like they have anorexia and bone loss. They look like the meth addict version of the OEM
Old 04-20-2015, 03:04 PM

BMW M6 (E63)
Originally Posted by WideLowandFast
Would a 70-80k mile E63 deter you? There was one I was looking at pretty hard that's Flint Grey.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...2902/overview/
Thanks!! That's actually exactly what I am looking for!! That mileage is perfect. Like I said I'm looking for something high (above 60K) that way if I drive a lot I won't worry about it. Unfortunately when I have a low mileage car I'm one of those guys that's "counting the miles" and that ruins the fun of ownership!!

After reading about the '09 improvements to the user interface I really want to go that route but the ones I have seen are lowest..... 30K!! Its amazing that just that difference seems to drive the price up so much.

I figure my iDrive sucks bad and I have learned to deal with it the "pre-2009" Mercedes interface has to be at least "BMW good"?? I hope!
Old 04-20-2015, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
if you are commuting 100+ miles a day get the E63 - alot of us have had both the 55 and 63 at the same time and have had time to compare creature comforts - and i can say the 63's seats were just so much more comfortable on any extended amount of time in them.

I drove the 55 from SJ to LA and my back was killing me - did the same drive in the 63 and just felt so much more padding without sacrificing fit .

i was sad i let the 55 go, but have to say i have never regretted it when i am in the 63.

and the rumble is quite nice -

am sure some wil flame me, but oh well
Old 04-20-2015, 04:26 PM

13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Thanks!! That's actually exactly what I am looking for!! That mileage is perfect. Like I said I'm looking for something high (above 60K) that way if I drive a lot I won't worry about it. Unfortunately when I have a low mileage car I'm one of those guys that's "counting the miles" and that ruins the fun of ownership!!

After reading about the '09 improvements to the user interface I really want to go that route but the ones I have seen are lowest..... 30K!! Its amazing that just that difference seems to drive the price up so much.

I figure my iDrive sucks bad and I have learned to deal with it the "pre-2009" Mercedes interface has to be at least "BMW good"?? I hope!
I use the Bluetooth Puck for my phone interface with a iPhone, and use a Tune-2-Air bluetooth module for my iPod touch for music and video sound. The iPod using the Tune-2-Air module ($100) works with the steering wheel too. Solved my phone music issues easily. Upgraded the Navi and all is just fine.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
The 09 E63's interface pretty much looks like the new interface that Mercedes has been using since the W221 and C216. It's so beautiful, very expensive and Mercedes looking. I hate aftermarket chinese headunits or even worse, random double-DIN kenwood or pioneer units which look like rice and have a UI designed by someone stuck in the 1980s. The NTG 2.5 is GORGEOUS. It's a really good navigation system too. Way better than other cars. So clear and easy to use. I really get confused why some people bash the stock navigation, it's glorious. Even the NTG1, I've tried Lexus navs, Audi navs, BMW navs.....they're not even close to Mercedes. Mercedes is the best at everything, period, end of story.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...gwagon-177.jpg

http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Mer...09_i03-800.jpg

That's the NTG 2.5, you can change the color settings but the layout and the look gives me goosebumps, it's TOO GOOD!!! ARGHH!!!

By the way, I love the E55, I adore it but the E63 is better. There are so many little details that make it newer and less dated. You have to also remember than in 2009, that was the last year for the W211 and therefore Mercedes had basically all the kinks worked out. No SBC either which is a MOTHERF*CKER to replace, you wouldn't be able to do it yourself and the labor is arsehole tearing.

Last edited by e500slr; 04-21-2015 at 04:01 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:11 AM

BMW M6 (E63)
The 09 E63's interface pretty much looks like the new interface that Mercedes has been using since the W221 and C216. It's so beautiful, very expensive and Mercedes looking. I hate aftermarket chinese headunits or even worse, random double-DIN kenwood or pioneer units which look like rice and have a UI designed by someone stuck in the 1980s. The NTG 2.5 is GORGEOUS. It's a really good navigation system too. Way better than other cars. So clear and easy to use. I really get confused why some people bash the stock navigation, it's glorious. Even the NTG1, I've tried Lexus navs, Audi navs, BMW navs.....they're not even close to Mercedes. Mercedes is the best at everything, period, end of story.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...gwagon-177.jpg

http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Mer...09_i03-800.jpg

That's the NTG 2.5, you can change the color settings but the layout and the look gives me goosebumps, it's TOO GOOD!!! ARGHH!!!

By the way, I love the E55, I adore it but the E63 is better. There are so many little details that make it newer and less dated. You have to also remember than in 2009, that was the last year for the W211 and therefore Mercedes had basically all the kinks worked out. No SBC either which is a MOTHERF*CKER to replace, you wouldn't be able to do it yourself and the labor is arsehole tearing.

Wow!! You are not making this easier for me!! So with what you are saying the 2009 is worth the premium of 6-7K ... correct??

I'll have to do some research on the SBC as I have no clue what it is (besides something with brakes).

Question on the distronic, in 2009 is it the newer style that allows the vehicle to follow all the way to a dead stop??

Thanks!!
Old 04-21-2015, 10:15 AM

13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Wow!! You are not making this easier for me!! So with what you are saying the 2009 is worth the premium of 6-7K ... correct??

I'll have to do some research on the SBC as I have no clue what it is (besides something with brakes).

Question on the distronic, in 2009 is it the newer style that allows the vehicle to follow all the way to a dead stop??

Thanks!!
If you have the bucks and can find the exact car you want get the 09'. Yes it has a great command system. I will post a picture of what I am using now later, but I bought for work a "The Joy Factory" magnetic mount cup holder iPad Air holder, which makes the pad sit out of the way for me and if I am the only one in the car, it is all I use for Navi. The factory system updated is fine, but for doing everything but phone and music its all there on a huge screen. Everyone who sees it wants it usually . I will post a pic.

Distronic----- yes there averrable on these cars as a option, but I have looked at maybe 20 63's before getting mine and never once saw it. I think they are pretty rare to find optioned, maybe wrong but you likely have a hard time finding one.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63

Thanks!!
Not sure if it's worth an extra 6-7k but it's definately night and day compared to the old one. You can retrofit the NTG 2.5 and for alot less than 6-7k. Check out this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-question.html

You have to keep in mind the 06/07s and even 08s had that head bolt issue which could turn really nasty if you're unlucky and your car has that issue. Alot of people needed new motors because of that defect. You could install ARP ones but that would cost you a fair bit, it would eliminate the problem though. I think they had a cam issue with the early M156s as well.

Not sure if the Distronic will follow to a dead stop. Do you mean brake to a dead stop or take off from? I'm pretty sure all would brake to a dead stop, no? I've never had Distronic so I wouldn't know. It's nice though, definitely underrated and not easy or cheap to retrofit so if you want it you'll need to buy it from the factory.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:35 AM

2004 E55, 2013 M3, 2006 M3, 2002 M3
Anyone who calls the NTG 2.5 crap is a retard and shouldn't be walking without a helmet.
How do you really feel?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55 / E63 differences (Not an engine discussion)