W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Air Intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 02:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 E55, GMC Whipple Supercharged Quadrasteer Denali Pickup,Big Bored Hyabusa with nitrous
Originally Posted by menace2sobriety
What are you using to join up to the radiator inlets

Do you have 3.5" 45's with cut offs of the original plastic inlet pipes? (if you know what i mean)

Got any close up shots of that area
I was able to open up the flanges on the shroud a slight bit with grinding a little with the dremell and flaring them out with a heat gun ( hard to really open them up much) . We transitioned from the 3.5 tubing into oval shapes so they slide onto the lip of the opening in the shroud. So, I didn't use any part of the OEM plastic tubes if that was what you were asking. I will be pulling them off once more this weekend so I can take a couple of pics of how we did the sizing of the front pipe end.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 E55, GMC Whipple Supercharged Quadrasteer Denali Pickup,Big Bored Hyabusa with nitrous
Originally Posted by ManuelCarrillo3
Any more pics? I'd like to feature this on the MBWorld homepage.
I will take some more pics and try to show those areas better .
Old 04-23-2015, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG WAGON 2004
Originally Posted by Boosted-AMG
I was able to open up the flanges on the shroud a slight bit with grinding a little with the dremell and flaring them out with a heat gun ( hard to really open them up much) . We transitioned from the 3.5 tubing into oval shapes so they slide onto the lip of the opening in the shroud. So, I didn't use any part of the OEM plastic tubes if that was what you were asking. I will be pulling them off once more this weekend so I can take a couple of pics of how we did the sizing of the front pipe end.
Sounds good Some pics would be great!

I've recently been thinking about ways of increasing the restrictive inlet and intake generally on the r/h side of the radiator. I cut the outer side of the plastic inlet off and extended a silicone 45 degree 89mm - 76mm bend through to the front. It's increased the volume on that side by app 20 -25%. I'm not sure how much difference it will make, but I was getting hung up on the fact that its was more restrictive than it needed to be

I haven't finished it yet as it needs tidying up and I need to sort out the front snorkels. The thing is I like the look of the stock air filter housing and engine cover so I wanted to retain them if possible. It's a work in progress!!

The silicone bend is pushed in slightly where it's tight to the power steering reservoir, but nowhere near to the same restriction of the original.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Boosted-AMG
Winner winner chicken dinner right here. I've been waiting for someone else to do this. I drimmeled out the outer plastic part of the opening closest to the city lights on the driver's side about 3yrs ago