Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 06:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
ECU Tune Pinging

Hey Guys,

Recently I fitted my E55 with a Eurocharged TCU Tune which has been great

Today I flashed a Eurocharged ECU tune on

Now upon boosting through 2nd gear I thought I heard it pinging just before it was shifting into gear, almost like a mild spray paint can"s" x10 rattling before gear shift @6700rpm (or what ever the tuned TCU shifts at)

* I am logging on every drive and I am going to be taking it to a dyno for a power/health run in a few weeks

My question is, since the ECU "learns" does it still need to learn/settle after a re-flash, I would have driven about 10kms tops and got the car up to operating temp before hitting the motorway and booting it

If it does then fine, it should adapt to the fuel I am using etc (98 Ron)

Otherwise I need to start logging and send these to Jeremy to fine tune

I just need to know to drive it out OR map/log and get it fine tuned by sending the logs back to Jerry

MODS: (pretty much stock) - Heat Exchanger/ 010 Pump, TCU Tune, Hurricane Scoops, SL55 Intake, Belt Wrap Kit, 1 step colder plugs

Thanks everyone
Old 05-16-2015, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Stop. That rattling can't be good. When you heard that rattling did the ecu pull timing drastically?
Old 05-16-2015, 03:44 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Hulk
Stop. That rattling can't be good. When you heard that rattling did the ecu pull timing drastically?
It was right at 2-3 gear change and I throttled off as soon as it started to change

Looking through the data logs nothing looks out of place at the speed it would have occured, I'll go back through them again

I may need to do one more blast to make sure I just didn't go over some loose stones at that point that may have flicked up

It was the only time I took it all the way to the 3rd gear change, all the other times were close but I throttled off a couple of 100 rpm earlier and heard nothing
Old 05-16-2015, 03:48 PM

2004 E55 AMG
It wasnt like an old carburetor timing too far advanced ping if you know what i mean, it was almost like some small stones getting bounced off the cats or floorpan by your feet
Old 05-16-2015, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Hmmmmm, I would not do a wot until you get some new gas just in case. Was the gas from a reputable station? Bad gas can certainly have bad effects
Old 05-16-2015, 04:02 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Hulk
Hmmmmm, I would not do a wot until you get some new gas just in case. Was the gas from a reputable station? Bad gas can certainly have bad effects
Gas was from a major petrol name, premium fuel guaranteed minimum 97.5 ron I think it is which I think is equivalent to US 93 octane, I guess I could go to another company and get their premium just in case

Im going to go back through my logs and check everything again, I may also rip my fuel pump cover off to check its condition as well

I did ask Jerry for "max power" so maybe it is a little too aggressive top end

Last edited by menace2sobriety; 05-16-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by menace2sobriety
It wasnt like an old carburetor timing too far advanced ping if you know what i mean, it was almost like some small stones getting bounced off the cats or floorpan by your feet
This is exactly what my pinging truck sounds like. Very different from pinging in a motorcycle, which I've also experienced. You'd think that the knock sensor would pick this up though.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2006 CLS63, 2004 ML55, 2014 E350 sport
Id be looking at fuelpumps and filter. All you really need to do is remove the back seat and inspect the fuel pump connector if there is any sign of discolouration or melting it could be part of the issue. Also inspect the top lid for cracks where the two prongs go down into the tank.

Mine is also in NZ and I have the eurocharged tune and tcu.

Mine was specifically setup to be safe for 95 octane by the previous owner and thats what I usually put in it. Every 5 fills or so it might get some 98. Never had any problems with this car due to the tune.

IMO you likely have other problems unless eurocharged has somehow put the wrong program in it. But you say you wanted the max power tune.... yeah that could be an issue due to the ron/mon fuel differences between here and America but Jerry and Co should know all about that, end of the day though its still a remote tune. Id get a tune thats safe for 95 then run 98 like you obviously are and it shouldnt be an issue.

Also note there is a shed load of heat shielding around the exhaust areas (footwell area) on this car maybe with the extra rpm you are making something resonate??

You have star so you should be able to log what cylinder is pinging hardest? Did you have the windows down or something?? I cant hear jack from this engine with all the sound deadening going on. When I pulled the drip cover out of the hood and could hear the supercharger like crazy loud yeah I could understand you maybe hearing some ping but for the ping to be this apparent id be surprised if you havent already cracked a ringland.

Last edited by austingtir; 05-17-2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:01 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Started the car up this morning and there is a noticeable squeal up front, yesterday with the tune I added a UPD double idler pulley as my old one had a hairline crack

Checking first thing this morning I have found the bearing on the SMALL drive belt idler to the lower right of the supercharger pulley is on its way out

There were no issues recorded in Star so my guess is it was bearing noise at high rpm and even a possibility of a ball bearing coming out of it and bouncing under the floor pan