Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing To Cars That I shouldn't be???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
No tune yet, although I will be modding soon. Of course, after I get everything checked and fixed.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the track. I'm more of a taking off on a red light or punching it on the freeway, but point taken.

FWIW, I know this is a total noob move but I took a stopwatch and did three 0-60 runs. I got 5.1, 5.1, 5.2... From what I've read we're supposed to be 4.3 stock.

Odds are, like mentioned above, the supercharger probably engaged in the beginning but would disengage shortly after. Only thing is I never once felt a loss of power. I would think if the supercharger went out I'd really feel it.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:26 AM

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
clk63, cls55, ml63, (w210) E55
shoot out their tires, first. problem solved. like a boss?
Old 06-01-2015, 09:04 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 E55 amg
Originally Posted by Leempolo3
No tune yet, although I will be modding soon. Of course, after I get everything checked and fixed.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the track. I'm more of a taking off on a red light or punching it on the freeway, but point taken.

FWIW, I know this is a total noob move but I took a stopwatch and did three 0-60 runs. I got 5.1, 5.1, 5.2... From what I've read we're supposed to be 4.3 stock.

Odds are, like mentioned above, the supercharger probably engaged in the beginning but would disengage shortly after. Only thing is I never once felt a loss of power. I would think if the supercharger went out I'd really feel it.
When I bought my car too, never felt loss of power. The car run strong until I want to get a base line before adding mods. Took the car to the track, ran it, and was trapping between 106-108mph all day, then I listened to advice of members to check the ic pump. Changed the pump, and was trapping ~115mph. You don't really need to be a fan of the track, but it's the best place to get a base line for any mods you add to the car.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
You have a fuel smell.... so possible leaky fuel pump / tank / fuelling issues

You also state that have a possible vacuum leak that needs addressing

You have a Loss of power..... most likely IC Pump (IAT's can be viewed via Torque or another data logging set-up - they are not the same thing as your "engine" temp)

Yet you are out there trying to and continuing to race?

I would look into fixing these issues and get some logs before putting the foot down and before any detrimental damage is done

Good luck with it all
Old 06-02-2015, 12:54 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by menace2sobriety
You have a fuel smell.... so possible leaky fuel pump / tank / fuelling issues

You also state that have a possible vacuum leak that needs addressing

You have a Loss of power..... most likely IC Pump (IAT's can be viewed via Torque or another data logging set-up - they are not the same thing as your "engine" temp)

Yet you are out there trying to and continuing to race?

I would look into fixing these issues and get some logs before putting the foot down and before any detrimental damage is done

Good luck with it all
I haven't been continuing to race. After the Infiniti race, I thought maybe it was modded that's why I ran against my friends 435i. I knew he was stock so I needed to validate what occurred with the Infiniti, whether it was him or me. But the car is being worked on currently so thanks to everyone for your help!
Old 06-02-2015, 04:38 PM

2004 E55 AMG
[QUOTE=Leempolo3;6450599]

QUOTE]

Theres gotta be something majorly wrong if you weren't able to run a 4.3 on your stopwatch, Im sure that's the most accurate method I hear NHRA is actually switching to stopwatches next year!

Last edited by nickgbmx; 06-02-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:08 PM

2006 E55
[QUOTE=nickgbmx;6452426][QUOTE=Leempolo3;6450599]

Theres gotta be something majorly wrong if you weren't able to run a 4.3 on your stopwatch, Im sure that's the most accurate method I hear NHRA is actually switching to stopwatches next year!
So even with me saying "FWIW" and acknowledging it was a noob move, you still decided to chime in with that comment huh? Hope you feel better about yourself now
Old 06-02-2015, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by nickgbmx
This coming from the forum noob who can't figure out how to correctly quote someone.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:48 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Got me! haha!
Old 06-02-2015, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s

What happens is, as the IAT goes up the ECU pulls timing = power loss.
Now when the IAT gets too hot (heat soaked) then the SC comes off line and your E55 turns in to a 4 cylinder Camry, and you know it with out a doubt.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:29 PM

2004 E55 AMG, 2005 E55 AMG (Sold)
what tires do you have on & how much meat is on them? i used to spin through all 3 first gears until i switched to brand new PSS and even still will spin off the line a bit even on a good launch.
these newer AWD cars that you are racing will jump on you off the line, that is not a surprise to me, but once you hook up you should see them quickly fading away in your rear view. it really shouldn't be more than a second or so of joy for them before you are gone. 0-60 of 5.1 is horrible and definitely not right ..

its really easy to know if its your IC pump. when you first take out your car, no prior pulls or hard driving, put it in 3rd and do a pull from 40, even with a failing IC pump, that first pull should still feel pretty much like full power. its the subsequent pulls after that initial one that you will start to feel like you are in a C300 and not an e55.

like others mentioned, get a bluetooth OBDII & use with torque app to watch IATs ...its helpful, especially now that its starting to get warm out

out of curiosity, do you know the setup of the 435 you raced? with the new cars it makes a big difference- a stock rwd 6 spd manual 435i will be a full .5 seconds slower off the line then a stock awd auto 435i
i walked a new m3 coupe the other day, i had 4 people in my car vs. just the driver in the m3 and HE was the one who wanted to race. we pulled from 20 to 80, afterwards he pulls up and asks WTH mods i have in my car, i said of course i'm stock ..poor guy must've had some buyers remorse when he got home

Last edited by veryswag; 06-02-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:41 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by veryswag
what tires do you have on & how much meat is on them? i used to spin through all 3 first gears until i switched to brand new PSS and even still will spin off the line a bit even on a good launch.
these newer AWD cars that you are racing will jump on you off the line, that is not a surprise to me, but once you hook up you should see them quickly fading away in your rear view. it really shouldn't be more than a second or so of joy for them before you are gone. 0-60 of 5.1 is horrible and definitely not right ..

its really easy to know if its your IC pump. when you first take out your car, no prior pulls or hard driving, put it in 3rd and do a pull from 40, even with a failing IC pump, that first pull should still feel pretty much like full power. its the subsequent pulls after that initial one that you will start to feel like you are in a C300 and not an e55.

like others mentioned, get a bluetooth OBDII & use with torque app to watch IATs ...its helpful, especially now that its starting to get warm out

out of curiosity, do you know the setup of the 435 you raced? with the new cars it makes a big difference- a stock rwd 6 spd manual 435i will be a full .5 seconds slower off the line then a stock awd auto 435i
i walked a new m3 coupe the other day, i had 4 people in my car vs. just the driver in the m3 and HE was the one who wanted to race. we pulled from 20 to 80, afterwards he pulls up and asks WTH mods i have in my car, i said of course i'm stock ..poor guy must've had some buyers remorse when he got home
I have some ****ty falken's on them. I'd say 60-70% tread left so somewhat newer. I'll definitely be looking to get some PSS on them soon.

Agreed. I have a bluetooth OBDII on its way from amazon.

The 435 was stock auto... If I'm not mistaken, I think the Infiniti was AWD and the 435 is a RWD. Either way, it shouldn't have even been close. I can't wait to get it all fixed and rape my buddies 435
Old 06-03-2015, 04:45 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
What happens is, as the IAT goes up the ECU pulls timing = power loss.
Now when the IAT gets too hot (heat soaked) then the SC comes off line and your E55 turns in to a 4 cylinder Camry, and you know it with out a doubt.
It all makes sense. Thanks!!
Old 06-03-2015, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
Good tires on these cars is everything. Crappy tires = crappy results.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:51 PM

2004 E55 AMG
I have some ****ty falken's on them. I'd say 60-70% tread left so somewhat newer. I'll definitely be looking to get some PSS on them soon.

Agreed. I have a bluetooth OBDII on its way from amazon.

The 435 was stock auto... If I'm not mistaken, I think the Infiniti was AWD and the 435 is a RWD. Either way, it shouldn't have even been close. I can't wait to get it all fixed and rape my buddies 435

That could be a lot of your issue to is wheel spin. I just put on a brand new set of Pilot Super Sports and man what a difference it made from the 60 percent Hankook Ventus V12 I had, it feels like a whole new car. As everyone else stated monitor your IAT closely and try and feather the throttle out of the hole, it may seem like its slower but I assure you a partial throttle launch with traction will net you much better results than a full throttle launch and spinning through the first two gears
Old 06-06-2015, 01:19 PM
Banned

1999 MB C43 2004 E55 AMG, 2004 Suzuki GSXR, gl63
Just replaced my intercooler pump yesterday, and I'm very pleased, car still felt relatively fast, but felt sluggish at high speed. What I mean by that is that it felt like it was surging in 4th and 5th. It felt like the power wasn't smoothed, I figure it was pulling timing. After the replacement it feels like it has all the low end torque back where it should be. Even more please with the fact my mechanic only charged me 50$ to change it out!
Old 06-06-2015, 03:02 PM

2006 E55
And I just confirmed what everyone was suspecting. After plugging in my OBDII bluetooth that I received in the mail yesterday, my cruising IAT temp was 145-150f! The weather outside was 65. After I gave it some throttle, it went up to 206! The temp took forever to come back down as well. I'll be installing the new Bosch pump this week.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
And I just confirmed what everyone was suspecting. After plugging in my OBDII bluetooth that I received in the mail yesterday, my cruising IAT temp was 145-150f! The weather outside was 65. After I gave it some throttle, it went up to 206! The temp took forever to come back down as well. I'll be installing the new Bosch pump this week.
When you do the install, you may want to split the system as long as you have it open, only requires some hose and small tank.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...necessary.html

Last edited by Yacht Master; 06-06-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55, 07 ML500
When you do the install, you may want to split the system as long as you have it open, only requires some hose and small tank.

This/\/\/\ Every little bit helps.. This is an easy mod and is cheap..
Old 06-07-2015, 04:10 PM

2006 E55

That's exactly what I'm going to do... But the small BMW reservoir though, not the trunk tank. I hope it'll be enough cooling for the mods I plan on doing (PLM HE, and new Bosch pump as well). Which is a 180 ASP crank, Tune, and Kleemann Headers. No S/C pulley. And this would only be for the occasional blast on the freeway or from a light. No back-to-back's or going to the track. What do you guys think enough cooling?
Old 06-07-2015, 08:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
04 E55
Holy smokes! Also, what OBDII device have you got? What can it monitor? I'm in need of some timing, iat, and AFR numbers...
Old 06-07-2015, 08:25 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by sexyxe
Holy smokes! Also, what OBDII device have you got? What can it monitor? I'm in need of some timing, iat, and AFR numbers...
Here is the link to the one I got. So far its working flawlessly. No connectivity issues.
Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive

Can anyone help with my previous post? Last thing I want to do is find myself in the same situation with those mods and cooling.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:38 PM

2006 E55 AMG
I'm of the opinion that the split cooling without adding a large tank will have very minimal effects on IATs. If you go that route, at least run straight water (with corrosion inhibitors) for your use, I think it is actually a waste of time and money. (I do have a BMW reservoir if you're interested though)
Old 06-08-2015, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by uraberg
I'm of the opinion that the split cooling without adding a large tank will have very minimal effects on IATs. If you go that route, at least run straight water (with corrosion inhibitors) for your use, I think it is actually a waste of time and money. (I do have a BMW reservoir if you're interested though)
You are partially right. Split cooling has no real benefit in day to day driving. I logged mine before and after and found no change whatsoever (I do have a larger HE). However the recovery time after wot pulls was tons better/faster with split. Less than 90 seconds on average to get to 10 to 15 degrees above ambient temps with split. Non split was several minutes or longer
Old 06-08-2015, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by kponti
Non split was several minutes or longer
With the larger HE?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Losing To Cars That I shouldn't be???